• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Affordable Sennheiser Electrostatic (Baby HE 1) Project on Massdrop

caguilar91

Hi guys,

It would be awesome if we could get your support on Massdrop to get a Sennheiser Electrostatic System that doesn't break the bank and sounds incredible, which can be made! Massdrop had already pitched Sennheiser for such a project, but with support from the community it can well become a thing! The HD 58X was also pitched and seemed unlikely to ever happen and it took 3 years for the project to materialize. So please if interested kindly endorse the project which is linked below where you can find more info about it:

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/10100/massdrop-x-sennheiser-he-0-x-electrostatic-system

Many thanks beforehand!

Here's a screenshot of a Collaborator talking about the possibility of the project and how the HD 58X just seemed as unlikely:
89Tg1ZRSMWEcuaJ6zBFg_Screenshot20181008230553.jpeg

Oh, and the green light for making Sennheiser notice:
j8hrDkAETlqcr4D1U0Kh_Screenshot20181014225737.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
caguilar91

caguilar91

Surely this thread needs to be in the desperate dealers section or deleted altogether.

It's just advertising spam as far as I am concerned. :(
I'm unsure where it may go, I get no benefit for this, it's simply a petition for Massdrop and Sennheiser to reconsider (as it was in talks beforehand but hasn't seen the light of day, happened the same with the HD 58X that took a long time but things materialized eventually). So sorry if anyone feels it as advertising spam or if something isn't clear. Hopefully @Thomas savage can help out to sort where it should go! :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If one believes a thread/post to be ad/spam, one may use the Report button.

I don't report posts like a little kid running to the teacher. I just call it, after due consideration, as I see it. We're all adults here.

that's a bit overboard.

The OP states the thread is about a 'petition for MassDrop and Sennheiser to reconsider' and he's actively attempting to drum up support using ASR and its membership for a product to be manufactured.

If that isn't an agenda, I don't know what is.

If that's what the open forums are going to devolve into, I'm disappointed.

OP
caguilar91

caguilar91

I don't report posts like a little kid running to the teacher. I just call it, after due consideration, as I see it. We're all adults here.

The OP states the thread is about a 'petition for MassDrop and Sennheiser to reconsider' and he's actively attempting to drum up support using ASR and its membership for a product to be manufactured.

If that isn't an agenda, I don't know what is.

If that's what the open forums are going to devolve into, I'm disappointed.
I was a bit hesitant to ask for help from the ASR community for the project getting endorsed, and haven't done on any other forum or community. The project at the moment has been endorsed inside Massdrop only, since Oct 8, 2018 when I first called out what Will, from Collaborations on Massdrop, said about the possibility of an HE 60 revival (Musaeus) that was pitched to Sennheiser on a comment under the Massdrop x Koss ESP/95X Electrostatic System discussion until today.

However, no one from Massdrop nor the community had put up the project for getting endorsed publicly. So decided to do so myself even though I'm not much of publishing or writing comments and stuff around the web as I'm mostly a watcher (I don't even upload photos to Instagram, or write stuff on Facebook or Twitter hehe).

My only intention is for the possibility of the project to see the light of the day (just as the HD 58X which I bought on the first drop) as I would really like to see a Sennheiser Electrostatic System (that isn't $55,000) and the odds seem to be that Massdrop is the only way for it to happen in a short or medium term.

Finally, I'm in no way affiliated to Massdrop, nor Sennheiser, just another customer who has bought for example the HD 6XX, HD 58X and THX AAA 789. It's not for profit purposes and it's not for advertising Massdrop and/or Sennheiser so hopefully no one feels this is spam. As you say we're all adults here and in no way I want to harm the ASR community or make people feel this way. Just wish this doesn't become another hate thread like the @March Audio DAC1 with the Khadas Tone Board. Seems there is too much hate at anything as of late here and we need a better world guys. :)

Last edited:

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will pledge my support since I absolutely love good electrostatic headphones, but I think this is a real long shot. Making electrostatic drivers in itself is trivial, it's making them so that they live up to Sennheiser's high standards of unit to unit consistency and ability to stand up to long term usage that they might not be willing to do. With the HD6xx HD58x they have had variations of those drivers going back to the late 1990s.

The HE-1 system is a statement product intended to elevate the brand image, they aren't intending to sell many units of them. I don't think it is intended as a unit to have "trickle down" effects.

The HE90 are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. If I wasn't just a poor med student when Jan Meier secured around 15 of them without amp I would have been all over them. As such when I have some more time I've pretty much relegated myself to trying my hand and building something that measures like the HE90, a couple of people have done it already. The real unusual thing Senn did was build the stators out of glass, something only a company their size could ever do and nothing any DIY'er could attempt.

Last edited:
OP
caguilar91

caguilar91

I will pledge my support since I absolutely love good electrostatic headphones, but I think this is a real long shot. Making electrostatic drivers in itself is trivial, it's making them so that they live up to Sennheiser's high standards of unit to unit consistency and ability to stand up to long term usage that they might not be willing to do. With the HD6xx HD58x they have had variations of those drivers going back to the late 1990s.

The HE-1 system is a statement product intended to elevate the brand image, they aren't intending to sell many units of them. I don't think it is intended as a unit to have "trickle down" effects.

The HE90 are the best sounding headphones I've ever heard. If I wasn't just a poor med student when Jan Meier secured around 15 of them without amp I would have been all over them. As such when I have some more time I've pretty much relegated myself to trying my hand and building something that measures like the HE90, a couple of people have done it already. The real unusual thing Senn did was build the stators out of glass, something only a company their size could ever do and nothing any DIY'er could attempt.
The idea comes from the HE 60 that was sold at the beginning of the 2000s, which was a good electrostatic but the energizer however was the weakest link. So hopefully a better energizer, some better electrostatic drivers (at least same or better than the HE 60) and a price under $1000 is still possible as was with the original HE 60. :)

Top Bottom