• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Age of Universe - Big Bang theory is childish and wrong

OP
Juhazi

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Big Bang Theory is childish and wrong

Sheldon ?

No, this topic is not related to the TV series The Big Bang, and it's character PhD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper
It was shown also here in Finland 2009-12, but I never watched (I'm too old to watch sitcoms)

About fiction, or actually folklore - we Finns have the saga Kalevala, which contains explanation for the beginning of universe.
A goldeneye duck made her nest on goddess Ilmatar's lap and laid six golden and one iron eggs. When Ilmatar moved, the eggs fell to sea and got broken. So were born land, water, air, sun, moon and stars. (Actually original saga tells that eggs were laid on the first man Väinämöinen's knee when he was already in the sea. Väinämöinen was son of goddess Ilmatar. (the saga obviously has some logical issues...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalevala
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalevipoeg

An egg is most popular saga for the origin of universe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_egg

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have opinions too, no I don't. Recommended reading for anyone who wants to ever express an opinion about "relativity" and anything that builds upon it, apparently conflicts with it or is in any way related.

https://www.amazon.com/Most-Incomprehensible-Thing-Introduction-Mathematics/dp/0957389469

Once you finish it, probably not earlier than 2020 and realize you still can't understand a thing in contemporary physics papers, you realize how pointless having any opinion is. :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It was shown also here in Finland 2009-12, but I never watched (I'm too old to watch sitcoms)

a great comedy series. Still aired today in the Netherlands. Absolutely love the series.

Understood the show has nothing to do with it but could not resist ... Sheldon ... childish and wonderfully wrong... had to make the comment.

My brain is too puny to really understand the universe and don't feel any need to theorise over its origin either. I reckon all 'theories' out there are probably far from the truth anyway... or simulated truth...

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ther you touch a paradox Basicly you think in deterministic way ( as we all do) try to think in a superposition ( which for us is extreem dificult). It is the same thing with 2 dimensional beeings that try to figuer out a maze put the 3th dimension in an you see the way out imediatly. So probaly it is an non issiue (asking you what was ther before) for beeings that live in a supperposition (possible live in the 4th or higher dimension where you exist in muliple existence in time and space). Ha ha if time exist. I guess that living in a superposition is the same thing as boeddhisme tries to reach entlightment.
I looooove ASR :D
I read your interesting reply ... The movie "Arrival" hints as such BTW... Regardless of how we superpose in my view and even if time is non linear.. Anything define a space, a universe, a state for anything to happen ... This space, thing, universe, etc ... may well be determined by the phenomenon still the existence suppose something ... a "pre" requisite.

After reading a few posts .. Now let me go listen to my femto-clock controlled DAC ... powered by my Nordost Quantum Purifier .. Its sound comes from a dark matter background :cool::)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
---
Well., that's what most scientists think now, or have calculated with man-made formulas. The molecules and nuclear particles, gravity, time etc. don't know anything about these formulas and reactions they should follow.

Does the sun need to be sentient in order to understand and obey the laws of physics?

Do I need to understand gravity to be affected by it?

Last edited:
OP
Juhazi

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I used to have opinions too, no I don't.
Once you finish it, probably not earlier than 2020 and realize you still can't understand a thing in contemporary physics papers, you realize how pointless having any opinion is. :)

I agree and understand you. Actually I don't care what others think about theories, or about making theories. The universe obviously smiles inside when looking at this and other cosmological blabberings. By the way my neighbor is a professor in nuclear physics, has worked at CERN etc., but he has life too, playing Beatles songs with his band, taking care of grandchildren etc. I have never bothered to ask him about what he thinks about the "birth" of universe... now I must do that!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I think that the universe has always existed and it is in a fluctuating state.
I am not a scientist, but I just can't take either theory - static or big bang. What we consider expansion is just a too local and short-time observation.

Philosophically it is also fruitless to think about WHY the universe exists (if it exists in the first place). The nature and universe, including life and evolution on the planet Earth, don't have any reason intrinsically, no agenda or purpose. It just exists.

PLEASE, keep this discussion polite and free of religious proclamations. If your explanation includes the creator (a god of some kind), that is okay to tell.

How is it that the big bang theory is childish? Click bait? No religious proclamations, but god is OK is contradictory. The end is near. Don't ask me why.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the sun need to be sentient in order to understand and obey the laws of physics?

Do I need to understand gravity to be affected by it?

Perhaps thinking in terms of natural laws, relying on binaries like something/nothing etc, are in fact components of our very limitation?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ignorance is Bliss

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Perhaps thinking in terms of natural laws, relying on binaries like something/nothing etc, are in fact components of our very limitation?

We didn't evolve to understand how the universe works in a sophisticated way, but biological evolution doesn't require theoretical knowledge.

Dolphins are not aquadynamic because they undersand fluid dynamics.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree and understand you. Actually I don't care what others think about theories, or about making theories. The universe obviously smiles inside when looking at this and other cosmological blabberings. By the way my neighbor is a professor in nuclear physics, has worked at CERN etc., but he has life too, playing Beatles songs with his band, taking care of grandchildren etc. I have never bothered to ask him about what he thinks about the "birth" of universe... now I must do that!
Some weeks ago i was invited at the Delft university Qtech to bring us uptodate regarding the progression to keep quantumbits as long as posible in an entangeld state. The first thing one of the proffesor said about this entangeld state/ superposition was If you think you understand this weird state you don't understand it.

Last edited:
OP
Juhazi

Juhazi

Major Contributor
How is it that the big bang theory is childish? Click bait? No religious proclamations, but god is OK is contradictory. The end is near. Don't ask me why.

A good question! This is why.
8410960-750xauto-cara-menjawab-soal-ujian-mencocokkan-ini-kocak-sekaligus-jenius-1610185-1544535546-728-6b69af3710-1544778866.jpg

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some weeks ago i was invited at the Delft university Qtech to bring us uptodate regarding the progression to keep quantumbits as long as posible in an entangeld state. The first thing one of the proffesor said about this entangeld state/ superposition was If you think you understand this weird state you don't understand it.

Quantum mechanics requires one to suspend all common sense and real-world experience, and instead, trust the math (which happens to be very good at making predictions). If you try to interpret QM in terms of real-world phenomena that we are familiar with, you'll quickly realize that it makes no sense at all. Probability wave functions in place of particles, collapse of wave function when observed, universe splitting into trillions of copies of itself every second, all of them existing simultaneously, quantum entanglement at a distance, etc., etc. etc. Reality is much, much stranger than fiction.

Top Bottom