• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07/A08 + DAC vs. Loxjie A30

monkeysinspehs

Hi everyone,

I did my best to read through the many threads that mention these components in some way. But I’m still failing to get a clear understanding of what folks would recommend and why.

I have the following set-up for casual listening in a small room: Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 + SMSL SA300. I've been generally happy with streaming from my phone or computer—though I can't claim much sophistication in this domain—but ran into a snag when I decided I may want to add a CD player to my current set-up and noticed the SA300 has no digital inputs except USB (and CD players with good built in DACs are expensive and huge).

Assuming I want to add a CD player (or have other similar flexibility in the future for unforeseen reasons cause I'm a newb rn), while not losing bluetooth, are there any recommendations on what I should swap the SA300 out for? In particular, Loxjie A30 on its own vs. an Aiyima amp (A07 or A08) with a DAC (Aiyima T8 or Schiit Modi). Can anyone tell me why one is likely to be “better” than the other? Sifting the measurements that are available for some of these units, and not others, hasn’t totally clarified it for me. But I’ve seen at least one post here claiming the Aiyima stack would be superior to the A30.

chang

I've heard stacks are better at this price point as well... but would like to hear from those more knowledgeable.

chang

I've got the Elac B6.2, Aiyima A07, and Topping E50 DAC and couldn't be happier.

It's a really wonderful, inexpensive setup.

(Also have/love the DBR6 and BS41's, in case you're interested in the family. All pushed with Aiyima A07's.)
Really glad to hear this, because I was also thinking about pairing the E50 with the A07. Was also contemplating the E30, but heard the difference is night and day.

So the A07 has no issues pushing the B6.2's? Think I'll be grabbing a pair of QA 3020's soon.

Really glad to hear this, because I was also thinking about pairing the E50 with the A07. Was also contemplating the E30, but heard the difference is night and day.

So the A07 has no issues pushing the B6.2's? Think I'll be grabbing a pair of QA 3020's soon.
I don't have a problem pushing them in a small room. (Maybe 14'x18'?) I never went over 60% on any of these speakers with the Aiyimas in any room in my house. Any more is definitely breaching comfort level.

I calibrated the B6.2's to 75dB from about 12' away and the knob was around 25% for that, fwiw.

chang

I don't have a problem pushing them in a small room. (Maybe 14'x18'?) I never went over 60% on any of these speakers with the Aiyimas in any room in my house. Any more is definitely breaching comfort level.

I calibrated the B6.2's to 75dB from about 12' away and the knob was around 25% for that, fwiw.
What are the chances, I'll be at that distance as well, in a room of similar size (13x22). It's been difficult finding someone with a similar setup. Good to know you're having success. Any plans on adding a sub?

Definitely sounds like power won't be an issue

What are the chances, I'll be at that distance as well, in a room of similar size (13x22). It's been difficult finding someone with a similar setup. Good to know you're having success. Any plans on adding a sub?

Definitely sounds like power won't be an issue
I've got an SVS SB12-NSD but haven't yet hooked it up to the system. Currently it's doing duty as the HT sub, but will be migrated. I'll update this thread when I move it.

chang

I have Amiga speakers which are DIY, they are pretty inefficient at 83/84db, a07 has no trouble pushing them to uncomfortable levels. Love this little amp.
Nice. I'm still torn, thinking about going with a balanced amp as well

You hooking it up to the A07 Aux?
Dunno. Since it was relegated to HT use, I've only ever run it through the AV sub out. I've got a few options:

- line into sub, line out to amp
- line into sub, high pass out to amp
- aux out into sub
- miniDSP 2x4HD (unopened, heard horror stories, might send back unopened)

I'll have to carve out a few days to see which works best. It may be splitting hairs and overcomplicate doing a dedicated crossover step when I understand the one in the sub itself isn't bad anyway.

I have Amiga speakers which are DIY, they are pretty inefficient at 83/84db, a07 has no trouble pushing them to uncomfortable levels. Love this little amp.
Agreed. I want to get a handful of these and just live off them for life, frankly. Great bang for the buck!

Nice. I'm still torn, thinking about going with a balanced amp as well
I've been lucky to not have any apparent mains leakage in any setup/combo I've done anywhere in my house. My last house it was a major problem, so it's been nice to be able to drop balanced connectors from my requirements.

tc531

For those using the E50 + aiyima a07, what made you settle on this combo? Looking for my first setup and there's so many options from topping. Would also need headphone output and ease of switching between headphones and speakers.... is e50/l50 + aiyima the way to go or how much night and day is e30/l30? Why aiyima a7 vs pa3s?

For those using the E50 + aiyima a07, what made you settle on this combo? Looking for my first setup and there's so many options from topping. Would also need headphone output and ease of switching between headphones and speakers.... is e50/l50 + aiyima the way to go or how much night and day is e30/l30? Why aiyima a7 vs pa3s?
For me, I got burned on a scam D30 and the E50 was the only quality available option from a trusted distributor, at the time I bought it. So it was a happy but unintended inclusion.

I went with the Aiyima A07 because it was rated well and has (apparently, if real) high quality Japanese caps and enough juice to push my speakers to max without exceeding 60% knob.

I went with a Sabaj A10h HA for the digital-controlled analog attenuation that can switch between speaker and headphones.

All components were selected for performance, price, and availability. (With the exception of the E50 which was a happy but unnecessary upgrade.) Also thermal performance at my typical listening levels was important for longevity.

