• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advise AMP for HEDDPhone + HifiMan Arya + Audeze LCD-X + Focal Clear

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Need some couple counseling, I'm not sure if I this couple needs to spice up their relationship, do they need AMP ? and will AMP will make any big difference for this couple, what you guys think ? ADI-2 DAC is able to drive HEDDPhone without much problem. I put it to 0db on volume knob and that was most loud I think I will be comfortable listening to it for longer duration.

IMHO if you are listening at 0 db or even -3db or higher full time, you need a more powerful amp, as there would be no headroom and a more powerful amp should sound better. Still recommend A90 as great personal experience and it's best measured amp here so far and it's balanced out is more than 3x the power of RME. The 887 measured really well too, but has clipping issue in high gain with XLR input unless volume is lowered at DAC level.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO if you are listening at 0 db or even -3db or higher full time, you need a more powerful amp, as there would be no headroom and a more powerful amp should sound better. Still recommend A90 as great personal experience and it's best measured amp here so far and it's balanced out is more than 3x the power of RME. The 887 measured really well too, but has clipping issue in high gain with XLR input unless volume is lowered at DAC level.

HEDDphone published specs don't really seem that it shouldn't be hard to drive yet listening to it to club level 90+ dB SPL requires lots of headroom power IMO. BTW, the most powerful amp I've hooked this headphone during my demo was with the Woo Audio WA5 2nd gen (not the LE) at high gain, high power and low impedance setting (8W at 120 ohm load in unbalanced 6.3mm jack) easily reaching 110 dB (on my estimation) at 12 o'clock position

ReaderZ

HEDDphone published specs don't really seem that it shouldn't be hard to drive yet listening to it to club level 90+ dB SPL requires lots of headroom power IMO. BTW, the most powerful amp I've hooked this headphone during my demo was with the Woo Audio WA5 2nd gen (not the LE) at high gain, high power and low impedance setting (8W at 120 ohm load in unbalanced 6.3mm jack) easily reaching 110 dB (on my estimation) at 12 o'clock position

Oh, I never heard HEDDphone, so wouldn't know by direct experience, my reply was more to my experience that if an amp or DAP has to be at max volume to drive a headphone at listening level, it never sound that great .

OP
M

mjoshi

Guys need some more help,I came across review of Soncoz SGD1 and now I’m rethinking if I should keep my RME or should get Soncoz and Topping A90 ? For prize of RME, I can get both of those units. What you guys advise ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Guys need some more help,I came across review of Soncoz SGD1 and now I’m rethinking if I should keep my RME or should get Soncoz and Topping A90 ? For prize of RME, I can get both of those units. What you guys advise ?
Have you already fot the RME? If yes, then try if the headphones play nicely on it and make choice accordingly.
If not, that depends on what you are after. Do you fancy eq, channel balanced setting and being an all in one unit? Also what about D90, or Schiit modius?

OP
M

mjoshi

Have you already fot the RME? If yes, then try if the headphones play nicely on it and make choice accordingly.
If not, that depends on what you are after. Do you fancy eq, channel balanced setting and being an all in one unit? Also what about D90, or Schiit modius?
Yes I did get RME yesterday, all of my headphones play nicely with it. Ive not got chance to explore more of its feature set yet.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes I did get RME yesterday, all of my headphones play nicely with it. Ive not got chance to explore more of its feature set yet.
So I guess the answer is clear. It's a keeper.

ReaderZ

Are you using RME feature such as EQ and auto ref, or it's just basic DAC function. I would say it's not worth it if you don't use any of it's extra features, as product cost less than 50% will out perform it as a simple dac, the combo make more sense. If you do, the SGD1 won't able to replace it.

OP
M

mjoshi

So I guess the answer is clear. It's a keeper.
Thank you, my confusion is with people stating that AMP will make bigger difference with RME, I’m not sure how, but that is what I’ve been reading

OP
M

mjoshi

Are you using RME feature such as EQ and auto ref, or it's just basic DAC function, I would say it's not worth it as product cost less than 50% will out perform it, the combo make more sense.
Totally new to this whole thing, so have not played with any of features yet,

ReaderZ

Totally new to this whole thing, so have not played with any of features yet,

I hit submit before preview and edit, see my edit post, but point is the same, it really depends you use all the features that's not found in vast majority of DACs.

AudioStudies

Unless the RME has trouble driving some of your headphones, which I tend to doubt that it will, I would say its a keeper. I did go through a bit of a learning curve to get familiar with all the features, but I just love mine. I have the DAC FS Version 2. I own two pairs of headphones, and it drives both with ease. You could always keep the RME and use it as a DAC only and go for the Topping A90. If you order the A90 and can't tell much of a difference, you could return the A90.

Top Bottom