• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07/A08 (TPA 3255) vs Audiophonics MPA-S250NC XLR (nc252mp) for ELAC DBR-62?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-A07 Vs NC252MP? Not open to any kind of debate: Ncore runs circles around it in virtually every aspects measurable. The most obvious one being power and more importantly, power reserve.
I agree with Ncore running circles around A07. I somewhat doubt you will hear the difference. Until u get both units and do double blind test. A07 with my own external power supply 24V10A is very loud and powerful. I keep volume pot at 9-o-clock for normal, and it can go up to 3-o-clock. At 11-o-clock it's unbearably loud. Sure, ELACs maybe harder to drive, but there is enough power reserve.

DanielT

Major Contributor
You who currently use A07 and are satisfied with the amp and think that A07 has enough power, what kind of speakers do you have? What kind of sensitivity do they have?Ohm?

And what powersupply do you have with the A07?

The starting point is normal listening volume, normal-sized listening room (around that, please specify if you want, an approximate size of the room).

You who are generally satisfied with A07, do you sometimes think it is not enough with power? Under what circumstances then in that case?

Last edited:

timlub

I built a 3e Audio TPA3255 a little less than a year ago. I used a 36v 5 amp supply and added 120,000 mfd between the supply and amp board. I bypassed all the electrolytic on the input side on the rear of the board with polypropylene film & foil. I used it in balanced mode only. Overall this amp was fast, clean and accurate, threw a nice soundstage and very much showed the differences in op amps. I hope that this info helps someone out there. A guy begged me to sell it for several months. I eventually did.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with Ncore running circles around A07. I somewhat doubt you will hear the difference. Until u get both units and do double blind test.
You don't get the point. This not about double-blind test or anything related to some level-matched comparison. This is about power. You will have a hard time in a DBT when one of the two amps is under clipping.
A07 with my own external power supply 24V10A is very loud and powerful. I keep volume pot at 9-o-clock for normal, and it can go up to 3-o-clock.
I'm sorry, but that is irrelevant as you are not specific about any SPL number, speaker in question, distance and so on. Nor the "quality" out of it. I have a A07 as well, and it is heavily distorted past 13' paired with my parent's old Bostons.
At 11-o-clock it's unbearably loud.
Or unbearably clipped...
ELACs maybe harder to drive, but there is enough power reserve.
Nope. Absolutely not for all conditions.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Can at least arouse the thought. Used, might be an alternative, with its advantages (price) and disadvantages (reliability, maybe need for recap etc)
I'm taking one that was popular a while ago, see attached pictures.

Attachments

• shot_2021-11-01_17-24-35.png
    shot_2021-11-01_17-24-35.png
    264.4 KB · Views: 202
  • nedladdning (12).jpeg
    nedladdning (12).jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 55b2561794794b77778b4598.jpeg
    55b2561794794b77778b4598.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2865.jpeg
    IMG_2865.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 184
  • phoca_thumb_l_hk-670-1-harman-kardon.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_hk-670-1-harman-kardon.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 204

Raindog123

Major Contributor
You who currently use A07 and are satisfied with the amp and think that A07 has enough power, what kind of speakers do you have? What kind of sensitivity do they have?Ohm?

And what powersupply do you have with the A07?

20x20sqft room with high ceiling, ~12ft to and between speakers:

- Wharfedale Diamond 11.5 (8Ohm, 90dB) - 36V, 4A power supply (from Amazon),
- Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 (6Ohm, 86dB) - 32V, 5A (Aiyima stock).

Find both more than adequate power-wise for my listening habits. The amps and power supplies run cool to touch. Tried 48V, 5A brick (with both speakers), did not hear much difference - but the A07 run a few degrees warmer. Also, subjectively (ie, non-ABX), compared Aiyima's sound with my NAD C375BEE (2x150W continuous), did not hear distortions or any other unplesantries - the same full, clear sound.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
20x20sqft room with high ceiling, ~12ft to and between speakers:

- Wharfedale Diamond 11.5 (8Ohm, 90dB) - 36V, 4A power supply (from Amazon),
- Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 (6Ohm, 86dB) - 32V, 5A (Aiyima stock).

