• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AI music vs real quiz (easy)

Sokel

Master Contributor
8/10,missed country and pop (know very little about them,makes sense).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
7/10 but I was confused by the ones with vocals. Are they deliberately made to be gibberish if either human or ai so we can't use that to tell? Or is the gibberish a massive clue its ai generated?

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got 9/10. I incorrectly identified the Funk R&B as AI. Not so surprising - it was crap :cool:
Exactly the same. 9/10, the funk was so bad that I only let a few notes go by. I wasn't convinced it was AI, but I thought, "this is so bad that if it isn't AI, it shouldn't be blamed on humans..." :p All of the others also guessed in a few notes—in general, the AI versions were awkward sounding, and if it didn't sound awkward right away, I guessed human.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
7/10 but I was confused by the ones with vocals. Are they deliberately made to be gibberish if either human or ai so we can't use that to tell? Or is the gibberish a massive clue its ai generated?

The AI is just generating sounds based on it's training inputs, it 'knows' nothing about the presumed source of those sounds (be they instruments, vocals or something else)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it were 4/10, I wouldn't admit it but I got 7/10 like the other geesers here. Music could have been better all around.

jurop

Forum Donor
1676497102631.png

i got wrong the funk/R&B b/c... well, IMHO it's really a piece of crap, I judged it composed by AI in the same way I spotted the other craps :(
I'd say 'non intellegible words' plus 'wrong sounds' are the most significant issues, and now let's think that all of our feedbacks are helping google to improve its algorithms...

EDIT: hahaha, I see now from previous comments I'm not the only one who had been fooled by the funk/R&B piece !

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The AI is just generating sounds based on it's training inputs, it 'knows' nothing about the presumed source of those sounds (be they instruments, vocals or something else)
That's what I mean. I assumed they might have garbled the vocals on legit music when setting up the test to make it less obvious. But no.

Though to be fair the opera could have been gibberish or Italian and I wouldn't have known either way.

MAB

Major Contributor
4/10. Does that mean I'm an AI? Easiest one is country. What does that say, that AI doesn't understand country music? And I never understand why anyone listens to it either. I had hopes AI would improve country music.
Maybe the AI needs to play it backwards, see if it makes sense then...;)

JSmith

Master Contributor
Just a bit of fun :)

Yeah did it yesterday... 7/10 on a quick go using basic external PC speakers whilst busy. I did notice AI piano is too perfect and I can tell it's generated fairly easily... also any sung words were unintelligible, which was an easy clue as well.

JSmith

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
It would be interesting to hear the outcome if a program produced a new performance of Bach's cello suites from an amalgamation of prior performances.

Something like the challenging suites can really demonstrate an individual artist's interpretation of a piece of music that has no one-correct-way of being performed.

Last edited:
OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Next will be a grammy award given to an artist for song of the year and when the truth comes out, it will be AI.

New millenium version of Milli-Vanilli...

You heard it here first. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
8/10. Got the hiphop and funk ones wrong. Most of the others were pretty easy, especially the ones with “lyrics” :facepalm:

Would be fun to redo this with real people performing the songs, with lyrics AI generated as well. I’m pretty sure it will be a lot harder.

Top Bottom