• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

advise subwoofer help me .

pakos

ciao a tutti, e scusate per il mio pessimo inglese. Sto scegliendo il mio primo subwoofer. ho visto arendal 1723 1s che mi piace così tanto, e vorrei sapere se può stare nella mia stanza.
la mia stanza è 5 * 4 e ha molti mobili.
piano terra.PNG

my audio system is composed like this: amplifier: Nad C328 speakers: Dali oberon 3
can i trust this subwoofer? or at the same price do I find better? thank you

Willem

Major Contributor
You may want to consider two smaller subwoofers for a smoother response. E.g. two Arendal 1961 s1. Alternatively, you could also consider the KEF Kube 10b or 12b. A very compact option would be two SVS micro3000 subs, but these are not nearly as competitive in Europe as they are in the US. DSP room eq will help to smoothen the response even more. See here for a very good option, though a bit of a challenge to implement:
An easier dsp room eq option (though not as good) is the DSPeaker Antimode 8033.

OP
P

pakos

2 subwoofer, escono dal mio budget di 1500 € .. Provo a vedere se riesco a trovarne uno usato.
usa solo 1 subwoofer, non andrebbe bene? sentirei enormi differenze?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Google Translate....

2 subwoofers, out of my € 1500 budget. I try to see if I can find a used one. only use 1 subwoofer, wouldn't that be okay? would I feel huge differences?

OP
P

pakos

Google Translate....

2 subwoofers, out of my € 1500 budget. I try to see if I can find a used one. only use 1 subwoofer, wouldn't that be okay? would I feel huge differences?
sorry I wrote in Italian :oops::rolleyes:

DanielT

Major Contributor
No problem.:)

Bass, subwoffer frequencies in a normal living room, listening room are trickier to get good with one sub compared to distributing the workload on two or more subwoffers. It has to do with how low frequencies behave in normal listening rooms, living rooms. Room acoustics.

EQ plus subwoffer really belong together. So you can fix the frequency response.EQ applies no matter how good the subwoffer you buy.:)

See:

Edit:
One thing you can miss, forget to think about when you happily buy your sub. If you live in an apartment: Neighbors. They may be sensitive to fat subwoffer bass sounds ... or not. :)

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-02_18-28-34.png
    shot_2022-01-02_18-28-34.png
    264.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
All in all, in most cases multiple subwoofers give you a much smoother response, and over a wider listening area. The result is less boom and a tighter sound. In addition, adding dsp room equalization also becomes more effective, because the success applies to a rather wider listening area. Two subs gives a big improvement over one, three a bit more, and four just a bit more again. Not all subs have to be the same size: usually one big sub is enough while the others can be quite small. Apparently it is a good idea to have the same type for all, howevr, i.e. do no tmix seeld and ported.
If you want to read more on the important subject of room acoustics, see the famous book by Floyd Toole: https://books.google.nl/books/about..._button&hl=en&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Willem

Major Contributor
And don't worry about the Italian - I can read it easily, and speak some. Many of the American brands are either not on the EU market (like Rythmik) or rather more expensive (like SVS). So with tight budget constranits it is worth looking at the KEF Kube series. The small Kube 8b currently sells for 400 euros in the Netherlands, and the bigger Kube 12b for euro 550.

OP
P

pakos

Hello and thanks for the reply.
for kef subwoofers the prices in Italy are a bit high compared to those you listed. kube 8b 600€ 12b 899€ .
near my house about 30 minutes by road, there is an SVS dealer , and i was watching sb1000pro (price 699€) maybe i can get a discount.
the Monolith 10 "THX were also recommended to me, but in Italy they do not enjoy a good reputation, especially in terms of assistance.
I'm in a dead end, I don't know what to choose anymore :facepalm:

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Contact this company in the UK, https://www.bkelec.com/. They ship to Italy and the prices you see on the website include UK VAT. You would not pay UK VAT but IVA when they arrived in Italy. I have been using their Monolith Plus for ten years without any problem. It is a beast of a subwoofer. You could get two smaller subs like the P12-300SB-PR well within your budget.

Willem

Major Contributor
Subwoofers are big and heavy, so prices are not as uniform between countries/markets. Also, given current supply problems, prices may vary a lot from one moment to the next, and between dealers. Since Brexit buying from the UK has become problematic for EU customers, given import duty and increased handling charges.

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Subwoofers are big and heavy, so prices are not as uniform between countries/markets. Also, given current supply problems, prices may vary a lot from one moment to the next, and between dealers. Since Brexit buying from the UK has become problematic for EU customers, given import duty and increased handling charges.
I was in contact with them two weeks ago. They have not had any problems shipping to Italy from the UK. You are right though. Brexit has screwed up many things like trade that were very easy before.

Willem

Major Contributor
That would be good to hear, but I know of many other stories (not about subs). Dutch importers and UK exporters are complaining a lot.

Willem

Major Contributor
As for BK subs, I know many people are very happy. Surprisingly, however, not all of their subs have auto on/off. You would have to use a master/slave power strip.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uno subwoofer bastera' per cominciare. Hai pensato a utilizzare EQ?