• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AirPlay issue - skipping first seconds of songs

Johannes AU

Apple is responsible for the bug.

Yamaha or other streamer not in a position of atmos is not the one to blame, they work flawlessly before, even today.

I did many test, including iPod with iOS 9, it works fine .....

And at Apple product running iOS14.7, all without Dobly Atoms and or Spatial audio activated.

All tests running at the same WiFi/LAN condition.

Johannes AU

Last month, I did talked with Apple support in Hongkong, I asked about Apple Lossless, mainly about lightning output.
They explained to me in details, the lightning port can deliver lossless, even higher than 24/192, to get the signal from it and play it well is the job of a DAC, dongle perfermance different from one another is due to individual design.

Regarding Airplay, do not expect too much, Apple's eco system is about convience, if one wants serious music replay, connect ta DAC physically, streaming relay by WiFi might not work at high quality.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

I've opened a thread here. If you want to share your opinion you're invited. Hope that is fine to post links to external forums. It's not something commercial, just want to share this with you and to find a way to be fixed.

Johannes AU

So, kindly explain to me, Why iOS 14.7 behave different from MacOS 11.5 if both got the Apple Music stream from same WiFi router and the Yamaha WXA-50 is LAN connected to this router, which internet is fiber optic 100M speed?

OP
B

BitPerfect_

Last month, I did talked with Apple support in Hongkong, I asked about Apple Lossless, mainly about lightning output.
They explained to me in details, the lightning port can deliver lossless, even higher than 24/192, to get the signal from it and play it well is the job of a DAC, dongle perfermance different from one another is due to individual design.

Regarding Airplay, do not expect too much, Apple's eco system is about convience, if one wants serious music replay, connect ta DAC physically, streaming relay by WiFi might not work at high quality.

Good to confirm that Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor will deliver 24-bit/192kHz (at least if they say); I read in different posts that will be Hi-res and other opinions that is not Hi-res even using that adaptor.

Finished reading it, let APPLE dig into it, I think they can fix it, sooner or later.
My concern is related to the fact that sometimes, if there are not enough complains, they could say, "it's fine, only one user experienced this, not big deal" and the thread will be archived and ... all the best! Hope that is not the case.

Johannes AU

Good to confirm that Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor will deliver 24-bit/192kHz (at least if they say); I read in different posts that will be Hi-res and other opinions that is not Hi-res even using that adaptor.

Don't worry, it is delivering the same sample rate as the file, of course you have to select it from the iOS MacOS audio Midi setting.

Johannes AU

My concern is related to the fact that sometimes, if there are not enough complains, they could say, "it's fine, only one user experienced this, not big deal" and the thread will be archived and ... all the best! Hope that is not the case.

There are lots of Apple Music users, some write at Apple support like you, some call Apple support and shout at them, especailly after Lossless rolled out, Apple users demand/expect more. Apple will take care about it, Apple Music is very important for them.

Johannes AU

If there is nothing to do with iOS14.7, then one possible cause might be they are updating the Apple Music library with lossless, so hiccup might appear from time to time ......

Johannes AU

This also works for self powered DAC.
MD821

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yamaha or other streamer not in a position of atmos is not the one to blame, they work flawlessly before, even today.

A patch (fix) for one issue, can also break another function.
It is common in software, and likely Apple probably ran tests and able to confirm it did not affect their own products (and/or rolled out silent update to Apple products only), but did not bother to run the same tests for third-party AirPlay devices. . .

I am just saying it is a possibility, not definite fact.

And at Apple product running iOS14.7, all without Dobly Atoms and or Spatial audio activated.

I suspect AirPlay patch issue will produce issue with third-party AirPlay devices regardless if you use Atmos/Spatial activated or deactivated.

Last edited:

Johannes AU

A patch (fix) for one issue, can also break another function.
It is common in software, and likely Apple probably ran tests and confirmed it did not affect their own products, but did not bother to run the same tests for third-party AirPlay devices. . .

I am just saying it is a possibility, not definite fact.

I suspect AirPlay patch issue will produce issue with third-party AirPlay devices regardless if you use Atmos/Spatial activated or deactivated.

Then, wait for the facts.

mononoaware

Then, wait for the facts.

Just originally shared that with 5+ years of using Apple products only, I never experienced such issue with AirPlay.
Which leads me to conclusion it is isolated definitely to the third-party AirPlay devices, and therefore software/firmware/protocol bug related caused by recent rushed “urgent” fix for Apple Music Atmos issue.

