• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aeon 2 closed

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Does anyone have these? I'm looking into purchasing a pair and I'm on the fence. I have the focal elegia currently but that's it as far as high-end headphones.

Has anyone heard and compared both of these or at least just the a2c? I would like to hear your opinion on them.

SpinifexV

I recently bought the Aeon Closed RT. I know it's not the same model, but I must say that I greatly enjoy my new headphone, and the 2 is supposedly much better.

What I like:
- Natural, detailed sound.
- Doesn't sound boxed in like most closed headphones, which by itself is remarkable.
- Pretty light and comfortable, for a planar.
- Great looks and build quality.

Dislike:
- The pads are too warm and sweat inducing. I don't like Pleather, which is why I ordered a new pair of Hybrids from Dekoni through Massdrop.

I wanted a good closed heaphone, and I found a great one! My lineup is now the Koss ESP/95x (with new pads) and the Aeon Flow Closed RT for critical listening and at the PC, the HD600 for the TV when I need it, and the k361 at the office.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I bought the Aeon 2 Closed and returned them. Nice sound, but I didn't like the construction or the way they sat on my head.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think they are one of the better closed headphones available, but you Elegia is already pretty good too.

The Elegia is darker, but both would benefit from EQ. Both have good soundstage for closed headphones and both lack the typical "closed" headphone coloration.

Personally I find them very comfortable. They are very light for a planar, and doubly so for a closed planar. Potential downsides - the pleather pads can get a little warm and the stock cable is too stiff. I don't remember the focal cables being particularly supple though either

It has almost IEM level isolation as well.

Veri

Master Contributor
I bought the Aeon 2 Closed and returned them. Nice sound, but I didn't like the construction or the way they sat on my head.
Wow, really? So many people claim they are super comfy. Hmmmm :D I auditioned AFC v1 in store once and they sat all right on my head, from memory. Quite interested in Aeon 2 since looking at oratory1990's measurements of it.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Wow, really? So many people claim they are super comfy. Hmmmm :D I auditioned AFC v1 in store once and they sat all right on my head, from memory. Quite interested in Aeon 2 since looking at oratory1990's measurements of it.
Every time I folded and unfolded them I felt like I had to be super careful. And I had to adjust the strap a lot until it sat right. The cups themselves weren't small, but the drivers felt too close to my ears. So all in all kind of uncomfortable.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Every time I folded and unfolded them I felt like I had to be super careful. And I had to adjust the strap a lot until it sat right. The cups themselves weren't small, but the drivers felt too close to my ears. So all in all kind of uncomfortable.

They are super comfortable to me, I think it's down to ear shape. I do want to point out most full size headphones do not fold, so not really fair to criticize it base on needing to adjust. As you do not need to readjust the strap every time you put it on, just after you fold it.

Sound wise, need some eq to open up the sound in upper mid, otherwise sounds very good for the price range. Noise isolation is great as well.

The issue I have is the left and right pad does not have same softness, one side would deform more than the other when they are on my head. So QC is not up to par with major brands like Sennheiser. Overall it doesn't really affect the sound though.

phrosty

Forum Donor
I love the build and comfort of my AFC. I look forward to hearing the Aeon 2 as I hear he did some mods that affect soundstage.

Veri

Master Contributor
Some day I'm going to get an AFC 2 for myself. The only thing holding me back is its gaudy looks for use at work. I already look silly with my Sines :D

fljoe

Any good portable headphone amps to drive these while on-the-go?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a shame. The Dekoni ones would be more comfy. The pleather pads being sweaty is really its biggest weakness.

Top Bottom