• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A01 Pro

Zek

Major Contributor
Who cares about this with this ancient chip?

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 17.52.24.png

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
some people really like the TPA3116 sound though

this is what i expected out of a $50 amp

if you truly need a cheap nearfield amp then this is

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There was a time I was dying for a 'full build' 3116 amp, SMSL and others were kinda slow to jump on...wound up building a number of my own using the various boards that were out there...nice at the time. I think the new 3251 and 3255 chips are a big improvement...

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i certainly dont disagree... i have two of the Merus models and ZERO of the TPA units and have no interest in the older tech.

But you'll find the TPA models have a fairly large following here alone.

The reality is you cannot buy an Infineon unit for $50....

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If the implementation of the chips is ok done. And you want BT and dont need a lot of power this could work well.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
wow that's interesting

one reason by TPA is popular here is that there's a few people who really love that shit and they love rolling op amps and psus

otherwise if that doesnt float your boat then get a sabaj a10/20 or smsl a300 at the lower end

trungdtmc

im having some amplifer boards using ma12070p but the SQ not good as i was expected

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
I actually have this amp - its pretty good for the price IMO

I think Aiyima did a good job with this TPA3116 implementation. And I like the extra tone control (makes it sort of a 3-band EQ) - I did some in-room measurements with one of my speakers using REW to see how well the 3 Bands work and they are provide nice but basic control. I will post some pictures of these if people are interested.

The bluetooth implementation seemed pretty decent also.

There is no audible 'hiss' unlike some TPA3116 implementations so I would guess it has a reasonable SINAD for an amplifier at this price point.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Ok this is what I discovered messing about with the tone controls and REW and a pair of Q3020i's.

Note: Normally these speakers are connected to a Denon and I use Audssey to control the room modes a little (and 'solve' the BBC dip!!

But hopefully this chart can show what difference the various controls controls do to the overall sound. Specifically they have much more significant effect on the Bass (+/- 13DB ) than the treble (+/- 6DB) which I thought was interesting.
1674831428370.png

jooc

jooc

... and the new Merus Infineon chip are bigger improvement...;)
Curious why you think the Infineon Merus 12070 chip is better than the TPA3255, or the TPA3116?

Zeppelin

Also want to know it. And meanwhile I am going to make a total newbie question. Hope to not offend anyone...

Whilst the physical tone volumeters produces some noise (deppending on many factors like the quality of the implementations and so on...), does the digital equalization and tone adjusting on the built-in amp/DAC produces noise?

I imagine it doesn't, but want to be sure.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Also want to know it. And meanwhile I am going to make a total newbie question. Hope to not offend anyone...

Whilst the physical tone volumeters produces some noise (deppending on many factors like the quality of the implementations and so on...), does the digital equalization and tone adjusting on the built-in amp/DAC produces noise?

I imagine it doesn't, but want to be sure.
In my experience noise (that you actually hear) is really around the amplification gain that is applied, though I imagine a cheap DAC will introduce noise (after the digital EQ) which will then be amplified and be horrible.

So Amp vendors what to have good specs as far as output watts but unless the chip has lots power (like the TPA3255) they will tempted to up the gain to make their Amp sound much louder. This is definitely the case with some of the older TPA3116 Amp I had tried, but this Aiyima A01Pro was actually pretty good, no near field audible noise (i.e. put on a very quiet track and put your ear close to the speaker).

I haven't heard the SMSL DA-6 but the reviews aren't great on amazon (probably why it's $49) but looking at the raw data - its not particular powerful e..g. https://www.mouser.ie/new/infineon/infineon-ma12070p-audio-amplifier/
I especially don't like the "2×80W peak output power (26V PVDD, RL = 4Ω, 10% THD+N level)" - Nobody wants to hear 10% THD+N as that would be horrible. So I would avoid that SMSL.

There is another digital amplifier that quiet like - another Aiyima the D03 https://www.amazon.com/AIYIMA-D03-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Amplificador/dp/B098QSPJJG/ref=sr_1_3 - this has some digital EQ (though not as fancy as the SMSL) even some digital crossover filter related to the subwoofer output. - though I believe some people had some reliability problems. I would hope that Aiyima have ironed out the issues in the manufacturing process.

Top Bottom