Johannes AU

Just originally shared that with 5+ years of using Apple products only, I never experienced such issue with AirPlay.
Which leads me to conclusion it is isolated definitely to the third-party AirPlay devices, and therefore software/firmware/protocol bug related caused by recent rushed “urgent” fix for Apple Music Atmos issue.

Don't worry, I didn't mean that you are wrong, you just came in and help and offer some technical knowledge to us.

mononoaware

I've opened a thread here. If you want to share your opinion you're invited. Hope that is fine to post links to external forums. It's not something commercial, just want to share this with you and to find a way to be fixed.

This is good step.
I don’t think there is any issue posting link to a “support” forum.

Hopefully resolution comes soon for you and Johannes AU.

OP
B

BitPerfect_

This also works for self powered DAC.
A short off-topic note about the Lightning to USB camera adaptor (without power supply); As far as I understand, using a mobile phone as source for example it's not the best idea because there is no power supply and the mobile battery will be drained fast. That's why at least in this device setup (iPhone/DAC), a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor with power supply will be required.

Johannes AU

This is good step.
I don’t think there is any issue posting link to a “support” forum.

Hopefully resolution comes soon for you and Johannes AU.

Yeah, report to Apple is the right move.
For me, I can wait, as long as I still can play music via my MAC, so nothing hurts.

Johannes AU

A short off-topic note about the Lightning to USB camera adaptor (without power supply); As far as I understand, using a mobile phone as source for example it's not the best idea because there is no power supply and the mobile battery will be drained fast. That's why at least in this device setup (iPhone/DAC), a Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adaptor with power supply will be required.

Yes, it drains the battery from iPhone or iPod, it is only good for Dongles, or somethng like the iFi HipDac, for high power output DAC headphone amp, you need the USB3 one with power, otherwise it won't work at all.

P.S. its all about the bus power it needs, USB3 adaptor advantage is it also charges the iPhone/iPod/iPad.

Last edited:

mononoaware

Lightning to USB camera adaptor (without power supply); As far as I understand, using a mobile phone as source for example it's not the best idea because there is no power supply and the mobile battery will be drained fast.

I experienced this a few years ago, I thought to try standard Lightning to USB camera adapter together with Sabaj DA2 Portable DAC/Amp.
Before I started using the combination, iPhone SE (1st gen) battery health was still 99% after few years of light use.
Within a month a using the Portable DAC with standard adapter, battery health dropped much quicker to ~93%, then eventually ~91% before the Sabaj DA2 died (Portable DAC just stopped working entirely, even when I plugged it into a computer).

Now I am still using the same phone, but since ~6 months ago the iPhone SE abruptly turns off (just black screen no spinning wheel nothing. . .) whenever battery percentage reaches 21%.
(Another regular heavy iPhone user’s battery health is ~87% but they do not experience this “sudden power off” at 21% battery level that I do. . .)

I think the use of Portable DAC and standard Lightning to USB camera adapter caused serious reduction in the iPhone battery longevity.

It was a mistake and I will never attempt it again, and I would also advise anyone who spent $1000+ on a new iPhone to avoid doing the same as me with a USB powered Portable DAC.

Last edited:

mononoaware

I experienced this a few years ago, I thought to try standard Lightning to USB camera adapter together with Sabaj DA2 Portable DAC/Amp.
Before I started using the combination, iPhone SE (1st gen) battery health was still 99% after few years of light use.
Within a month a using the Portable DAC with standard adapter, battery health dropped much quicker to ~93%, then eventually ~91% before the Sabaj DA2 died (Portable DAC just stopped working entirely, even when I plugged it into a computer).

Now I am still using the same phone, but since ~6 months ago the iPhone SE abruptly turns off (just black screen no spinning wheel nothing. . .) whenever battery percentage reaches 21%.
(Another regular heavy iPhone user’s battery health is ~87% but they do not experience this “sudden power off” at 21% battery level that I do. . .)

I think the use of Portable DAC and standard Lightning to USB camera adapter caused serious reduction in the iPhone battery longevity.

It was a mistake and I will never attempt it again, and I would also advise anyone who spent $1000+ on a new iPhone to avoid doing the same as me with a USB powered Portable DAC.

I thought I should clarify something since it appears as if I am bashing Sabaj in the comment above.

I also have used a Sabaj DA3 (compact balanced USB powered desktop DAC/Amp) from before using the portable DA2.
The Sabaj DA3 has been used with a PC for 2+ years with absolutely zero issues.

It is well designed, reliable and functions exactly as expected, I can easily recommend it to others specifically if planning to use with a PC (DA3 draws quite a lot of power so there is a lot of feedback recommending only to use it in a desktop application).
It is mainly plugged into powered speakers, but occasionally switch to using it with headphones.

Top Bottom