• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After sub integration what next for REW room correction?

Harryharryharry

Hello!

I've integrate my sub on my minidsp Flex following https://www.minidsp.com/applications/subwoofer-tuning/sub-integration-rew . It's sounding good, but I'm only EQing the sub at the moment to 100hz (the crossover is at 80hz).

I can't seem to find any tutorials on EQing mains with REW? I tried the above approach but the REW filter didn't suggest any changes above the sub frequencies anyway...

What is the typical frequency range that is EQ'd? I understand it is low frequencies up to ~ 150-250hz is that right? Should I bother above? When I've used Dirac I've done it full range so I feel like I'm missing something not toughing the mains at all, even if only the 80-250hz range.

I've just learned Dirac for PC has a free trial which is awesome, so I'd like to compare my best effort with REW vs Dirac.

Cheers

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Hello!

I've integrate my sub on my minidsp Flex following https://www.minidsp.com/applications/subwoofer-tuning/sub-integration-rew . It's sounding good, but I'm only EQing the sub at the moment to 100hz (the crossover is at 80hz).

I can't seem to find any tutorials on EQing mains with REW? I tried the above approach but the REW filter didn't suggest any changes above the sub frequencies anyway...

What is the typical frequency range that is EQ'd? I understand it is low frequencies up to ~ 150-250hz is that right? Should I bother above? When I've used Dirac I've done it full range so I feel like I'm missing something not toughing the mains at all, even if only the 80-250hz range.

I've just learned Dirac for PC has a free trial which is awesome, so I'd like to compare my best effort with REW vs Dirac.

Cheers

When some people mention "room correction", they might mean the range below the transition frequency or Schroeder frequency of the room -- kind of somewhere there in the range you wrote. Others say it's perfectly okay to correct above the transition so as long as sufficient data has been collected (e.g. quasi-anechoic on- and off-axis curves, multi-point, and/or moving mic method) and appropriate filtering applied (e.g. frequency dependent windowing and/or smoothing) to prevent over or excessive correction.

Top Bottom