• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AE1 Active, lost my female XLR input

Kaspers

After speaker replacement and re-plugging my XLR cable, I lost my XLR input terminal (female). See photo below. I'm not sure which screws to unscrew to get access to the internals, so I'm wondering; is there any service manual available? (as I don't want to mess things up..)

22-06-11 16-42-08 1111.jpg

novice

Looks like an easy fix to me. With the unit unplugged and in the same position it's in now, remove the (8) Allen bolts around the plate perimeter. Then, with your hand supporting the plate, tip it over and let the plate slowly drop out. If it doesn't, it's likely stuck to the gasket and you made need to use a pick tool in one of the Allen bolt holes to gently pry it loose. You can also support the back at the top & bottom on 1" thick paperback books so the plate is facing down on your table. In a little while gravity will pull it free. My guess is the small screw(s) that hold the XLR socket inside the shell loosened up and dropped out. Find them, reinstall, and put the plate back in. There is little that can go wrong if you take your time. However if you discover the XLR shell/socket are plastic and broken, the socket will need replacement and that may require soldering & fabrication if an exact XLR cannot be located.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaspers

Thanks @novice, went ahead with your instructions. Removed those 8 bolts; but the backplate doesn't move a single bit. Will try prying around a bit; are we sure those bolts in the middle don't need to bee loosened?

22-06-11 18-47-30 1112.jpg

novice

That would be unusual but not out of the question. Before you remove it try letting gravity work. after a day you should see some movement if nothing else is holding the plate in. Perhaps that is the center bolt? The bottom 2 are likely holding the transformer to the plate.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks @novice, went ahead with your instructions. Removed those 8 bolts; but the backplate doesn't move a single bit. Will try prying around a bit; are we sure those bolts in the middle don't need to bee loosened?

View attachment 212221
I've seen the plate amps get really stuck to the gasket, it can take a little elbow grease, work the loosest corner.

OP
K

Kaspers

Thanks @novice @Everett T, some elbow grease did the magic indeed . Removed the XLR socket, I’m not going to resolder it to the pcb. I’ll use RCA cables instead; I’m pretty sure I won’t hear any difference.

Last edited:

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks @novice , some elbow grease did the magic indeed . Removed the XLR socket, I’m not going to resolder it to the pcb. I’ll use RCA cables instead; I’m pretty sure I won’t hear any difference.
Yes thanks Everett. They do make solderless connectors fwiw. I prefer them (neutrik) as they standup to any abuse a little better then rca, also there may be a gain mismatch.

raindance

Major Contributor
Thanks @novice , some elbow grease did the magic indeed . Removed the XLR socket, I’m not going to resolder it to the pcb. I’ll use RCA cables instead; I’m pretty sure I won’t hear any difference.
What's your opinion on the sound of these speakers? Any measurements to share?

OP
K

Kaspers

What's your opinion on the sound of these speakers? Any measurements to share?
Well I have to admit you're asking the wrong person. I'm not able to do measurements for you. But with my mediocre audio experience I have, I'm amazed of the impressive sound these little speakers produce. They're hooked up to a miniDSP SHD. My other reference setup is a Cambridge Audio CXA60 connected to a pair of Monitor Audio RX2; but these AE1 Active speakers are definitely a level higher.

panther

Just as an aside looking at the black finish, do you find them to be dust magnets? I am trying to decide on a finish and wondering if I should go black or walnut. White is what my kids want and I think would probably notice the dust the least.

OP
K

Kaspers

Just as an aside looking at the black finish, do you find them to be dust magnets? I am trying to decide on a finish and wondering if I should go black or walnut. White is what my kids want and I think would probably notice the dust the least.
Surely agree about that. Yes, they do attract dust. Once in a while I wipe it off with a cloth. You won’t have this problem with the white finish indeed.

Top Bottom