• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 PRO

Galliardist

Major Contributor
This isn't what you're doing though... Being blunt? Hardly, You're simply being a dick.

Since when is opamp swapping dangerous? Since when is drilling a set of holes in a piece of aluminum some sort of dangerous electronics crusade? I replaced a capacitor... It is assumed it was done safely, I don't need to produce a demonstration.

Everyone in this thread who have posted their experiences, have all said at the outset that everything they post should be considered subjective... Because the reality is... no matter what. What does and does not sound good to you, regardless of any real scientific measurements being done or not, is still subjective. Only a few of us have the luxury of A/B testing the A07 to the A07 pro... Did you notice that there are people in both camps? There are some who think and feel that one sounds better than the other.

Get much worse? How can it get worse than you, deciding to be misinformed by not fully reading the thread, taking things written, out of their context.. Misunderstanding people's posts because of that, jumping to conclusions and then offering a woefully misinformed opinion on thread specifics. Imagine doing all that... Just to come off as a troll? Can't get much worse than that.

Seems like your comments here show the least amount of dedicated research and understanding possible... I'm embarrassed for you.

Why not go back... Follow through. Find out where and why you're wrong, in the spefic places that you were wrong - and then rectify the situation here. Seriously... We will all be better off if you - be a bit more respectful and do your due diligence.
I'm entirely in context, though. You say, quite clearly, that you intended this to be a "subjective thread". And yes, I read the thread and it is subjective.

Nobody here is doing a damn thing to demonstrate that there is any improvement from what you are doing. That is fundamental here.

Nobody here is checking for any problems that may be caused by your changes. You're actually at threat of pushing your amplifier into oscillation, overheating and burning out components or the entire amplifier, damaging the rest of your systems into the bargain.

You are clearly dealing with heat from the changes you are making, because you are making further modifications to deal with it: you are pushing an amplifier that normally runs fairly cool, as I understand it, to run hot.

But yes, I'm a dick, and I'm reporting myself to the admins. Good riddance to me. One of them will probably still have a few suggestions to make about your activities here. You might at least want to heed them.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Obviously, this thread, which is mine... Has been subjective from the start, both in design and goal. Do try to keep up.
We tolerate Subjective topics to a point. But at the heart of ASR is Science and Engineering. Do try to keep up. Any further problems from this thread and we will close Your Thread. Making that Objectively Clear.

Keep up with the personal insults and you will find your way to the door all by yourself.

Last edited:

conradj

We tolerate Subjective topics to a point. But at the heart of ASR is Science and Engineering. Do try to keep up. Any further problems from this thread and we will close Your Thread. Making that Objectively Clear.

Don't do that. Speaking as someone who hasn't any measuring equipment.

Scrufboy may be a bit excitable when people starting rambling on abt other amplifiers besides the A07 Pro and pulling the discussion away from the topic of the thread, but this is an interesting thread.

And it has been more nuts and bolts than a lot of audio forum discussions. Scrufboy is very detailed abt what he does to this amp; he's even encouraged me to start posting photos of whatever i'm doing, and posting links to stuff, both of which i'm usually extremely lazy and laissez faire abt.

And he's been quite honest abt what he's finding out. For instance in the beginning of his ownership of the A07 Pro he dissed this amp for having better sound with BT than when using the RCA inputs. Then, when he found out he's made a mistake, that his other equipment is enhancing the BT output before feeding it to the A07 Pro, he's told us all abt it in detail.

A lot of people wouldn't've done that, they'd just stop engaging in the thread and go somewheres else, and left everbody with wrong info and impressions abt the amp.

There's precious little other discussions out there abt this amp, which is too bad as it's quite a nice amp and deserves to be talked abt more than it has been. Aiyima really did produce a nicer sounding amp than the A07, for not much extra money. Both of these amps i now own and can attest to this one keeping its quality of sound at higher power outputs, which the A07 doesn't do. The A07 sound deteriorates when you crank it way up and play it loud.

And now i understand why so many people are into modifying the A07, and why they're concentrating on changing certain components. Also why the Aiyima advertising abt the A07 Pro singles out particular aspects of what they've improved on, and that those actually do make a distinct improvement.

It's all been very educational. So please, hand out what chastisements you need to in order to keep things on track, but please don't close this thread yet.

Last edited:

conradj

To get back to this A07 Pro amp. i've located in my country 63V Rubycon caps at 2700uF that'll fit, 2 of which can be used to replace the one 50V 3300uF capacitor in the amp, with a little jimmying and extra wire.

