• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advise headphones for me. Problem 990pro??

kprog

Hello, to see that you can advise me, I do not have stores nearby to go to try headphones.
Now I have Khadas tone + Atom + DT990 pro 250 ohm.
It has a very good sound and very clean for me. but sometimes, few, it falls short.
Sometimes I listen to it with atom at maximum power, and in other occasions, when the song has many bass, very deep, I can not give too much volume because the subwoofer sounds broken. (no longer gives and sounds like cracked cardboard)

What could it get that sounds just as clean, but that reaches more volume and endures a more powerful subwoofwe?
I spend it for my english, I use translator.

someone with 990pro 250 + atom or another powerful amp can check with that song if it has the same problem?

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
It looks like you have severe distortion when playing recordings with a lot of bass and playing it loud.
The DT990 is not bass heavy, looks neutral: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro

A first would be to try the DT990 with other gear.
The question is what causes the distortion.
First make sure it no anything upstream is causing the distortion before you spend money on another headphone.

OP
K

kprog

I'm going to upload a video, with the galaxy inside my dt990pro, you will see more clearly what I say.
In this song when Atom has the volume near 2 o'clock (of the clock) at high gain, start the puff puff puff.

and at maximum volume and puffff puffff puffff jajaja

It sounds very good, and very loud, but I would like it higher and with a more powerful bass and without distortion.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm going to upload a video, with the galaxy inside my dt990pro, you will see more clearly what I say.
In this song when Atom has the volume near 2 o'clock (of the clock) at high gain, start the puff puff puff.

and at maximum volume and puffff puffff puffff jajaja

It sounds very good, and very loud, but I would like it higher and with a more powerful bass and without distortion.

Okay, the issue is very obvious here.
You first need to find out if it's the headphones or another link in your chain that's causing the distortion. Follow Vincent's suggestion and try DT 990 with another source. Alternative, you can try another pair of headphones with your KTB + Atom.

OP
K

kprog

I have tried a SONY mdrzx310r. (20 euros). With these I have no distortion until very close to the maximum volume, (norm).
I have also tried the 990pro just like mine, from a friend, and they have the same problem as mine.
I think 990pro does not accept a good bass ?? or this is not normal?
If I use them without AMP, there is no fault, since it does not reach the necessary power.
With this other song, I can listen at maximum volume, without any distortion.

OP
K

kprog

I already asked for a replacement in Amazon, they sent new ones, but it has the same problem.

someone with 990pro 250 + atom or another powerful amp can check with that song if it has the same problem?

August

Try it with other amps, otherwise I think it is a problem with the 990 itself.

August

QQ截图20190525030853.png

The atom has exceeded the driving force that the 990 can withstand, so it sounds broken, I think

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What could it get that sounds just as clean, but that reaches more volume and endures a more powerful subwoofwe?
I spend it for my english, I use translator.

Audeze LCD2 seems like a good headphone for you. It does not have the piercing clear treble the DT990 has.
Will go louder as well.
You can't blow it up and has excellent visceral bass.

The DT990 is not suited for what you are looking for.
You are over-driving it.

Crane

Forum Donor
Personally i prefer the AKG 7xx/712 over the DT990. I got my khadas and atoms after i gave away my 990s so cant confirm what you are seeing. But i would try those headphones.

Currently, my goto are the Sendy Aiva but those are weight and price heavy. I heard there was a takstar HF580 that run similar drivers and are around 180-200$ on aliexpress but havent tried it if you are willing to try.

OP
K

kprog

AKG say it has less bass.

Thinking well, the DT990pro, does not have a poor bass. It has a good bass, and good sub bass. the problem is when you want a sub bass at high volume, it does not support it, the membrane starts to sound like broken. I guess it will be for being open ..

There are no headphones in 3 ways? it would be a better sound, if each one is in charge of its frequency.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maximum on a universal amplifier volume control is usually well into clipping if the input level is high. Most amps have excess gain to deal with low output sources so it isn’t unusual for the full power to be delivered around 2 o’clock on the level control if the input source has a high output, like the Khardas has.
My guess is you are driving the amp into clipping.
If you want loads-o-bass maybe you should consider Beats, they have lots and bass heads seem to like them.
My taste is classical music and my preference is for AKG Q701 levels of bass, which I find natural. I do have some B&W P7 phones which sound fine on rock music but horribly overblown bass on classical.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t watch (or rather listen to) that video as I’m on the train right now, but if it’s the headphones (not the amp) that’s distorting, it should have a pretty distinctive sound. Amp clipping sounds closer to guitar overdrive distortion, whereas a transducer being over pushed sounds more like what you describe: papery, hard, kind of peaky, maybe even a little rattly if the voice cool itself has been damaged.

And the other thing is: watch your hearing o_O

You’re almost definitely doing permanent damage to yourself listening regularly at those kinds of levels.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It looks like you have severe distortion when playing recordings with a lot of bass and playing it loud.
The DT990 is not bass heavy, looks neutral: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro

A first would be to try the DT990 with other gear.
The question is what causes the distortion.
First make sure it no anything upstream is causing the distortion before you spend money on another headphone.
Dt990pro is very bass beavy. V shaped rather.

Top Bottom