• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AirPlay 2 bridge?

bhigh

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced AirPlay 2 bridge? Everything I'm able to find is either a full blown receiver and amp, or a stand alone speaker like a Sonos.

I'd like to find an easy way to add support to my receiver without replacing it. Something with SPDIF or analog out would be fine. Basically a chrome cast audio, but for airplay.

OP
bhigh

bhigh

It's discontinued, and the prices on eBay are all over the place. It's surprising that Apple added airplay 2 support, honestly.

The apple TV would work, but it's not hitting the sub $50 price I'd like

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are no Airplay 2 bridges with optical out other than the discontinued AIrport Express. Apple TV is still locked to resampling everything to 48kHz so it’s hard to justify as a music bridge, plus you need an HDMI de-embedder.

If you can wait, Airplay 2 was reverse-engineered in December and work is underway on adding support to Shairplay-sync, which should eventually be usable on a Raspberry Pi.

OP
bhigh

bhigh

Resampling doesn't bug me too much, and since my AV receiver has HDMI in that's simple enough. I'd like to have something smaller to use with powered speakers that I have in other rooms too, which is where the AppleTV would really fall down.

I found this post on modifying the IKEA speakers, but it's a hack job and still only one channel.

I guess I'll have to wait for the Raspberry Pi to get support.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's discontinued, and the prices on eBay are all over the place. It's surprising that Apple added airplay 2 support, honestly.

The apple TV would work, but it's not hitting the sub $50 price I'd like

I got mine at the Apple refurb store for $40 - TV2 or is it 3? - has the optical out

I don't get the 'problem' with resampling(?)

OP
bhigh

bhigh

The Gen3 AppleTV doesn't support AirPlay 2, only AirPlay.

Resampling can cause some distortion, but honestly I can't hear it. Most of my music is from streaming sources, and I'm not doing a lot of critical listening.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
some claim that Resampling can cause some distortion, but I haven't seen any evidence

do you need AirPlay 2?

SloPoke

Forum Donor
some claim that Resampling can cause some distortion, but I haven't seen any evidence

do you need AirPlay 2?
Big difference between Airplay 1 and 2 is the facility to bundle multiple devices into multi-room sound. With Airplay, you can pick which device you want the music to play from Vs. You don't have to pick just the one room with Airplay 2 devices.

OP
bhigh

bhigh

I managed to score an AirPort Express 2 for < $50, now I need to see about getting it integrated with the receiver. I'm pretty sure I have a TRS-style SPDIF to normal cable around here ...

Top Bottom