• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[AES] Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=21109

Cable Pathways Between Audio Components Can Affect Perceived Sound Quality

This work shows that two system configurations differing only by the interconnect pathway are audibly discernable even by average listeners with no special experience in music or audio. To the author’s knowl- edge this may represent the smallest change in an audio sys- tem proven to be discernable through IRB-approved blind listening tests.

This work did not conduct an exhaustive determination of all possible physical causes of sonic differences in intercon- nects. For example time-domain effects such as reflections were not studied because a balanced cable requires a dif- ferential amplifier and extra cable (both adding their own noise and distortions) before an oscilloscope.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One of the cables- interconnect B- they used looks really noise susceptible. So, yeah, you can hear noise. I think we already knew that.

Cable B has more noise in the audible range. You can hear noise in the audible range. although the scaling of these charts appears to be purposely designed to obscure that and focus on RFI.

I think the RFI is superfluous unless the electronics used were susceptible to instability caused by RFI. (Good audio gear is designed to reject RFI )

noise.png

Geoffkait

Not to mention that flipping the direction of any cable is easily audible to the casual listener, even in a sanctioned blind test. Note to self: Gee, the cable controversy just may go on forever.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Yea right the guy whos comparing a ballanced system to an unbalanced system and thinks the cables make the difference. The ballanced cable is 1/4 the lenght, and what a surprise, the ballanced system has less noise, just stupid.

Last edited:

Geoffkait

I’m new here and so you won’t think I’m a troll I’m referring to cable directionality, I.e., the audio principle that all wire sounds better in one direction vs the other. Directionality of cables can be controlled during manufacturing and many high end companies do this. So, audiophiles have been finding out speaker cables are directional, as are interconnects, HDMI cables, power cords, fuses, whether the circuit is DC or AC.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m new here and so you won’t think I’m a troll I’m referring to cable directionality, I.e., the audio principle that all wire sounds better in one direction vs the other. Directionality of cables can be controlled during manufacturing and many high end companies do this. So, audiophiles have been finding out speaker cables are directional, as are interconnects, HDMI cables, power cords, fuses, whether the circuit is DC or AC.
Uh huh!

Veri

Master Contributor
I’m new here and so you won’t think I’m a troll I’m referring to cable directionality, I.e., the audio principle that all wire sounds better in one direction vs the other. Directionality of cables can be controlled during manufacturing and many high end companies do this.
Whaaaaat :oops:o_O:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you might have taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom