• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AirPlay 2 stutters at beginning of songs

gallionetech

Hey all,

I recently switched to Apple Music and setup a Raspberry Pi 4 with Shairport-sync for Airplay 2. It works great except for whenever i switch songs / start playing a new song there is a stutter that occurs within the first 10 seconds of the song. I can't seem to figure out whats going on here.

The Raspberry Pi is connected to my Topping D90SE via USB. My Raspberry Pi is connected to internet via Ethernet. I had the same issue with the Wiim streamer and Airplay so im guessing it's either my internet or my DAC. My internet is a mesh system using Ubiquiti Access Points.

Anyone experience this / have any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks!

MacCali

Major Contributor
Hey all,

I recently switched to Apple Music and setup a Raspberry Pi 4 with Shairport-sync for Airplay 2. It works great except for whenever i switch songs / start playing a new song there is a stutter that occurs within the first 10 seconds of the song. I can't seem to figure out whats going on here.

The Raspberry Pi is connected to my Topping D90SE via USB. My Raspberry Pi is connected to internet via Ethernet. I had the same issue with the Wiim streamer and Airplay so im guessing it's either my internet or my DAC. My internet is a mesh system using Ubiquiti Access Points.

Anyone experience this / have any ideas whats causing this?

Thanks!
On Wi-Fi or hardwired? Sorry over looked that. Nvm

What’s the Wi-Fi strength on your phone looking like?

Cause I’ve had this issue with using Wi-Fi and not Ethernet. And also my router being far from my phone or too many walls. I purchased a Wi-Fi extender mesh network and it definitely helped but this may not be the issue

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have the same issues, Wi-Fi (mesh) access point and HT gear are in the same, small, room. And be warned that AirPlay doesn't "play nice" with Ethernet... Sometimes Airplay works on Ethernet and sometimes it does not. Search the Internet and you'll find countless tales of airplay working or not on Ethernet...
Really not pleased with Apple lackadaisical approach to music streaming, their usual display of arrogance... They should be reminded that hubris and arrogance have befallen a great many companies..

Peace

Last edited:
OP
gallionetech

gallionetech

Hi

I have the same issues, Wi-Fi (mesh) access point and HT gear are in the same, small, room. And be warned that AirPlay doesn't "play nice" with Ethernet... Sometimes Airplay works on Ethernet and sometimes it does not. Search the Internet and you'll tales of airplay working or not on Ethernet...
Really not pleased with Apple lackadaisical approach to music streaming, their usual display of arrogance... They should be reminded that hubris and arrogance have befallen a great many companies..

Peace
I’m going to try it on Wi-Fi, yea not pleased at all with AirPlay. My new approach is to connect my phone directly to my DAC and use my Apple Watch as a remote

Top Bottom