• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AES/EBU vs Analog XLR Input

Tangband

Major Contributor
I would like to connect my 8330 monitors and 7350 sub digitally using the ASE-EBU cables.

The question is. Do I connect to the sub first and then out to the monitors or the monitors first and then the sub?

Is it important in what order I connect from the interface?

Thanks, Lewis.
I dont know if it soundwise is a difference. I dont have a GLM subwoofer, only two monitors. But I would try different options to see if some route would be preferable. The human hearing is least sensitive to the quality of low frequencies, like a subwoofer, so maybe putting the subwoofer last in the chain is preferable ?

I know, its only ones and zeros, but at the same time its spdif/AES and thats sensitive to jitter.
Daisy chaining the AES signal with 3 GLM units might be like 10 metres of digital cable .

There is a sample rate converter inside all GLM monitors, making them less sensitive for jitter I guess, but my own experiments with good clocking in separate USB bridges before the digital input on Genelec monitors, still makes a certain difference.

Maybe someone who has a Genelec GLM subwoofer and have tried different routing can comment on this ?

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
I'm considering getting some Genelecs as well but I don't really have any interest in using GLM. I was thinking of something like the SHD/SHD Studio and using DIRAC, or simply controlling everything from a dedicated PC with my own manual EQ/convolution. For the hefty price, it's honestly time these things had their own USB inputs, no excuse for not having that in this day and age.

Would the ADI-2 FS work as a front end to the Genelecs too? Says it has AES-3 out? I like the matrix option because of the cost and simplicity, but would like a headphone out too without having to add more gear. Having the analog outs might be useful for subs vs. the Matrix (If you are running non-genelec GLM subs).

Trell

Major Contributor
Would the ADI-2 FS work as a front end to the Genelecs too? Says it has AES-3 out? I like the matrix option because of the cost and simplicity, but would like a headphone out too without having to add more gear. Having the analog outs might be useful for subs vs. the Matrix (If you are running non-genelec GLM subs).
The ADI-2 FS has no USB input, though, and you must use GLM to change volume unless you can do that from the source.

The ADI-2 FS has no USB input, though, and you must use GLM to change volume unless you can do that from the source.
Ah good call—well that won’t work. I think the Matrix+GLM wired volume control looks like the right solution.

Tom C

Major Contributor
MiniDSP Solution

I just got one of these for Christmas, so I haven’t had a chance to set it up yet. Got the tip from @jhaider . I‘m in USA, don’t know how easy or hard it is for you to get your hands on this, but it’s one of the more affordable solutions for multichannel here in my country.
RME makes a multichannel pcie card with 16 channels, but it gets pricey, about US$1,200. Lynx has similar for a bit less.

Gene LeClair

I'm in the same camp, ended up ordering a pair of 8351B. I'm planning to go with the digital inputs.

My personal preference is to stream Bluetooth from my phone because of the extreme convenience. Being able to change songs and control volume from anywhere in the apartment is super handy and I can even do it with my watch!

I haven't noticed any issues with sound quality with my current DAC. Makes me think that a good Bluetooth device can be just as good as USB nowdays.

So once I get to set up "The Ones", I'll be using a Bluetooth receiver with coax output into Genelecs AES input. Here's a couple of devices I've found:

Fiio BTA30 PRO:
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphone/dp/B08LM68KN8
It has a DAC, which isn't necessary. It doesn't have AES output, but coax is just fine. It also supports LDAC codec, which I think is a must.

Digital Interface USB Amanero:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...es-spdif-i2s-32bit-192khz-dop128-p-14869.html
This one has AES output, which is nice. And it doesn't have a DAC, which I see as a plus, since I won't be needing it. But it lacks the LDAC codec, which is a pity.

Unfortunately neither device has been reviewed in this forum. I wonder if anyone has any experience with them?

Top Bottom