• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Affordable Accuracy Monitor Review

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking of trying to do this to get a better understanding of DSP and crossovers. Has anybody done this?

I've been wanting to try that too, had thought to first replicate the frequency response of the filters digitally, then adjust phasing until I get smoothest transition between drivers but I don't know if that's the best way to go about it?

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Can't help but think the R162 at $160/pr when onsale cries for a full bi-amp DSP approach - crossover replacement and adjustment/PEQ to reduce the brightness and reduce distortion. If I understand amir's review and comments, there is no need to replace either driver..

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Hi Dennis, I'm interested in those Bennic BMR's in Taiwan. I'm in Asia, though not in Taiwan, and shipping from Meniscus is an arm and a leg. Any chance I can purchase a kit from your business partner? How should I be going out to reach out to them? Tried searching online but can't find them... Thanks!
I'll have to talk this over with my business partner. I'm not sure he'll want to get involved in international shipping. He lives in Virginia and probably has things automated, but I will discuss it with him.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements are good and It's dirt cheap, but the 4" mid/low driver limits output. A decent choice for a budget desktop system, especially if one has an extra amplifier sitting around.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Dang, now knowing that there's a "BMR 2" on the way puts my plans on making the flat-pack BMR 1 on hold!

Someone needs to get theirs to Amir for testing. The hype is real.
If I do decide to launch a Purifi version of the BMR, it will be way more expensive than the current kit version. So I'm not expecting it to be a big seller.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Can't help but think the R162 at $160/pr when onsale cries for a full bi-amp DSP approach - crossover replacement and adjustment/PEQ to reduce the brightness and reduce distortion. If I understand amir's review and comments, there is no need to replace either driver..

Why bother with all that when you can easilly EQ it the way it is to get this response (LW in blue, PIR in green):

Capture.JPG

KEW

Forum Donor
Hey @Dennis Murphy ,
A little bit of a non-sequitur, but I was curious about whether the conversion of an original DA BR-1 AA to the newer Morel BR-1 AA was a viable "idiot-level" DIY mod. If it is a matter of swapping out a tweeter, I'll order the Morels today! However, if it requires substantial surgery on the crossover, I'll stick with what I have!
Cheers!
Kurt

Haint

If I do decide to launch a Purifi version of the BMR, it will be way more expensive than the current kit version. So I'm not expecting it to be a big seller.

I think you mentioned a BMR Mini? Does your partner intend to sell that in the US, and if so, what ballpark on pricing would you expect?

Jukebox

There are more expensive speakers offering less sound and selling just fine. Sure marketing, fake reviews and the company's name sells a lot more than science and measurements but you will still have a strong market to address.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I was thinking of doing the BS22 modification exactly, except using a DSP-based cross-over instead.
Which DSP/amp option did you have in mind? The BeoCreate is all in one and reasonably well documented, but perhaps a bit expensive. The DAC+ DSP is similarly documented but would need an extra DAC out plus power amps. The Sure/Wondom/Dayton JAB3 boards or standalone DSP are cheaper but no so well documented for DIY. 3E have a DSP board too. Any other good options?

maty

Major Contributor
... I had much better luck dealing with Bennic for the Chinese cabinets I used in the most recent BMR's, and they've become much more flexible and eager for business since the tariffs and the virus left their mark. My business partner is currently selling Bennic BMR's in Taiwan, and will soon offer a mini I just designed. Hopefully I'll be able to get the BMR's back into the domestic market in the not-too-distant future.

2019 Philharmonic Audio BMR with Salksound cabinet + Bennic crossover

A lot of pictures: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bmr-philharmonitor-1

Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Hey @Dennis Murphy ,
A little bit of a non-sequitur, but I was curious about whether the conversion of an original DA BR-1 AA to the newer Morel BR-1 AA was a viable "idiot-level" DIY mod. If it is a matter of swapping out a tweeter, I'll order the Morels today! However, if it requires substantial surgery on the crossover, I'll stick with what I have!
Cheers!
Kurt
It's major surgery--a completely new crossover.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I think you mentioned a BMR Mini? Does your partner intend to sell that in the US, and if so, what ballpark on pricing would you expect?
It's not part of the BMR family. Just a little 2-way using an SB Acoustics 5" ceramic woofer and an OEM Aurum Cantus AMT tweet. But I don't want to promote anything here. If I decide to make it available, I'll post details on my site. Of more general interest to DIY folk, all of the SB Ceramic woofers are terrific and an absolute steal. They go way lower than you would expect and are perfectly smooth in the critical 1 khz - 2 kHz range. The trade-off is low sensitivity, but you can get around that by using the 4 ohm version or two 8 ohms in parallel. If only the routing of the BS22 cabinet were a little larger, I would offer a kit using the 4" ceramic.

GelbeMusik

I was thinking of doing the BS22 modification exactly, except using a DSP-based cross-over instead.

:facepalm: in case You have a dsp based crossover, and a microphone, what hinders You to DIY?! You could make it as smooth as a peaches skin, while still adjusting it to Your dsp driven auditorium :cool:

The box sports a tiny 4" driver, which poor little warrior is used for bass. That guy is even smaller (half, by surface) than the infamous LS3/5 from BBC, which originally was meant to serve as a (speech) monitor in little caravans for field recording. Sounded like this:

Some guys took it as their audiophile nirvana, because (barely) affordable but certified (by BBC, see above). Do I see history repeating?

Ehm, it is said to have "preference" of 8/10 with subwoofer. But how far could this 4" tweeter speak up at 80Hz, if we think of a real "sub" instead a supporting bass in a three-way? I personally wouldn't consider this fine paper cone for lower than, say 500Hz ... because of my compromised hearing of course.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The measurements are good and It's dirt cheap, but the 4" mid/low driver limits output. A decent choice for a budget desktop system, especially if one has an extra amplifier sitting around.

You certainly have a gift for understatement.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not part of the BMR family. Just a little 2-way using an SB Acoustics 5" ceramic woofer and an OEM Aurum Cantus AMT tweet. But I don't want to promote anything here. If I decide to make it available, I'll post details on my site. Of more general interest to DIY folk, all of the SB Ceramic woofers are terrific and an absolute steal. They go way lower than you would expect and are perfectly smooth in the critical 1 khz - 2 kHz range. The trade-off is low sensitivity, but you can get around that by using the 4 ohm version or two 8 ohms in parallel. If only the routing of the BS22 cabinet were a little larger, I would offer a kit using the 4" ceramic.

Which tweeters would you consider pairing with the 4" SB Acoustics ceramic woofer?

mt196

Guys can you help me in finding which is the original woofer used in the pioneer? I found the tweeter used in the mod for 40$ the pair and I wanted to try building these speakers from scratch, I also found the electrical scheme of the crossover so now I just need to know which is the woofer model, can you help me?

Top Bottom