Thinking abt whether i'll pull the trigger on those. It'll give me more peace of mind abt running it with the 48V SMPS. The 50V 3300uF cap doesn't look like it'll come out without a hitch as it's been glued onto the PCB with some red stuff that doesn't seem like it'll release easy.

If i was to try the heat gun on it i'd have to tape up beforehand an awful lot of nearby bits.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor

Keep up with the personal insults and you will find your way to the door all by yourself.

Easy there - let’s give the fellow a bit of a pass.
He already mentioned early on something about Ausbergers like syndrome.
(I forget the phrase).
Maybe gets a bit over passionate…

Obviously, this thread, which is mine... Has been subjective from the start, both in design and goal. Do try to keep up.
The thread is owned by ASR, you have no rights to it.
If you think you do, then you are subjectively deluded as to what the objective facts are.

But yes, I'm a dick, and I'm reporting myself to the admins...

^that^ is a combo of “Aussie and Orwellian”, or “Aussie and Kafka” that is a high achievement.
I usually do not stoop, or fold the knee, to admitting a thought crime.

There is an Aussie on the podium…
8ac22630-26c3-4631-886a-84060a5fd7b4.png

And another:
3b50581f420cd1a1a8afc02ba34d235c.jpg

Calleberg

Hey gang..

Also... It is important to note that it literally makes no sense what the Aiyima rep said about these op-amp positions.

The rep said...

"U8 input buffer amplification

U9 Tone

U2 left channel single end differential

U3 right channel single turn differential

U16 aux output buffer
This is the reference corresponding to the operational amplifier chip"

We can make sense of U8, U9, and U16

However... The wording used by Aiyima rep for U2 and U3 do not make any sense at all.

First... The amp has no balanced output or input. It is single ended. So using the term differential in describing U2 and U3 makes no sense. It is single ended, period.

Secondly, you cannot find any audio references in regards to single turn differential... You get automotive information.

So.. It begs the question why would the Aiyima Rep tell us the U2 and U3 do two distinctly different things... This makes absolutely no sense at all.

In discussing this with others, they agree that the Aiyima rep either is steeped in a language barrier issue. Or they just don't know enough to convey accurately.
Well in this case the person employed by Aiyima is actually correct.

The inputs to the TPA3255 is indeed differential. Those OP amps is taking your single ended RCA input signal and converting it to the differential signal the TPA3255 chip needs.

Do try to keep up ;)

Berlun

And he's been quite honest abt what he's finding out. For instance in the beginning of his ownership of the A07 Pro he dissed this amp for having better sound with BT than when using the RCA inputs. Then, when he found out he's made a mistake, that his other equipment is enhancing the BT output before feeding it to the A07 Pro, he's told us all abt it in detail.

A lot of people wouldn't've done that, they'd just stop engaging in the thread and go somewheres else, and left everbody with wrong info and impressions abt the amp.

It would be honesty if after realizing that he has not been able to properly test this amplifier, he would have at least modified all the messages in which he has criticized Aiyima for making this amplifier. He even called it a "ripoff", gratuitously hurting a brand, especially in such an important forum where many people come to see opinions of the equipment before buying it. And as you say, many people can be influenced by such opinions and not continue reading, causing damage to the brand and to the forum.

But hey, he is the "owner" of this thread.

OK... Now back to what we are here for.. And because of what I found. This is now a review. And I am not pleased.

I'm appalled Aiyima. I just spent hours testing this amplifier and I have to say, I was right. I didn't need any blind testing at all. This Amp sounds absolutely amazing, but only through Bluetooth. Just as I suspected. Aiyima did something so that Bluetooth was very dynamic and punchy. Treble at 3 o'clock and bass at 2 proved to sound the best for the speakers I used. The speakers used in the test are Tritrix transmission line towers. I used a DROK power supply dialed in at 36V 10A and at 40V 10A.

I volume matched nvidia high definition audio from my monitor, A Schiit Hel 2E DAC and my phone. In order, the Bluetooth came out on top. The Nvidia monitor and the Schiit sounded the same. Very rolled of on the treble and lacking in dynamics or punch. It sounded very dull. Every member of my household could hear the differences immediately. Switching was able to be done really quickly. The differences were so distinct that you didn't even need a blind test.

What a ripoff! But you know... I suspected this. I will have the ability to try a couple of different DAC's soon. With that, I will also test the amplifier against two A07's. But this.. This A07 "pro" is not a "Pro" anything. It is a damn good Bluetooth amplifier... But in a chain. Ugh! It sounds sub par and sad.

