• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Again: Best sounding (hifi) speakers for my tiny desk

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The MTM allows you to sneak in 7" of woofer via two 3.5" ones.
Just a note that 2 x 3,5" woofer cone area will be closer to that of a single 5" woofer (rather than 7").

2 × (3,5^2 × pi) = ~77
5^2 × pi = ~78
7^2 × pi = ~154

paudio

Just a note that 2 x 3,5" woofer cone area will be closer to that of a single 5" woofer (rather than 7").

2 × (3,5^2 × pi) = ~77
5^2 × pi = ~78
7^2 × pi = ~154

Yes this true. I incorrectly summed two circles by diameter. So 5" woofer equivalent in the end

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

it feels like I basically read through the whole board in other threads, still I cant decide what to get. I know of all the monitors like JBL, Kali Audio LP6 V2 (and how they compare vs in-5, v1), Adam T5V etc. etc.

I try to make it as short as possible:
- I have a very tiny desk in a niche between my drawer and wall. It measures 120x60 cm. Im planning to wall mount the future speakers to the right and left of my screen. Means, the speakers will surely both be directly on the wall and actually in corners.
- I hear most exclusively electronic music, techno, deep house etc. - I dont like super analytical sound - I like it a bit warmer / emotional
- I mostly hear mid quality sound files, like Spotify and soundcloud mixes
- That brings me to the toughest point: I see that everyone here mostly recommends Neumann KH80 or several Genelec speakers. Problem is, most of the speakers look really ugly to me (no offense). Im going to build a minimal and modern niche, so every single piece placed there should fit aesthetically together
- Budget is secondary, im ready to spent up to 1500,- €
- Im looking for the perfect combination of Design, Sound and Size

Might the KEF LSX the speaker im looking for? What concerns me is that I would use a Wireless speaker when I dont actually "want" a wireless speaker. I read about unstability etc. Dont wanna bother with that. On the other hand I read that they sound "better" in the pure near field, what would be my listening profile.

KEF Q150? vanatoo transparent One? Tannoy Gold 5? Elac DBR62 no option cause of the wooden looks. Did I miss anything?

Thank you very much!
I had the tannoy gold 5 and succumb to the ASR threats if i didnt trade them for neumann or genelec they would take my first born.
I now own the kh120.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wanted something compact but not something with a tiny woofer. The MTM allows you to sneak in 7" of woofer via two 3.5" ones. It's sort of deceptive. Can crank em a decent amount but might need to roll off the bass a bit if I want to listen from another room.

All that being said about the bass driver being a 5" equivalent: I've heard four inch drivers go lower than 10-12" drivers.

Can't really go by any single measure unless it's air volume, and at low levels I'll bet the DSP on the iLoud MTM keeps the drivers are Xmax to give it extension it wouldn't normally have if it were passive.

tiramisu

How is the kali lp2v2 at low volume, near-field in a closet?
My office is basically a long narrow wiring closet. 8x12 feet kind of thing.

It would be nice to have decent sound without the headphones on.
(if I need bass I can add a small sub)

I'm a little concerned about audible active speaker noise.
and I'm also thinking that they might have to be too loud in order to get the best tone.

thoughts?

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I received a pair of Kali LP-6 Wave 2. I compared them with IN-5 and thought - based on online reviews - they might suit better for my taste of music, because it was said the produce more bass.
Thanks for starting this thread. I have a similar dilema and the iLoud MTMs and the Kali-s are on my list too. Since you had both Kali-s, would be great to hear more LP6 vs. IN5 details.

Did you hear some diffs in FR, does any of those have more bass/highs/etc? Are soundstage and imaging the same? Are there some audible diffs in timbre (i.e. warmer/colder sound)? Is the hiss audible on any of them?
And generally, any other diffs in sound or features that you might consider worthwhile...

Last edited:

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Found a nice comparison video on youtube. Very similar. I can hear a slight diff in soundstage size/shape in some tracks but otherwise they seem almost identical. At least as far as I can hear through youtube & headphones.
Would still like to hear some in-person impressions @HayGuise

Top Bottom