• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 amplifier with MW RS-100-24 SMPS power supply (measurements)

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Why do we have zero to few, if any sources for enclosures for these open cage units?
Because these units are primarily intended for industrial automation and IT technologies and are built in caseworks of the completed gear.

howard416

Great idea, thankyou, I was just starting to think about a cheapskate way to box-up my just-ordered LRS-100-24. I have an old external drive gathering dust up in the loft. Somewhere...
An old micro PC case.

A cake pan. Punch out holes for ventilation.

A cookie tin. Punch out holes for ventilation. (Grounding may be tricky with the thin sheet material).

A cooking oil can. Punch out holes for ventilation. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Filippo-Berio-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-101-4-Fl-Oz/10307311

A heavy-duty plastic box/tote. It used to be that plastic/fiberglass electrical enclosures were actually pretty cheap, but not anymore unfortunately.

:)

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There'd be a market for these MeanWell supplies sold in nice cases, I think, like the one earlier in the thread. I did a lot of homebrew cigar box box builds when the 3116 amp boards first came out, but it got a bit wearying, and then I fried a NAD cd player chip when I had a static zap in winter to the metal volume knob of one of those amps.

howard416

There'd be a market for these MeanWell supplies sold in nice cases, I think, like the one earlier in the thread. I did a lot of homebrew cigar box box builds when the 3116 amp boards first came out, but it got a bit wearying, and then I fried a NAD cd player chip when I had a static zap in winter to the metal volume knob of one of those amps.
How would that be any different than in a beefier metal case though? You've got to ground them for safety, so...

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
As this thread has been resurrected, please let me show THD vs. frequency plot of this amplifier measured at 43W/4ohm with 48kHz bandwidth. I thing it is interesting to show a comparison of the same kind of measurement made with Hypex NC252MP. No LC LPF measuring filter used.

A07_thdfreq_4R_43W_@48kHz.png

PMA-NC252MP_thdfreq_65W_@48kHz.png

RDoc

This is really excellent information. Thanks very much for doing all this!

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
Some new measurements, with E1DA Cosmos ADC.

A07_1k_4R.png

A07_1k_4R_10W.png

A07_1k_20W.png

A07_1k_40W.png

A07_CCIF_4R_14W.png

1kHz harmonic distortion is good, though with many high order harmonic products.
HF linearity (19+20kHz IMD) is poor, as with many other simple class D amplifiers.
Noise should be lower.
Absence of mains supply spuriae lines is worth mentioning, quite excellent result.

D

Deleted member 58865

Would a medical power supply improve SINAD or SNR?

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
I am preparing to measure this little amplifier

so I was seeking for a SMPS power supply with 19Vdc voltage. I found one in my stock, which was originally a PSU for my very old notebook. The PSU looks like this

SMPS_19Vdc_3A.jpg

and seems to be the same unit that is recommended for the small Wondom amplifier

So I have decided to try this power supply with my AIYIMA A07 and I was very happily surprised with the result.

This is a spectrum of 1kHz/20W/4ohm
A07_1k_20W_PSU19Vdc.png

Quite low distortion and please note total absence of mains spuriae harmonics. Of course proper wiring of the measuring system is necessary to get it.

This is THD+N vs. output power
A07_1k_THDNlevel_PSU19Vdc.png

And this is THD+N vs. frequency at 20W/4ohm
A07_20W_THDNfreq_PSU19Vdc.png

With this power supply, we get clean 20W/4ohm and acceptable 30W/4ohm. The PSU construction is rugged, well built, and the unit I have has been in operation since 2010.

Top Bottom