• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A05 Review (Budget Amplifier)

pma

Major Contributor
I dislike these little speaker terminals but they are very common in this price class. They are too close to each other to connect beefy locking banana connectors I use for testing.

This is one of the reasons why I call this and similar amps a toy. One cannot even connect any reliable banana speaker connectors to their output. Also the small weight and size is more a trouble than advantage. The unit travels on the surface rather than sitting firmly.
I understand some love it for the budget price. But I hope this forum is more than to adore super low prices of the consume electronics. It is about parameters and design and built quality so the issues are to be named clearly.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
'
I agree, he is not "Rude" but simply makes flash judgements based solely on a measurement, with no actual listening involved.

Dont think so. @restorer-john just compares the measuerment to some well build older amps. Its true, every japanese middle class amp out of the 80'ths, would kick this littel things ass. But he forgets that there we talk about 500$ upwards. 40 years ago this was a good amount of money. He should compare it to a 40$ amp at this time.

And i donk think he was rude. Just a littel of a robust way. ;)

Last edited:

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some perspective:

Yes in the sense of the word I accept that these little amplifiers are toys. I have $worth of toys in my instrument cage, they are all toys to me.

There is no need to be condescending, judgmental, authoritarian or unkind.

I bought the Aiyima 07 to play with. Since then, I have bought at least 4 different power supplies to zoom in on the noise of the toy Aiyima 07 amplifier. I do not recall listening to the little guy without hearing protection.

It is all just for fun and learning something.

Thanks DT

OBTW, I am willing to bet that amplifiers very similar to this Aiyima 05 are hidden inside many powered, under the arm size, desk top speakers and will never be critically measured but taken for granted.

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

This is one of the reasons why I call this and similar amps a toy. One cannot even connect any reliable banana speaker connectors to their output. Also the small weight and size is more a trouble than advantage. The unit travels on the surface rather than sitting firmly.
I understand some love it for the budget price. But I hope this forum is more than to adore super low prices of the consume electronics. It is about parameters and design and built quality so the issues are to be named clearly.

For one, I think most know what we're looking for in this forum. Personally, I understand your input and what you think should be the standard to get a recommendation here in ASR. However, given all the other factors into consideration (like price, size, power, heat etc..) I think it's mostly fair that this one can be an acceptable product overall, we've seen worse in many more expensive and "HiFi-labelled" products.

I think if the conclusion is specific enough, it can still be lax but effective enough for viewers to use as a source of reference point. Amir did that with some other products that didn't pass our objective criterias as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Kenwood "supreme" series were fabulous products. The model 600 integrated amplifier is a classic. The volume knob alone would weigh more than this Aiyima thing!

Model 600 inside:
View attachment 152237

600 front. Yes, the knobs are solid aluminium, secured with grub screws to solid shafts.
View attachment 152238

I have a 700c in my storeroom someplace given to me by the owner, when I was halfway through its restoration. I never bothered to finish it. I should get it out sometime.
Beautiful.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because their buyers are not using big, beefy locking interconnects that cost as much as the amp. Small form factor with folks using cheap but adequate bananas
Out of curiosity, what sort of "beefy" banana plugs are so large they won't fit?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I use these locking ones:

71cgTzlMfDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You have to have enough room for the cable to come out the side and be able to turn the dial to lock them. With 12 gauge wires I use, this is extremely hard and often painful to do.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use these locking ones:

71cgTzlMfDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You have to have enough room for the cable to come out the side and be able to turn the dial to lock them. With 12 gauge wires I use, this is extremely hard and often painful to do.
Wow-those are something else-I've not seen those in the wild but now must have several pair.

laudio

99% of those who buy this amp probably never heard of a banana plug. Bare wire will work just as good.

The best banana plugs are those little cheap nakamichi branded ones with 2 screws and you can make your own cables with low cost wire btw. Use them all the time and without the covers will fit anything and stay put. Lockable ones are good I guess if you tug on your speaker wires.

pma

Major Contributor
I use these locking banana connectors and it is impossible to use them with small spaced binding posts of A07. Normal spacing has always been at least 29 mm before similar toys as this amp have appeared. Other than locking bananas have unpredictable contact resistance that varies with time and is measurable as distortion.

