• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After advice on speaker placement in a horrible small rectangle room

Mr Lipz

Hey guy's. I'm after some advice on speaker placement. I'm not after studio levels of sound but am looking to buy sound panels etc to help with the sound but thought I'd start with placement.

The room itself is for my office/gaming room but is horrible for positioning as my door opens inwards and I have a offset centered window on the shorter wall the opposite end.

I've included a sketchup with dimensions of the room and some photos of the room as it is at the moment.

I'm not even sure I'm going to get decent sound with the speakers being placed on the desk (Close to me) Am new ish to this stuff most of my experience is in car audio.

Any helps appreciated.

Speakers I'm using at the moment are Edifier S2000 MKIII, which are fed signal from the pc.

I'll either be getting new speakers (2.1) ran seperately off an amp or just a subwoofer to add a bit more low end.

As an addition to speaker placement. I know the window wall is most likely the wall I should have the backs of the speakers on but unsure how the window effects this (I have a thick blackout blind covering the whole recesss of the window).

Also positioning of the sound panels/bass traps etc if needed would be appreciated. I'll also potetnailly be having another monitor (the same as in the picture) but may have to stack them on top of eachother due to room. (Im clueless here). Also excuse the mess in the photo.

4b8dcff32dc9e9aeab5b8a7b78749ba7.png

325855642_3379531342284287_261815900470212232_n.jpg

Thanks Jay

Tupisac

As your room is rectangular with equal height you can play with room simulator in REW and get meaningful results.
As a rule of thumb, it is advised to play a sound along longer dimension, so you may consider placing the desk by the wall with a window. But again - I'd check it with room simulator first.

IMHO for PC audio active monitors with a nice interface are a way to go. As a very happy owner of a pair of JBL 305 monitors and JBL 310S sub I cannot recommend them enough.

Willem

Major Contributor
The more low frequencies you pump into a small room the more problems you will have with room modes. Speakers on a desk is another problem. Raise the speakers to get the tweeters at ear level. Next do a Umik-1/ REW measurement plus create an REW correction curve (below 500 Hz or so) to deal with the bass hump from the desk. Upload into Equalizer Apo/Peace on the PC.

OP
M

Mr Lipz

Thanks guy's Ill have a look into REW and Umik-1, I'm not needing more lower end the Edifiers in fairness for what I use them for (mostly music and most evenings I have headphones on anyway so its not that drastic.

How I have the desk at the moment the reflect off the wall behind me is pretty bad (Doesn't help with the hard surfaces I'd imagine).

I was thinking of moving my desk to the window wall, but was worried about speakers in a corner. I also looked at isoacoustic to replace the foam stands and get the tweeter more aligned with ear height.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll have a play and see what I can put together :)

Top Bottom