• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Airpulse A100 Review (Powered Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 136 40.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 184 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Let's move on from DIN connector talk....

OK -- but let's commit to a site-wide celebration when the centennial of the trusty RCA plug and jack arrives! Of course the 1/4-inch TS plug and jack -- which still dominates the electric guitar industry -- is even more ancient, having been borrowed from telephony back when making connections was still dependent on manual switchboards with human operators. :cool:

pseudoid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OK -- but let's commit to a site-wide celebration when the centennial of the trusty RCA plug and jack arrives! ...
I would like to get an invite but only if reps/affiliates from either MonsterCable or MonoPrice are NOT invited to the celebration.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave this speaker a "Not Terrible (postman panther)" rating. The reasons being it's too expensive given it's flaws - lack of bass, choppy frequency response from 800-2400Hz, and excessive brightness. I think it should be more like $200 max, although you might not expect the aesthetics, connectivity and features at that lower price point....still for for me "not terrible (postman panther) rating".
I think it's a little pricey too, but we can't judge price based on frequency response, and certainly there's a lot of value in the electronics implementation.

Robbo99999

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's a little pricey too, but we can't judge price based on frequency response, and certainly there's a lot of value in the electronics implementation.
Actually, in terms of price, I thought the cost was $900 for one speaker, but some people in this thread have said that's the price for a pair, do we know for sure which one? When I said in my previous post that these shouldn't be more than $200 then I meant for 1 speaker - so for me that would mean $400 for a pair. Yes, the electronics implementation re all the inputs and tone controls & remote are all good features.

EDIT: yes, the price is for a pair of speakers https://www.amazon.com/Airpulse-Certified-Speaker-Amplifier-Bluetooth/dp/B07JZGQP6S/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Airpulse+A100&qid=1634797472&qsid=147-8149582-7714955&sr=8-1&sres=B07JZGQP6S,B07JZD9MVH,B07FKH3VPV,B0793HNSQG,B01MFD7N5T,B07RH9457S,B077V8M4TG,B07ZVP9XBG,B07FKCP7PZ,B07B4Q5587,B07VQZ9GKV,B08GC5GXQ3,B0849M5JT5,B077R8MP6H,B07TK172FT,B08N4CW66B&srpt=SPEAKERS
So I would value these at $400 for the pair.

Last edited:

CRISOFIELDS

Which was better? I'm assuming USB since that bypasses the ADC.
Yes it was one the most transparent sounds coming from a monitor id ever heard! But I sold them because they were to fatiguing to listen to. This was before I knew about eq so maybe was that ,but weren't as fatiguing via xlr...

Ive owned a few Genelec 2-ways , focal trio and focal twin shape as reference and these are much better in many respects but in sheer transparency and clarity of sound the airpulse via usb was a few notches better. That sound has always stuck in my head.

Rn I have some yamaha nx500 speakers that have a built in usb dac and built in streamer. I use these over my focal twin shapes rn for practical reasons and they sound good enough to my ear I can listen all day.

fragzone

Yes it was one the most transparent sounds coming from a monitor id ever heard! But I sold them because they were to fatiguing to listen to. This was before I knew about eq so maybe was that ,but weren't as fatiguing via xlr...

Ive owned a few Genelec 2-ways , focal trio and focal twin shape as reference and these are much better in many respects but in sheer transparency and clarity of sound the airpulse via usb was a few notches better. That sound has always stuck in my head.

Rn I have some yamaha nx500 speakers that have a built in usb dac and built in streamer. I use these over my focal twin shapes rn for practical reasons and they sound good enough to my ear I can listen all day.
Never met another owner of the nx-n500.

They were my first pair of speakers I ever owned outside of 30 dollar logitech hot garbage.

They will always hold a special place in my heart. A great product really, way ahead of its time and with technology that blows most competitors out of the water to this day. It's far from the peak of hifi but they have very impressive imaging capabilities. Looking forward to listening to them again when I finally get to go home (bloody covid)

Top Bottom