• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AHB2 vs A21+

vavan

As far as I know the amp in the older integrated Hint was not the A21 but the lower-end A23
Not quite, something between a21 and a23, but probably closer to a21

Vasr

Major Contributor
Not quite, something between a21 and a23, but probably closer to a21

I could be wrong but I don't think so. There just isn't enough space in the Hint chassis for the A21 configuration. A23 was a cut-down design (all derivatives of the JC design) of the A21 with 12 output transistors (so smaller heat sink), 40kuf capacitors and 1kva transformer just like in the Hint. The A21 had the 16 output transistor, 88kuf capacitors and 1.2kva transformer configuration.

I do think however that the original Hint integrated had much less of the compromises in components they made with the A23 stand-alone leading to a bit better specs.

This short-coming was fixed in the next iteration and so Halo 6 does have the exact A23+ amp and the prices match exactly of P6 with A23+. I don't think they replaced an A21 with the A23+ in that series.

vavan

There just isn't enough space in the Hint chassis for the A21 configuration. A23 was a cut-down design
Sure, but at least hinto specs are better than a23

pma

Major Contributor
May I know if you have measurements for 1W?

Also, any measurements for A23?

Thanks!

I am sorry, I do not have a 1W plot. My time with A21 was quite limited. I suppose it would be fine at 1W, taking into account number of output pairs and Iq.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I am sorry, I do not have a 1W plot. My time with A21 was quite limited. I suppose it would be fine at 1W, taking into account number of output pairs and Iq.
Thanks! I do wonder how often the amp would output over 1W if signals from preamp are high passed at 80Hz.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Sure, but at least hinto specs are better than a23

With much more noise/distortion in the A23 version from the component selection, the specs got lowered in the stand-alone version. But the configuration is the same.

Those are discontinued anyway.

Just wanted to make sure that people don't think the current version Hint 6 has the current A21+ instead of the current A23+ that it actually has.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Perhaps 125 vs 160 watts not a big deal

Of course, it is a significant difference but it wasn't because the Hint amp had anything to do with the A21. As I mentioned earlier, the first A23 stand-alone was too compromised in components to consequently have lower power rating. For the same amp that was used in the Hint. This was fixed in A23+ and the power went back up to 160W for the exact same design. So you can justifiable say the original Hint was closer to the current A23+.

But if you want to feel that your Hint has an A21 or something like that, fine with me.

My original point was that in the measurements, the Hint amp measurements won't measure like the A21 (in the full set not just power specs) somewhere between the A23 and A23+, so the poorer measurements of the Halo relative to the A21 measurements should not be surprising.

vavan

But if you want to feel that your Hint has an A21 or something like that, fine with me
No, I think that was rather exaggeration on my side, thanks for your clarifications

Nathan_A

Forum Donor
I had it here, but did not made any meaningful measurements. Subjectively, it was more noisy (worse S/N). You could hear noise and slight hum if the ear was about 50cm from speakers with some 88dB/W/m sensitivity. My qualified guess is that the integrated is worse than A21.

I also measured Parasound P5 preamp. It was quite good, see attached plots.

Parasound P5 preamp measurements

View attachment 83198
Intermodulation 13+14kHz test

View attachment 83199
THD vs. frequency
I have one of these and can confirm it's quite good. It sounds much better than just using my Soncoz SGD1's digital volume control straight into either my Yamaha MX-1 or my Icepower 1200AS2 based amp. Not really sure why, but the difference is not subtle.

Interestingly, if you open up the P5 you'll note it's the least "audiophile" looking interior you've probably ever seen on a Parasound component.

Nybto

Forum Donor
I felt that I noticed the noise floor difference with the AHB2, from the first moment, having had an HCA 2200 II (and A21 before that but these were very similar). It's not just that its quiet between tracks, but also decay of notes and fade outs are better defined (a minor point - I would concede - but I enjoyed that). On the other hand.. the Parasound's have this massive current capability and I always had the feeling that big crescendos, at high volume, were properly respected, the AHB2 doesn't quite seem the same, but I haven't A-B'd that so.. I just haven't registered that particular adrenaline rush with the AHB2. AHB2 wins outright on power consumption though. I also have the D90 which, so far, is just faultless, but if you don't like it's perfection, then you might not like the AHB2's either :(.

Vasr

Major Contributor
... I just haven't registered that particular adrenaline rush with the AHB2.

Actually, that seems to be a fairly common first impression from people who try out the AHB2 for the first time switching from something else. Some get acclimatized to it and then feel it more natural going forward with the AHB2, some never do. So, I suspect people return this unit fairly quickly or keep it forever.

It becomes a subjective preference in that aspect. I won't speculate on the reasons or which one is truer because that is rather academic when it gets to subjective preferences.

TankTop

I’ve been wanting to see testing and reviews of Parasound for awhile and they performed to my expectations, with some minor distortion. I’m definitely keeping them on my short list of amps if I ever have the money.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting that, I have not seen this A21+ review yet. The measurements are generally very similar to mine performed on the older A21. However, it seems to me that regarding measurements the A21+, according to Stereophile plots, is a step back. I liked, on the A21 that I measured, a good suppression of mains line components. The A21+ results look worse (to my eyes) and also distortion seems to be higher than that of A21 in my measurements.

My view is that Parasound needed a reason to charge more money for essentially a 20-year old design. Bryston found a way to keep charging more for each version of the 4B; Parasound did not want to miss out on margin.

I’m a skeptic in that I realize that much of the high-end is all about separating audiophiles from more of their money for marginal, if extant, improvements. With that being said, I’ve been separated from more of my money for audiophile sophistry than I dare to count.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Panelhead

Forum Donor
Anyone have measurements of the A21+? Amir's superb review of the AHB2 is great, and I have fond memories of the Benchmark DAC1, so as a company I'm leaning that way.

Only thing that concerns me is the fact that I'm a POS that seems to like noise.

I'm not loving the D90, I think I'd rather have the less accurate Denafrips Ares II.

I'm worried I'll feel the same way about the AHB2.

Can anyone tell me the sonic/audible differences between the two? Different sound signatures etc?

When I saw the Stereophile review of the Ares II the noise floor was below -160 dB on some tests like the jitter spectrum. You might be likening the lack of noise coming from the Denafrips.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom