• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ahhhh! How can this be possible?

MRC01

Major Contributor
... This is the reason why you need reflections in a listening room, otherwise you loose all these effects and everything will sound like a group of garden midgets in a line between the two speakers.
Room reflections can make the sound more expansive, but they aren't necessary for "all these effects". Interaural delays that make the soundstage wider than the speakers can be realized in a non-reflective room, or on headphones.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
stereo widning processers are all based on delay to create the Haas effect:
using a simple delay causes terrible phasing though (besides the mono compatibility issue)....so good processors have a complicated algorythm to make the final effect

mansr

Major Contributor
The soundstage appears to extend way outside the width of the speakers (equilateral triangle 2.2m a side). By at least a metre. Both sides.

How is this possible?
QSound or similar processing, perhaps.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Not a sign of acute audiophilitis. This dangerous illnes can realy be coused by intense listening on new speakers. But a realy good provision against it, is reading ASR. So you are not in danger.
Ahh! I had wondered. Was my mind lost. Apparently not. Or found.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

Not a sign of acute audiophilitis. This dangerous illnes can realy be coused by intense listening on new speakers. But a realy good provision against it, is reading ASR. So you are not in danger.
I have read of the claim in subjective reviews of speakers. I had always thought it a myth. I have heard it myself. AHHH! WHERE IS MY MIND?.

OP
Eidie

Eidie

For the OP: sound travels at about 1100 feet per second. Your ears are about 7 inches apart. So a sound coming from your R hits that ear about half a millisecond before it hits the L ear. Your brain detects this time difference and uses it (among other things) to sense the direction of the sound. Your brain detects smaller delay differences as sounds that are closer to center.

Now if you make a stereo recording with this same delay in some of the sounds, they'll sound like they're coming from well outside the speakers.
I’m not sure this is a safe space to share this. But here goes. My ears are exactly 11.2857 inches apart.

Blaspheme

I have read of the claim in subjective reviews of speakers. I had always thought it a myth. I have heard it myself. AHHH! WHERE IS MY MIND?.
Two choices really: 1) enjoy your new system, or 2) you are experiencing the duplicity of stereophony, immediately disconnect one of your speakers, switch your amp to mono and move the remaining speaker to the centre (sitting yourself on a wooden stool will help restore austerity).

Joking aside, as tomtoo and dasdoing's links above attest, it's in the mix. Contrary to widespread misconception, the first choice is the red pill, the second is the blue, not the other way around (at least as far as intended reproduction of the recording is concerned). I get it on much of the stuff I enjoy. You probably didn't hear it before because your (previous) system wasn't as good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom