• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Age of Universe - Big Bang theory is childish and wrong

OP
Juhazi

Juhazi

Major Contributor
That makes no sense at all.
Actually that "childish and wrong" was a provocation to open up this discussion. And this category is "Fun topics, videos, etc.":)

But I cincerily have hard times to understand the conclusion of having nothing but immaterial quantum fluctuation at single point in space, and then all these rocks and gasballs expanding and flying around. Multiverse kind of explanation is better in my opinion.

Discussion and research are important, despite the final goal/truth remains undisclosed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Bernstein )

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I more and more think that we live in simulation. There are way too many cases of "intuition". Couple of examples from my life:
1. I live in US while my sister, brother, mom are in Russia. I decided to send to one of the kids a red RC car as a gift. I also watch regularly "funny videos" on Youtube. The day I sent the package, one of the videos featured a grown up guy receiving similarly looking, red(!) RC car in a package.
2. As I was returning from airport not long ago, I picked up one of the free magazine, which advertises local shops/businesses/communities. It had a lady rock-climbing on its front page. I didn't pay much attention to it. Couple of days later my sister sent me some pics of her kids rock-climbing. Then I paid my attention to the mag. Astonished.

SemperUnum

Here are some interesting things I found online that sparked my interest.

Wigners friend:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner's_friend

Quantum foam:

Furthermore I found out I was misinformed about some scientific facts that later turned out to be different from what I was told at school. A good example is E=mc2, that formula is not complete and actually misses the very important Lorentz Factor and also does not work for photons.

Due to that misunderstanding I wrongly thought that when you accelerated closer to the speed of light that your mass would increase so increasingly more energy was needed to further accelerate, that turned out to be false. What actually happens when you get closer to the speed of light is that your local time compared to your point of origin gets relatively slower hence why increasingly more (longer) local energy input is needed to further increase the relative speed compared to your point of origin. This new information completely changed my long standing view of space-time.

I keep wondering what more I missed.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I more and more think that we live in simulation. There are way too many cases of "intuition". Couple of examples from my life:
1. I live in US while my sister, brother, mom are in Russia. I decided to send to one of the kids a red RC car as a gift. I also watch regularly "funny videos" on Youtube. The day I sent the package, one of the videos featured a grown up guy receiving similarly looking, red(!) RC car in a package.
2. As I was returning from airport not long ago, I picked up one of the free magazine, which advertises local shops/businesses/communities. It had a lady rock-climbing on its front page. I didn't pay much attention to it. Couple of days later my sister sent me some pics of her kids rock-climbing. Then I paid my attention to the mag. Astonished.

There is a simpler explanation: Google is watching you, and knows your every move ;)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I keep wondering what more I missed.

Don't know, but I hope you didn't miss the single most beautiful result in physics (IMO), that putting relativistic corrections in the electric field equations for a moving charge causes the magnetic field equations to appear.

mansr

Major Contributor
Billions of events occur every minute. It would be quite remarkable if a few of them didn't, through random chance, appear to be connected.

SemperUnum

Don't know, but I hope you didn't miss the single most beautiful result in physics (IMO), that putting relativistic corrections in the electric field equations for a moving charge causes the magnetic field equations to appear.
I was not aware of this yet, and it's lovely indeed!

Thank you for sharing that information.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I cincerily have hard times to understand the conclusion of having nothing but immaterial quantum fluctuation at single point in space, and then all these rocks and gasballs expanding and flying around. Multiverse kind of explanation is better in my opinion.

Well, most multiverse theories are also based on what you describe as "immaterial quantum fluctuation at single point in space" in your perception of the Big Bang explanations and are seen by some as the logical consequence of those "immaterial quantum fluctuation at single point in space".
On top of that, they don't exclude the Big Bang. I fact some of them imply or require an infinite number of Big Bangs.
And they don't even exclude simulation btw, because if a universe could be simulated, why not simulate an infinity of them?

Saying one doesn't like the Big Bang and prefers a multiverse theory is a bit like saying one doesn't like the H2O molecule but one enjoys drowning.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All I know is that the sun rises in the morning and goes down in the evening.

OP
Juhazi

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Well, most multiverse theories are also based on what you describe as "immaterial quantum fluctuation at single point in space" in your perception of the Big Bang explanations and are seen by some as the logical consequence of those "immaterial quantum fluctuation at single point in space". On top of that, they don't exclude the Big Bang. I fact some of them imply or require an infinite number of Big Bangs. And they don't even exclude simulation btw, because if a universe could be simulated, why not simulate an infinity of them?
Saying one doesn't like the Big Bang and prefers a multiverse theory is a bit like saying one doesn't like the H2O molecule but one enjoys drowning.

That suits me - infinite number of big bangs and infinete time! But I enjoy drinking and swimming in lake water more than drowning!

kontio 0519.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
Heard a fellow claim a little while back the period in which the Big Bang occurred is a placeholder for our lack in understanding with respect to the laws of physics and such.

The only actual explanation that is as quaint as the idea of God, is the whole computer simulation theory(evidence being the unaccounted for dark matter/energy and such). Only problem with that theory, is we're back to square-one almost, with no way of proving or disproving it until we can exit the system and get a third person view of it from the outside(sort of like a religion of sorts now that has proponents saying "don't bother, since you can't leave a simulation").

It also doesn't make sense to propose theories more complex, as everything we've observed in our reality starts with simplicity, and expands unto complexity. Even if it were true that we are in a simulation, it doesn't do anything to expanding our understanding since we can't prove it, or disprove it.. The only time it would make sense to start talking about it seriously, is if everything in the simulation was fully understood. Which as we can see, we don't have a full grasp of our reality.

Top Bottom