• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advise needed on a new AV-receiver

Boemrits

Hi all,

I am completely new to this audio world, and looking at all the graphs and measurements is quite overwhelming and impressive.
That being said, I would like your advise on a new receiver I need to buy.
My old Onkyo TX-NR509 died, (the hdmi board stopped functioning, due to overheating of the DTS chip which is no longer fixable by heating the chip etc.).
I bought this in a discount some 10 years ago with a set of Jamo speakers HCS3 (2 fronts (S426), 1 center (S420) and 2 surrounds (S420)).

Went to a local HiFi dealer which advised me to look in the 1000 euro range for the Denon 2700 or 3700, however he added that with a couple of hundreds extra I could buy a NAD T758 V3 (or V3i, but I do not need apple airplay), which would be superior in build quality to the Denon and therefore more futureproof as well as the modular boards it houses.
Reading the reviews here, the only thing that seems to helps the NAD is the Dirac Live. And it has BluOS integration which is interesting. Allthough overall it might not be worth the money.

So I know the Jamo speakers are at the bottom of the food chain, and I most likely will end up replacing them for something else, so I am not at all bound to these speakers.
What I would like is a receiver that has multiroom capabilities and is future proof (say 4K video is enough imo).
I do have enough space in my living room to have decent distance from the speakers.
So I would like to get good sound quality as well, I am not an audiophile in that sense (might become one though) so there is a bit of headroom to compromise on that part.

I am very interested to hear your opinions on what receiver to buy.

Kind regards,
Tim

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon 2700 doesn't have pre-outs or Audyssey XT32, fewer powered or processing channels, smaller power supply vs 3700....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sal and Chrispy have good advice. Making sure you get at least 2 pre-outs is wise. The Denon is the safest bet. If you peruse the Yamaha A1080 thread you'll see a number of very satisfied owners there too, and pricing on that model should come in well below your budget.

Good luck and happy listening!

Top Bottom