I've never listened to an E30 or pa3s, but can say the setup I've got is the upper limit of price:quality ratio that I could find. Listening to it, I'm exceedingly happy and notice night and day difference with random (usually popular, usually more expensive) run of the mill consumer equipment. For my tastes and desire to have a transparent system, this unquestionably meets that goal at an exceptional price point. Might get a couple more of each so that this can be a lifetime configuration.

(Important to note that super-tuned, specialized listening environments are not a desire I have, so you very well may find better performance elsewhere. For me, music is constant, a part of the environment, and when listening critically, should blend in with real life. So I don't seek perfection. Just "extremely good" at an "extremely good" price point. This chain is definitely that. Your mileage may vary.)

tc531

For me, I got burned on a scam D30 and the E50 was the only quality available option from a trusted distributor, at the time I bought it. So it was a happy but unintended inclusion.

I went with the Aiyima A07 because it was rated well and has (apparently, if real) high quality Japanese caps and enough juice to push my speakers to max without exceeding 60% knob.

I went with a Sabaj A10h HA for the digital-controlled analog attenuation that can switch between speaker and headphones.

All components were selected for performance, price, and availability. (With the exception of the E50 which was a happy but unnecessary upgrade.) Also thermal performance at my typical listening levels was important for longevity.

I've never listened to an E30 or pa3s, but can say the setup I've got is the upper limit of price:quality ratio that I could find. Listening to it, I'm exceedingly happy and notice night and day difference with random (usually popular, usually more expensive) run of the mill consumer equipment. For my tastes and desire to have a transparent system, this unquestionably meets that goal at an exceptional price point. Might get a couple more of each so that this can be a lifetime configuration.

(Important to note that super-tuned, specialized listening environments are not a desire I have, so you very well may find better performance elsewhere. For me, music is constant, a part of the environment, and when listening critically, should blend in with real life. So I don't seek perfection. Just "extremely good" at an "extremely good" price point. This chain is definitely that. Your mileage may vary.)
Cheers. Thanks for the insight! And agreed regarding your last comment

tc531

Cheers. Thanks for the insight! And agreed regarding your last comment
Have you tried

So you have e50 > sabaj a10h via rca connection and then a7 connect to sabaj a10h via rca as well? Are you able to leave headphones plugged in and switch between headphones and rca out or does headphones plugged in mute rca and/or both play simultaneously? Are you able to switch via the knob or is it via remote only?

Have you tried

So you have e50 > sabaj a10h via rca connection and then a7 connect to sabaj a10h via rca as well? Are you able to leave headphones plugged in and switch between headphones and rca out or does headphones plugged in mute rca and/or both play simultaneously? Are you able to switch via the knob or is it via remote only?
Yes, that's how it's connected.

Headphones connected don't switch the output. If that's an option, I'd like to use it, but you have to change the output manually. It can be done from the unit or the remote, though it's a little cumbersome via the unit. (Go into menu, select output mode, change.) I rarely use phones so it's not a big deal for me. Independent volume control for phone and amp output and keeps volumes when unplugged at least 24 hours.

FYI, changing the volume on the Sabaj is really satisfying with a little "click" as it adjusts. (Via remote or knob.) Display is basically impossible to read more than a few feet away (MAKE IT ORANGE!!) so that provides good feedback when far away at lower listening levels.

JPrufrk

I've got a similar setup to yours (SA300 + Debut 5.2 + subwoofer) and have been quite happy with it for a couple of years. But I use a Sanskrit MK-II DAC in front of the SA300. The SA300 has much better performance with its analog input than through USB, and the Sanskrit was inexpensive and has performed perfectly, as has the SA300. The Sanskrit has optical, coax and USB (as do any number of other SMSL or Topping DACs). Why swap out the SA300 if what you're looking for is a digital input? Also, if you haven't seen this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurement-of-smsl-sa300-by-archimago.25730/

Timstunes

Forum Donor
I have an A07 and pair it with a SMSL Sanskrit 10thMkii which I think are great but no BT. You could try the A08 which has BT or maybe the SMSL AD18, which I also like very much. I the Loxjie has gotten very good reviews. I think there are really some great choices out there depending upon your budget and the features you need.

glovegp2000

Dunno. Since it was relegated to HT use, I've only ever run it through the AV sub out. I've got a few options:

- line into sub, line out to amp
- line into sub, high pass out to amp
- aux out into sub
- miniDSP 2x4HD (unopened, heard horror stories, might send back unopened)

I'll have to carve out a few days to see which works best. It may be splitting hairs and overcomplicate doing a dedicated crossover step when I understand the one in the sub itself isn't bad anyway.

Agreed. I want to get a handful of these and just live off them for life, frankly. Great bang for the buck!

I've been lucky to not have any apparent mains leakage in any setup/combo I've done anywhere in my house. My last house it was a major problem, so it's been nice to be able to drop balanced connectors from my requirements.
Did you figure out which setup worked the best with the sub? @my_ears_are_up_here

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The SMSL AO100 is another nice option for "good enough" sound with line/BT inputs (has internal BT receiver and internal power supply) and even a SW output. All in a very nice, small form factor. I still use my Aiyima 07, it's more powerful than the AO100, but the SMSL has been nice in a setup where I really wanted to minimize extra cables and "boxes".

Top Bottom