• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Affordable complete setup for clean reggae/dub at high volume?

Richdw

Hi All,

Basic description:
Wanted - complete setup recommendations.
Inputs - TV, laptop 3.5mm, BT, CCA
Room - 8x5m
Music - LOUD reggae, dub, funk, soul etc.
Total budget - £500

Longer description:
A friend is asking me for recommendations for a new hifi. He is a huge fan of reggae, dub, roots, funk, jazz, soul, etc. He like his music loud and I want to recommend him a system that will produce good smounts of undistorted bass. Room size approx 5m x 8m. Sources are a laptop and tv. He wants to spend maximum £500, but ideally less.

Should I be pointing him towards:

1. A hefty stereo integrated amp and big passive floorstanders.

2. Smaller bookshelf mains + a sub.

3.An active setup of studio monitors or similar powered hifi speakers, with or without a separate sub, that can produce good SPL of undistorted bass.

4. An AVR system? I'm concerned that AVR gear within budget will not measure well, but feel free to suggest things if I'm wrong.

Comments:
I've been impressed by recent reviews of Adam and JBL studio monitors and like the idea of them for home hifi applications from the perspective of value and not needing a separate amp. However, I want to keep my recommendations simple regarding wiring, and powering on/off. I'm also concerned whether active monitors can produce enough power, particularly regarding bass, in the 5x8m room and, if needed, whether a sub would be withon budget and easy to integrate.

Recommendations of new OR commonly available, well-measured, used gear would be really helpful. I appreciate that loud, clean, simple, and cheap are challenging to combine, but this forum is a powerhouse of informed audio wisdom, so I'm sure some of you will have good ideas.

A setup that looks stylish is also important. My friend is Italian, and his gitlfriend is Faroese, so despite being in Cornwall, this system must meet the needs of Scandinavian and Italian tastes!

Any tips welcome :)

Many thanks,
Richard

UCrazyKid

It sounds like what he is looking for is a PA.

Top Bottom