29E57DC3-1748-4E34-8CC3-BFFD422CE02A.jpeg

Ralferator

I wonder if you can hear the difference in sound quality between this amp and a "high end" amp. Did you ever try in a real blind test? If you can't hear the difference, why should people pay 100 times more? Many "audiophiles" pay thousands for tube amps that don't measure as good and they love them. I think a judgement that doesn't include a fair blind test is not worth very much.

SmackDaddies

These tone controls alone would steer me away from buying it. I would be freaking out that I accidentally turn them and only after some time realize that the music doesn't sound as pleasant as it used to. Hardware EQ is so last century.
I agree. The use case for this seems to be desktop use (with a computer) or BT from a phone.

Either input offers far better equalizers than mis set tone controls

Toku

Major Contributor
I bought this A05 and used it while comparing it with several types of amplifiers such as AIYIMA A07/A04, but the actual sound quality of the A05 is not inferior to them at all. For general use, it is easier to use than A07/A04 due to tone control and BT. Especially when listening at low volume at night, the tone control helps. It's true that purchasing this amp has reduced the chances of using the A07/A04. It is good to discuss A05 in detail, but you can understand the significance of A05 by actually using it.
The A05 does not generate pop noise when the power is turned on and off, but when the AC adapter is unplugged from the outlet during operation, a large pop noise is generated. This point is disappointing because the sound is good. Therefore, it is not suitable for the purpose of turning the entire system on and off at once with the master switch. In my A05, the white noise when there is no sound is quieter than in the A07/A04.
I think this kind of product, including A07/A04, is not a product that strictly discusses HiFi, but a budget product that aims to easily enjoy high-quality audio.

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Therefore, it is not suitable for the purpose of turning the entire system on and off at once with the master switch. In my A05, the white noise when there is no sound is quieter than in the A07/A04.

Isn't that last observation literally impossible given the measurements and the same volume level? I ask because the A07 has far better SINAD. BTW and FWIW, my A07s don't "pop" on external power-off/power-on sequence -- my entire system, including two A07s, is connected to a single power strip, and I use the switch on that strip to turn the whole shebang on and off with no popping whatsoever.

DualTriode

I wonder if you can hear the difference in sound quality between this amp and a "high end" amp. Did you ever try in a real blind test? If you can't hear the difference, why should people pay 100 times more? Many "audiophiles" pay thousands for tube amps that don't measure as good and they love them. I think a judgement that doesn't include a fair blind test is not worth very much.

Hello All,

The blind tests have been done. The SINAD testing is complete. The threshold of human hearing is documented.

I have seen @amirm post plots of SINAD measurements with the threshold of human hearing overlaid on the same plot. I would point out this plot if I could recall where here on ASR it is posted. (If someone recalls please point it to the rest of us.)

Thanks DT

Note:

The above is a KISS answer. If you dig deeper it is not so simple.

rammster

The power supply seems to be providing enough power at 32 volts 5 amps. A change to a linear supply would maybe change the peak power output but the end result might be better or worse than the SMPS is. A "heavily filtered" SMPS is a bit of mis-labeled nomenclature because the SMPS design uses smaller capacitors and smaller inductors due to the comparatively higher frequency used in the power transfer of the SMPS design. A linear type power supply design uses heavier components as the design is improved. The rule for SMPS is the inductors and capacitors size is inversely proportional (They get smaller and more lightweight) to the frequency of the SMPS and with linear supplies the size of the inductor and capacitor size is proportional (They get heavier and larger.) to the output power and smoothing. For this TPA3221 design the rated power supply is 7 to 30 volts and so the size of the SMPS used at 32 volts is already at maximum when loaded down and no improvement can be realized without possibly damaging the amp from too much voltage and power.
View attachment 152106
Thank you for your opinion.
I meant not the lack of power, definitely smps has a lot, but the typical smps issue - noise.

Top Bottom