Tell me why Aiyima, that a decent DAC, not the best though, sounded dull like an inverted V. But your Bluetooth implementation sounds completely amazing?!? I mean it's not even close... Buyer beware.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

It is costly... But I will be putting at least one of these in the DAC that I am using...

I may buy one more to put into the AO7 pro... Giving it two.

I am pretty sure it needs 2 of these.

Baby steps...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306_151915_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230306_151915_Gmail.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 84
OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

The 50V 3300uF cap doesn't look like it'll come out without a hitch as it's been glued onto the PCB with some red stuff that doesn't seem like it'll release easy.
I was able to literally snap this stuff off with a little bit of effort. It chips off of the board easily and off the cap.

Just remember... And be safe. If you have used this operationally. You need to drain that cap. It won't cook you or the Amp if it shorts... But you are way better off being safe. Drain that cap!

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

I'm entirely in context, though. You say, quite clearly, that you intended this to be a "subjective thread". And yes, I read the thread and it is subjective.

Nobody here is doing a damn thing to demonstrate that there is any improvement from what you are doing. That is fundamental here.

Nobody here is checking for any problems that may be caused by your changes. You're actually at threat of pushing your amplifier into oscillation, overheating and burning out components or the entire amplifier, damaging the rest of your systems into the bargain.

You are clearly dealing with heat from the changes you are making, because you are making further modifications to deal with it: you are pushing an amplifier that normally runs fairly cool, as I understand it, to run hot.

But yes, I'm a dick, and I'm reporting myself to the admins. Good riddance to me. One of them will probably still have a few suggestions to make about your activities here. You might at least want to heed them.
Heat though that is not outside of normal for the components...

Clearly you decided to not read everything and therefore you ignored the fact that I was working in concert with the manufacturer of the op-amps I chose to use.

It was verified that my temps were in operational norms. You would have known that if you bothered to do your due diligence...

But I imagine you have a plethora of excuses for why you didn't know the facts.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Well in this case the person employed by Aiyima is actually correct.

The inputs to the TPA3255 is indeed differential. Those OP amps is taking your single ended RCA input signal and converting it to the differential signal the TPA3255 chip needs.

Do try to keep up ;)
Not in the way it was actually worded...

The original post stated that one opamp did one thing to only one channel and then a completely different thing to the other channel.

And if you followed the thread, someone already clarified what the Aiyima contributor must have meant.

Last edited:
OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

He even called it a "ripoff"
This is taking my statement out of context.

Why did I say this? And if it is opinion.. Then it is subjective at best. Therefore it is not disingenuous.

If you ignore why I said what I said... Then your opinion of what I stated doesn't matter at all.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

would be honesty if after realizing that he has not been able to properly test this amplifier, he would have at least modified all the messages in which he has criticized Aiyima for making this amplifier.
For the haters... And the supporters. I have been running the A07 Pro for now how long? Never shutting it down... It is performing flawlessly. Sounding amazing! For how many days now? It is still powered on... Still sounds amazing!

Remember... All I did was put 5 SparkosLabs SS3602 op-amps in all 5 sockets... With that, anyone that is ignorant of what these op-amps do differently than standard IC op-amps can be completely dismissed summarily.

I reiterate - Without knowing the technology, ideology and design of the SS3602 op-amp thoroughly, anyone commenting without being knowledgeable in this regard can be thoroughly dismissed. Period.

Addressing every concern, handling and overcoming every obstacle. Being forthright and honest with every endeavor along the way... One must ask, what is the goal of these naysayers/challengers? I've been working closely with highly qualified electronic engineers along the way to address any and all concerns that arose.
Yet we have those few who attack/challenge me... Why? It's performing like a PRO! I took every precaution and addressed every issue in an experiment. At no time did I suggest that anyone follow me.

The Sparkos SS3602's are a fantastic upgrade to this amp. Just as they were proven to be for the A07.

However... What my endeavors have given to this community is valuable. Remember, I had to put heatsinks on the 12V voltage regulators. This was suggested by the manufacturer of the SS3602 before I installed his op-amps Remember, I chose to vent the case... Why? Because of increased heat that was anticipated due to proper research.

This is not a radical, uncommon thing. Most high end manufacturers actually vent their enclosures.

But the most important part that most of these challengers have missed is... I did not ever recommend that anyone do what I chose to do with my amplifier.

