• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AES/EBU vs Analog XLR Input

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am considering purchasing a pair of Genelec (8351B or 8361A) speakers based upon recent reviews by @amirm. I note that these speakers have both digital AES/EBU and analog XLR inputs. I am wondering if there are any inherent advantages or disadvantages toward using one input over the other?

I assume the analog XLR input is converted through an ADC to the digital domain for DSP then back through a DAC to the analog domain to feed the internal amplifiers. I also assume the digital AES/EBU input bypasses the ADC and is fed directly into the DSP section then through a DAC to the amplifiers. Is my understanding correct?

So in my system to use the analog input my chain would look like this:
piCorePlayer --> USB --> DAC --> XLR --> Genelec analog XLR input
and for digital:
piCorePlayer AES/EBU "hat" --> XLR --> Genelec digital AES/EBU input

For the analog chain I could control volume via piCorePlayer, the DAC or a preamplifier. I would likely use a preamplifier to also connect an analog source. For the digital chain I assume I would have to use piCorePlayer to control the volume.

Does all this sound correct? Any pros or cons to either setup?

Thanks,
Martin

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I assume the analog XLR input is converted through an ADC to the digital domain for DSP then back through a DAC to the analog domain to feed the internal amplifiers. I also assume the digital AES/EBU input bypasses the ADC and is fed directly into the DSP section then through a DAC to the amplifiers. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
Martin
Yes, that is correct. In addition, the digital AES/EBU input may go through a sample rate conversion depending on the requirements of the active speakers.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the number of responses I have received I assume there is no preference for one input over the other…

One other question: When using the digital AES/EBU input would I daisy chain the speakers?

I.e.: AES/EBU hat —> XLR —> speaker 1 digital in | speaker 1 digital thru —> XLR —> speaker 2 digital in

Thanks,
Martin

Tangband

Major Contributor
From the number of responses I have received I assume there is no preference for one input over the other…

One other question: When using the digital AES/EBU input would I daisy chain the speakers?

I.e.: AES/EBU hat —> XLR —> speaker 1 digital in | speaker 1 digital thru —> XLR —> speaker 2 digital in

Thanks,
Martin
The sound gets better with a good digital spdif or AES signal to Genelecs , yes .
Inside each Genelec monitor , at the AES input , there is a transformer for galvanic isolation and a sample rate converter .

Cheaper SAM Genelecs have 48 KHz sampling A/D and more expensive ones 96 KHz .

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I.e.: AES/EBU hat —> XLR —> speaker 1 digital in —> speaker 1 digital thru —> XLR —> speaker 2 digital in

Yes. The speaker should have a dip switch or something to select which channel from the AES input it will play.

From the number of responses i have received I assume there is no preference for one input over the other…

IMO an important consideration with feeding digital signals into such a powerful active monitor is the chance of something flaking out and setting the volume to maximum. The stability of a single purpose/dedicated Linux music appliance should be better than a typical multi function device, but personally I would insist on some kind of hardware volume control external from the player software.

That's easiest if you go analog as you can just use a DAC with volume control or a standard preamp. The RME ADI-2 Pro has an AES output which is volume controlled. Lake People have what is essentially a digital preamp. Since you're going specifically with Genelecs, they have a couple options to control the volume in each speaker digitally via GLM if you buy the kit and keep the control ethernet cables hooked up all the time.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
The RME ADI-2 Pro has an AES output which is volume controlled.
The AES out is not volume controlled on that unit - I have one. I wish it was though.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Controling the volume with GLM is the best option, soundwise . This is also what Genelec recommends. The digital regulation is that way done after the dsp crossover .
But you can get really close , and better than analog, if you use GLM to lower the volume to -30 dB internally and saved into the speaker and use an external digital source with digital volume regulation such as a xu208 using 24 bit resolution and dithering .

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AES out is not volume controlled on that unit - I have one. I wish it was though.

Really? The manual makes it sound like it can.

MeJCa3K.png

Lambda

Major Contributor
hang on a minute, did someone on an internet forum just admit to being wrong. i think we all need to take a minute to realise the importance of this event.
i was thinking the same thing. :p
Specially on this forum i hear his almost never so good jobdfuller

This is what i would do and what gives you best performance.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it petty to be a little bit pissed off that one has to spend $100-$150 just for a digital-to-digital impedance converter in order to connect most common equipment to the Genelecs' digital input? :)

Tangband

Major Contributor
i was thinking the same thing. :p
Specially on this forum i hear his almost never so good jobdfuller

This is what i would do and what gives you best performance.
Good suggestion with this AES hat from audiophonics. If using a computer as source, and less than 8 metres to the first Genelec monitor input, the Douk U2 is also good sounding. I have one and it works flawless with Mac . A small sound improvement compared to Yamaha wxc50 and digital out. Further small improvements can be had with even better USB bridges.
Dont go analog with these fine monitors.:)

Last edited:

lewis

I would like to connect my 8330 monitors and 7350 sub digitally using the ASE-EBU cables.

The question is. Do I connect to the sub first and then out to the monitors or the monitors first and then the sub?

Is it important in what order I connect from the interface?

Thanks, Lewis.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I would like to connect my 8330 monitors and 7350 sub digitally using the ASE-EBU cables.

The question is. Do I connect to the sub first and then out to the monitors or the monitors first and then the sub?

Is it important in what order I connect from the interface?

Thanks, Lewis.
No, the order should not matter. Each device will act as a pass thru to the next.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There's also some 3rd party code to control volume and some other properties via GLM. I'm not sure how easy it would be to integrate with piCorePlayer though - I'd guess relatively easy to trigger from IR remote buttons, but harder to integrate with the LMS volume control.
https://github.com/markbergsma/genlc

Top Bottom