Find both more than adequate power-wise for my listening habits. The amps and power supplies run cool to touch. Tried 48V, 5A brick (with both speakers), did not hear much difference - but the A07 run a few degrees warmer. Also, subjectively (ie, non-ABX), compared Aiyima's sound with my NAD C375BEE (2x150W continuous), did not hear distortions or any other unplesantries - the same full, clear sound.
Normal listening room, no weirdness with those speakers. Sensitivity what speakers usually can have and you are happy. Good. Congratulations.:D

Then of course it is subjective experiences, but you should, even though we are at ASR, sometimes allow yourself to share. I think, anyway. I see nothing wrong with it just as long as you are aware of it only.

I would add some active subwoffers to what you have (you may have a subwoffer,). Bit it's just a matter of taste.:)

Fun to share experiences and impressions.:)

Last edited:

Chrise36

Major Contributor
On the subwoofer??
Yes when you are not using the Lpf (full range) there is noise. With the lpf on it is quiet. If you look at the review here you will see theb recommendantion is for sub use not serious systems.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I would add some active subwoffers to what you have (you may have a subwoffer,). Bit it's just a matter of taste

Both my speakers are rather capable full-range floorstanders. I never felt a need for additional sub-woofers. Just created a couple of EQ profiles in Roon. But as you say, it's a matter of taste. :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Both my speakers are rather capable full-range floorstanders. I never felt a need for additional sub-woofers. Just created a couple of EQ profiles in Roon. But as you say, it's a matter of taste. :)
Yes it is.:)

In addition with sub, it must be integrated with other speakers in a sensible way. It's a bit to work with to get it right. Is there room for subs, ugly sub cubes in the living room, neighbors, more money on full range and so on and so forth. You have conjure with those criteria back and forth to your liking and taste. Which, by the way, I think is a very fun aspect of having HiFi as a hobby.:p

bramsat

Speakers..Wharfedale EVO 4.4,wharfedale daimond 10.7 amp Cambridge cxa61, The aiyima 07 is the best amp...plenty of power!
Here a review of the Elac debut dbr 62...the best partnering kit for de elac..... cambridgecxa61,rega brio! only 60 watt!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here a review of the Elac debut dbr 62...the best partnering kit for de elac..... cambridgecxa61,rega brio! only 60 watt!
Haem. Are you trying to demonstrate anything with some What-Hifi review? Come on...

Also, I am pretty sure that you are confusing Gain with Power.

Anyway, glad if you are satisfied. Enjoy your setup.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Speakers..Wharfedale EVO 4.4,wharfedale daimond 10.7 amp Cambridge cxa61, The aiyima 07 is the best amp...plenty of power!

Those speakers have relatively low sensitivity:

Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
Sensitivity: 86db @ 2.83v / 1m

And think it works well. You is also satisfied. I say as I told Raindog123: .Good. Congratulations.:D

DanielT

Major Contributor
A07 with that effect (depends on powersupply), speakers. Example above with two different speakers Elac and Wharfedale
Sensitivity: 86db @ 2.83v / 1m, 6 Ohm so for normal, not too high listening volume, it seems to work well (subjective experiences). However, when
you turn the volume a bit, quite high volume, given the sensitivity of the speakers and the effect on the A07, so sorry. No matter how you twist and turn it, it is not possible to get around that then you will drive the A07 into clipping. Note, again, liking and taste, if you do not need to play so very loud so ...:)

Then we have the other aspect. What is fed into the system. If it is a signal that makes more demands, more power is needed to cope with the transient peaks.This even if you listen to music, and use only a few watts, all of a sudden you may temporarily need proper power to cope with a transient peak in a good way.

Here you understand intuitively what this means, these temporary requirements for the amplifier. So the need for effect also depends on what kind of music you play:

Or you play compressed music. Nice for the amplifier, sad for the ears.

So the answer to the question of how much power is needed for my X speakers will always be the same: It depends on...

Last edited:

Nwickliff

The fan has never come on i use it for sub duties otherwise it is very noisy for speakers.
had the same issue and used a filter to get rid of the noise. After I moved, I was getting really bad crossover hand off from mains to sub and forgot I had that filter turned on from the old house. Turned the filter off...guess what...no noise. It's the 1502 which I think measure a little better than 1002 but the point is I don't think it's always the amp. Could be a grounding issue.

Top Bottom