I chose to do these things simply because I can, for the benefit of the community. I actually dissuaded people from going the road I chose. Why? Because there are a myriad of possibilities with this little amp. And my approach was never to be considered as the be all end all approach. It is interesting that some have caught on to that, while others have completely missed it. My endeavors were simply a launchpad for those interested in trying out different combinations of op-amps.

With that.. I informed the community of what would express itself if one chose the route I took. I also informed the community, that with IC op-amp swapping that they would most likely never ever enter into a higher heat situation. I also inferred that those willing, might find a unique, robust combination of IC op-amps that could deliver a unique, noteworthy sound... One worth documenting and sharing... So for the few that are engaging me and have missed all of that... I suggest you simply chose to be better. I am not harming anyone, nor am I putting anyone in danger. On the contrary. I am at the bleeding edge and informing everyone of my findings, to the best of my ability.

On the bluetooth front... For those who suggested, namely @Berlun , that I go back and alter every post about my Bluetooth findings...

That is just stupid... 1, It would not show the progression of the thread and it would require everyone who originally responded to those statements to alter or augment their responses also.

A retraction is what it is.. And I retracted and corrected myself. What you suggested - going back and altering every prior post is stupid... Why? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T! You have a limited amount of time to edit and alter posts here.. So your statement about me being honest... And going back to fix all the previous posts just shows ignorance on your part. It is impossible to do. Period.

That is why retractions, when necessary are sufficient.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

To follow up with Berlun's "honesty" statement.

For the record.. I actually asked Amir to shut down and delete this thread so we could restart it. He declined...

Guess why?

Now, kindly get back on topic and have fun...

If that is not your goal here, then simply dismiss yourself from the thread.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Inaccurate and a complete misrepresentation.

It was accurate enough in the context of @adam2434 wanting to hand out a ban for your communication style.

I am not going to head back to see what the exact wording was, of a concept that I am unfamiliar with.
It is sort of like using They/Them, which I’ll happily do, even though I don’t really understand it.

Inaccurate and a complete misrepresentation.
And it was something like you don‘t care for what others think, and don’t pussyfoot around.
So it was not a complete misrepresentation.
It seemed somewhat conceptually similar, in a way that might be more easily comprehendible by people who are unfamiliar with the terms you used... Like, for instance, me.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Heat though that is not outside of normal for the components...

Clearly you decided to not read everything and therefore you ignored the fact that I was working in concert with the manufacturer of the op-amps I chose to use.

It was verified that my temps were in operational norms. You would have known that if you bothered to do your due diligence...

But I imagine you have a plethora of excuses for why you didn't know the facts.
Again… I read the thread. Are you able to quote the temperatures you are getting in the case, of any of the components, the op-amps or anything else? I don’t see that you have.

Just as importantly, there is a group of other people here doing similar things. I see case modifications being made to deal with these supposedly acceptable levels of heat, discussion of adding fans and so on. It’s a lot of work, and given that this is supposedly an objectivist led forum, I see only subjective results for output and sound quality.

The problem is not with what you are doing. It’s not necessarily with the way you are doing it. It’s with the way you are reporting it.

It might be an idea to write up your progress to date, even if it means repeating yourself.

And remember, there is a lot of scepticism about swapping op amps here because of the lack of objective evidence that it works. If you give that objective evidence, your standing here will rise exponentially.

If you are uncertain about how to measure without having to spend a fortune on it start a new thread in the DIY forum and ask…

I encourage you all to continue.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
It was accurate enough in the context of @adam2434 wanting to hand out a ban for your communication style.
I think you meant to type my username, but I could be mistaken? Funny how you attempted to defend him and he stuck that right up your keester. Nice fella though :rolleyes:

He just earned his walking papers. So I would not hold out long for a return love note from him. :cool:

Zeppelin

Just finished to read all 15 pages of this thread!! You are having fun guys...

To Conradj: I have read the different op amps combinations you tried and wanted to do a couple of questions to you, although you almost kind of answered to one of them in one of your post.

It would be enough to replace just two of the op amps (now I don't remember which you said were the most importants) for the opa 2605 and don't touch the other 3 STOCK op amps? Would that be enough to make the sound warmer, as you described?

Also would like to ask if there was a heat increase with these op amps, and... can you remind me which voltage and amperage were you using? A lot of things on this post to remember all... ;)

You subjective experience would be good for me if you can't provide a thermometer measurement. (Maybe there are things that doesn't need a measuring tool, but don't expect me to trust your "feelings" about SNR of the device :) )

Top Bottom