• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AES Paper Digest: Do Audio Op-amps Sound Different?

Johnny2Bad

I seriously doubt you do. For more info check this article: http://www.roger-russell.com/hearing/hearing.htm

However, in case you really do hear 17 kHz at age of 60 I strongly advise you stay away from kryptonite. :D

Interesting reading, but I thought maybe some actual test tones would be in order. After all, it's a grave argumentative fallacy to assume "average = everybody".

So I Googled "17KHz test tone" to see if a quick refresher would tell me anything.

It has been about 18 months since I had my last hearing test at an audiologist (you get 500 free AirMiles here in Canada if you take the test at specific hearing aid retailers, they're worth a dime each in airfare or merchandise. Hey, it's $5 for something I do and have done every couple of years regardless).

I also don't need my arms lengthened to read 4 point type on my vitamin bottle. Maybe I should stay away from Kryptonite. I take an annual vision test (last one Nov 17) because due to other health issues my drivers license is dependent on passing an annual medical, just like a Pilot's License. Last one was 20:20 left and 20:15 right. My career relied on excellent vision and specialized eyewear not readily available in prescription form, and as far as that aspect goes, I could still be doing it (I'm retired now) so that isn't so surprising.

I could easily hear this one, on my laptop speakers although I had to put my ear directly above them, I don't think response at 17K is part of their DNA. With headphones (AKG K142) it was much easier and much higher in level. I set level with a 1KHz tone I had as an AIFF/WAV 24/96 file first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom