• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aeon 2 Noire channel imbalance, crackling, and passive electronics

icey.seri

So I got an Aeon 2 Noire at canjam a couple months back, and recently, I've been noticing some channel imbalance with the right cup, where it'd be about 4, 5 decibels softer than the right. But I decided against going with an RMA immediately since I'd already RMA'd the original unit for mechanical issues. Interesting thing is, is that the channel imbalance comes and goes, after running some tests, I've discovered the following. Going to a loud volume, around 10db over what is considered a relatively loud listening volume, will result in a slight crackle in the right channel, and then going back down to a normal volume would fix the imbalance for some time. Also, when it has the channel imbalance, playing at the bass hump frequencies, 100-150Hz will result in buzzing in the right channel. I'm guessing this all but confirms that they are using passive electronics to achieve the bump in the lower? midbass. Have you guys found anything similar?

Blockader

So I got an Aeon 2 Noire at canjam a couple months back, and recently, I've been noticing some channel imbalance with the right cup, where it'd be about 4, 5 decibels softer than the right. But I decided against going with an RMA immediately since I'd already RMA'd the original unit for mechanical issues. Interesting thing is, is that the channel imbalance comes and goes, after running some tests, I've discovered the following. Going to a loud volume, around 10db over what is considered a relatively loud listening volume, will result in a slight crackle in the right channel, and then going back down to a normal volume would fix the imbalance for some time. Also, when it has the channel imbalance, playing at the bass hump frequencies, 100-150Hz will result in buzzing in the right channel. I'm guessing this all but confirms that they are using passive electronics to achieve the bump in the lower? midbass. Have you guys found anything similar?
are you sure it's not your volume knob introducing the channel imbalance?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You sure it's not digital clipping? Are using PEQ? Enough negativ gain?

OP
I

icey.seri

You sure it's not digital clipping? Are using PEQ? Enough negativ gain?
-3db base headroom and volume levelling to -14dbfs in roon, probably not that, also that roon doesn't show anything intersample overs

Blake

Interesting. I had the same problem in my Aeon RT Closed recently, minus the buzzing. It was even the same side (right) with the issue. I had them serviced by DCA (still in warranty, thank goodness), and they're fine now. Actually, I could be wrong, but in my memory the ear cups were slightly lighter in color than what I got back, so I'm not sure they didn't just replace them. Either way, they're great now. I sure hope they continue to last because I love them.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like a dirty /improperly connected /broken right connector or socket.

OP
I

icey.seri

i'll try cleaning it out, but i'm not too sure that this is the case, worst case I'll have to RMA, though I feel like it'd be awkward to explain channel imbalance

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had the same problem, wrote directly to Dan, he directed me to the local distributor and they replaced both drivers without questions, seems fine now

OP
I

icey.seri

I had the same problem, wrote directly to Dan, he directed me to the local distributor and they replaced both drivers without questions, seems fine now
My previous RMA was with the local distributor, It's just that I'd prefer not to, since their exchange location is quite far from my house

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My previous RMA was with the local distributor, It's just that I'd prefer not to, since their exchange location is quite far from my house
I'm just saying that drivers qualify for a replacement, I don't know how you want to do it any other way, even Dan didn't suggest problems with a cable or anything so it must be happening quite often

Last edited:
OP
I

icey.seri

Socket looks fine on inspection, though it's pretty hard with the hirose connector, either way, it reoccurs with other cables so I doubt that connections are the issue. Going to go in with isopropyl alcohol and give it a try

OP
I

icey.seri

well they strongly hinted that they wouldn't want to do the RMA since i already did one for the mechanical issue, but I'm not sure if that would be the retailer talking or Dan Clark Audio talking. Considering my next course of action since the occasional imbalance is getting pretty annoying, since if it was permanent i could just attenuate the left channel

paudio

My Noires has an imbalance bad enough to shift center image so they replaced the drivers under warranty. Also the rigid plastic ring under the adhesive in one earpad wasn't flat causing a bad seal on one side which they also replaced. They sound awesome now.

You're pair seems to have an assembly, connection/soldering or some sort of driver issue. DCA support was really good to me. They stand by their product. I would get them to have a look.

I would shine a flashlight into each cup and check around the edge of the earpad for light leakage. If there is leakage you can remove the earpad, use isopropyl alcohol with a cloth to renew the adhesive (Instructions in the official manual) and re-adhere it to the cup. This could help with any channel imbalance especially in lower frequencies.

Music1969

Major Contributor

I picked up a used pair and found the same.

Its still under warranty.

Last edited:

Soulsound

I have an Aeon 2 Closed and that's exactly what happens to mine, but on the left side. I saw reports of similar cases on reddit, i bought it used and dca doesn't have local distributors in my country, not to mention that the repair and shipping cost wouldn't be worth it.

well they strongly hinted that they wouldn't want to do the RMA since i already did one for the mechanical issue, but I'm not sure if that would be the retailer talking or Dan Clark Audio talking. Considering my next course of action since the occasional imbalance is getting pretty annoying, since if it was permanent i could just attenuate the left channel

This is annoying for sure, in my case i decided to "live with it" since i only have to raise the volume once for it to return to normal and the rma process would be expensive.

I hope you can solve your problem.

OP
I

icey.seri

I have an Aeon 2 Closed and that's exactly what happens to mine, but on the left side. I saw reports of similar cases on reddit, i bought it used and dca doesn't have local distributors in my country, not to mention that the repair and shipping cost wouldn't be worth it.

This is annoying for sure, in my case i decided to "live with it" since i only have to raise the volume once for it to return to normal and the rma process would be expensive.

I hope you can solve your problem.
mine got replaced, but before that it devolved to full on vibrating distortion. I think DCA covers returns so if yours ever degrades to an unusable extent, you could think about shipping it again.

Soulsound

Just an update:

Solved mine's problem after i opened it and sprayed some wd40 on the connector that connects the wires to the jack. I don't know about other models but in this one, dca strangely doesn't solder the wires directly to the headphone jack, instead it uses a type of connector which i believe was causing poor contact.

Since then the problem has completely gone, no more cranking the volume to return normal, no more imbalance issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom