• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Afordable ADC for vinyl

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I like to add my LPs to my digital stream, eventually ending in a Dirac unit. I may even try to correct the cartridge-phono preamp chain once I can feed it into the DSP.
So I need an good but afordable ADC for that. I came across some posts, but they dealt with microphones mostly. Has anybody a good recommendation for vinyl?

levimax

Major Contributor
I like to add my LPs to my digital stream, eventually ending in a Dirac unit. I may even try to correct the cartridge-phono preamp chain once I can feed it into the DSP.
So I need an good but afordable ADC for that. I came across some posts, but they dealt with microphones mostly. Has anybody a good recommendation for vinyl?
Amir just reviewed the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which tested well. I tried to use one with Windows 7 and had issues so I got a Steinberg Ur22 MK 2 and it works perfectly. Common internet wisdom is the Focusrite works best with Apple and Steinberg has better windows drivers.... I found that to be true but there are a lot of variables... I think both are good

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Most RIAA pre-amps put out line-level which most ADC's do not have any problems with.
Given the THD of vinyl most ADC's will probably do.

Cheap ADC that works is UMC204HD (Behringer) and more expensive but better Motu M2,
maybe the Tascam US2x2 or Scarlet 2i2
But if you want the top product (you can also measure with it) the RME ADI-2 Pro FS

Last edited:
Reactions: JMC

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on whether you want the output to be on USB or S-PDIF. For the former, the Scarlett is a good solution, I use a Lexicon I-Onix U22 which is much the same.

For S-PDIF, I bought a Crystal Semiconductors ADC evaluation board, added a simple power supply and put it in a box. If you want something ready made, then the Behringer SRC2496 is a good bet, it's an ADC and DAC with sample rate conversion if required.

S

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most RIAA pre-amps put out line-level which most ADC's do not have any problems with.
Given the THD of vinyl most ADC's will probably do.

Cheap ADC that works well is UMC204HD (Behringer) and more expensive Motu M2,
maybe the Tascam US2x2 or Scarlet 2i2
But if you want the top product (you can also measure with it) the RME ADI-2 Pro FS

I had problems with all the Behringer UMC series with high distortion on the ADC. Their DAC sections are good, just the ADC lets them down. Compared with vinyl, even the high distortion of the UMC isn't that bad, but there are much better units. It again depends on whether the output should be USB or S-PDIF / AES-EBU.

S

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Were I choosing such a thing and being economical I'd currently choose the Motu 2 for that. As others have said, ADC's will handle line level as well as microphone levels.

Willem

Major Contributor
Pro-ject Ephono box optical is a MM pre amp and adc for optical output. Feed the optical output to the optical input of an RME ADI 2 DAC and use the ADI's usb output into a computer.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I had problems with all the Behringer UMC series with high distortion on the ADC. Their DAC sections are good, just the ADC lets them down. Compared with vinyl, even the high distortion of the UMC isn't that bad, but there are much better units. It again depends on whether the output should be USB or S-PDIF / AES-EBU.

S

I have the UMC202 and 204 and both work fine. When ripping vinyl one usually stays well below -3dB peaks and would normalize later.
These are budget devices and indeed there are much better units as is usual the case with budget gear.
I never use them anywhere near 0dB though.

I would go for the Motu as well and if I had the funds the ADI-2
The Motu looks great too.

Last edited:
OP
JoachimStrobel

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
Thanks for the many suggestions. Ideally I would want a HDMI output to feed the Oppo or MiniDSP. I could try with a separate USB to HDMI converter, that could have other uses too. Or is there a decent PCI card for a windows PC that does a good AtoD job?

billybuck

I've used the Focusrite Scarlett also, and found it indistinguishable from the straight analog circuit, even at 16/44 (and, of course it will go much higher res than that if your attached computer will handle it.) I wanted to use the Scarlett in a different location for live recording projects, so I tried a Soundblaster X-Fi, which has very low noise specs and sells for about $80 used, and had similarly transparent results. It has digital out, but no HDMI.

OP
JoachimStrobel

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
It is a bit late - but thank for all the advice. As I needed an ADC with HDMI out, I still did not find my perfect low cost adc. Until yesterday. I added a Hifiberry DAC+ Adc pro to my Raspbery running Volumio superor. That combo now routes the Adc signal to HDMI and this sounds really good now.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For other people who may be seeking a phono ADC, one solution is the Parasound Zphono USB. It does convert phono inputs into 16/44 digital out via USB, as well as providing a line level output. It also has line level inputs that can be digitized, as well.

jae

Major Contributor
Motu M2/M4 is the only correct answer providing you're not on a tighter budget. $170-220 USD respectively. Fairly good DAC/headphone amp as well.

ADI-2 PRO FS if you want to spend $2000 - comes with a top of the line DAC and headphone app built into it, EQ, etc.

kaka89

For other people who may be seeking a phono ADC, one solution is the Parasound Zphono USB. It does convert phono inputs into 16/44 digital out via USB, as well as providing a line level output. It also has line level inputs that can be digitized, as well.

16/44 seems on the low side.
Pro-ject Optical Box E Phono can do 24/92.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You can do it without spending a penny using the free program Audacity

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I have Terratec iVinyl ADC with RIAA and capacitance switches. It has only USB out and is no longer available as new.

For editing I use Audacity. Terratec has no high pass filter, so rumble filtering and click removal help a lot!

Top Bottom