• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advises for dac/amp or dac+amp combo for DT990 Pro?

ron46

Hello! I have DT 990 Pro Headphones connected to FX-Audio Dac-X6, but i would like to upgrade to a better dac/amp, what do you advise? Budget max 200/250 euros
Could you give me a few options, since i want to buy it from amazon.it and a lot of dac/amp aren't available there.
Thanks in advance and sorry for grammatical errors.

Budgeter

OP
R

ron46

Your better off replacing the DT990, for better over all audio quality, instead of replacing the DAC-X6.
Seriously? I always thought that they were good headphones, what would you advise as a replace? If it's possible multiple options cause i want to buy from amazon.it and not everything is available. Maybe a combo of 300 euro headphones + dac/amp? (Something comfortable, i have glasses if it can help you in any way)
Otherwise what dac/amp for the 990s pro?
Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Karol

Budgeter

Seriously? I always thought that they were good headphones, what would you advise as a replace? If it's possible multiple options cause i want to buy from amazon.it and not everything is available. Maybe a combo of 300 euro headphones + dac/amp? (Something comfortable, i have glasses if it can help you in any way)
Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Karol
If you like your current headphones, then there is no need to waste another 300 euro, unless you really want to try something new. Look at my signature, it includes my current setups, and that's also my recommendation.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks in advance!
Greetings,
Karol
The DT990 has a strong bass/treble, which overshadows the mids. but the mids are clear
I own the DT990 250-Ohm and DT990 600-Ohm, which I liked fine when I bought them, the 600-Ohm DT990 is good for plugging into receiver and watching action Blu-ray movies, movie theater like sound.
But I'm more into a audio detailed, balanced audio and controlled bass, DT990 bass is more about loudness.
Currently my preferred headphone is the Takstar HF 580 planar headphone.
But if you like the DT990, I would say to get the Schiit Fulla 3 ($100) DAC/amp, that about as much as I would spend to drive the DT990 250-Ohm.

OP
R

ron46

The DT990 has a strong bass/treble, which overshadows the mids. but the mids are clear
I own the DT990 250-Ohm and DT990 600-Ohm, which I liked fine when I bought them, the 600-Ohm DT990 is good for plugging into receiver and watching action Blu-ray movies, movie theater like sound.
But I'm more into a audio detailed, balanced audio and controlled bass, DT990 bass is more about loudness.
Currently my preferred headphone is the Takstar HF 580 planar headphone.
But if you like the DT990, I would say to get the Schiit Fulla 3 ($100) DAC/amp, that about as much as I would spend to drive the DT990 250-Ohm.
Oh ok thanks, i don't know if it changes any of what you wrote, but i mostly use them for gaming, and less to listen music.
You would spend that amount cause there aren't changes with a superior product or what?
Do you know if the topping nx4 is good? Cause the schiit isn't available on amazon, while the topping is, so if it doesn't satisfie my ears or just don't make a lot of difference from the fx audio i can return it back without problems, thing that i cant do from the schiit shop.

Is there maybe a better combo for my uses instead of the 990 pro + the schiit?
And are the hifiman he400i good? Maybe there is a better combo with those headphones? (if they are good)
Thanks, and sorry for the bad english :):facepalm:

OP
R

ron46

If you like your current headphones, then there is no need to waste another 300 euro, unless you really want to try something new. Look at my signature, it includes my current setups, and that's also my recommendation.
Thanks, i searched a bit and the only headphone i found is the hifiman he400i, is it good? What dac/amp would you advise to pair with?
I searched your signature but there arent any dac/amp available on amazon, do you have any other advise?

Thanks, sorry for bother you.

twsecrest

Oh ok thanks, i don't know if it changes any of what you wrote, but i mostly use them for gaming, and less to listen music.
You would spend that amount cause there aren't changes with a superior product or what?
Do you know if the topping nx4 is good? Cause the schiit isn't available on amazon, while the topping is, so if it doesn't satisfie my ears or just don't make a lot of difference from the fx audio i can return it back without problems, thing that i cant do from the schiit shop.

Is there maybe a better combo for my uses instead of the 990 pro + the schiit?
And are the hifiman he400i good? Maybe there is a better combo with those headphones? (if they are good)
Thanks, and sorry for the bad english :):facepalm:
I would guess I would use the HE400i, over the DT990, but I've never listened to the HE400i, but would assume they are roughly like my HF 580.

hardminder

Hey there, I know this thread has been inactive for a while but I wanted to ask you something. I've owned DT990 for 15 years, not sure what the OHM is, I was not aware of that at 15yo. I did everything with those, I like them. But they did their time so I purchased new ones, DT990 600 OHM and a JDS Labs Atom, hooked it up to the same system I've used over the last years, a focusrite scarlett audio interface. In comparison to my old cans, the highs are horrible, it hurts. And also, even witht he gain on, my scarlett at 100% and atom at 100% the volume is still bearable. I would rarely go over 1 o'clock with the previous headphones, no amp, no extra gain... What is your opinion on this? The extra sharp highs are my concern. I feel like using this setup for 3 days would bring a irreversible tinnitus, no joke. Thanks a lot for your time

twsecrest

Hey there, I know this thread has been inactive for a while but I wanted to ask you something. I've owned DT990 for 15 years, not sure what the OHM is, I was not aware of that at 15yo. I did everything with those, I like them. But they did their time so I purchased new ones, DT990 600 OHM and a JDS Labs Atom, hooked it up to the same system I've used over the last years, a focusrite scarlett audio interface. In comparison to my old cans, the highs are horrible, it hurts. And also, even witht he gain on, my scarlett at 100% and atom at 100% the volume is still bearable. I would rarely go over 1 o'clock with the previous headphones, no amp, no extra gain... What is your opinion on this? The extra sharp highs are my concern. I feel like using this setup for 3 days would bring a irreversible tinnitus, no joke. Thanks a lot for your time
Return the DT990 (600-Ohm), there are better headphones and less demanding for power.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I wouldn't worry to much with cheap Headphones.

Just get what's available in your country. And does what you need.

adama99

I've owned DT990 for 15 years, not sure what the OHM is, I was not aware of that at 15yo. I did everything with those, I like them. But they did their time so I purchased new ones, DT990 600 OHM and a JDS Labs Atom, hooked it up to the same system I've used over the last years, a focusrite scarlett audio interface. In comparison to my old cans, the highs are horrible, it hurts. And also, even witht he gain on, my scarlett at 100% and atom at 100% the volume is still bearable.

The 600-ohm version requires more voltage than the 250-ohm version to reach the same volume. Bass tends to suffer the most when there is insufficient power or voltage, which is likely why the highs seem so much worse than your previous DT 990.

Since you already owned and liked the DT 990, you could simply return the 600-ohm version for one that is 250-ohm or less. Alternatively, you could consider a different headphone - there are a number of decent options in that price range.

b7676

burn in reducing the treble peaks is a feature only of the 250 ohm

Top Bottom