• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advices regarding USB DAC/Headphone AMP combo for HIFI speakers on a computer/turntable

GodardLover

Hello everyone !

It's one of my first steps in the Hi-fi world and I don't want to make any bad choice so, thought it would be great to get some advices !

I am currently trying to make my first "Hi-fi setup" in which I would use two speakers (active or not, not sure what would be better ?) on both my computer, and a vinyl turntable with integrated preamp.

Also, as my front panel headphone jack doesn't work (defective audio cable of my computer case), I wanted to get a USB DAC/Headphone AMP that could replace it and make the connection between my Speakers and the computer/turntable.

The thing is, I am currently using a Sony XM3 Headphone, and I am not planning to get a dedicated Hi-fi headphone at the moment. So I am mostly searching for a desktop USB DAC that would be good enough for speakers, the headphone part would only be used as a replacement for my computer jack (mostly for video editing, I use them in Bluetooth most of the time).

As for my use, I mostly listen to Tidal masters, sometimes flac files, it would also be used for video games and video editing.

These are the main set-ups I stumbled across during my researches :

With Actives speakers

- Fiio K5 Pro ESS > RCA Out to Active Speakers (Elara LN01A ?)
> RCA In to Vinyl Turntable
> USB to Computer

- Topping DX3 Pro + (A) > RCA Out to Active Speakers > Mini-Jack to RCA in turntable (considering LN01A)
> USB to Computer

With Passives speakers

- Topping DX3 Pro + (B) > RCA Out to Topping PA3S (connected to LN01) > TRS to RCA in turntable
> USB to Computer

- Topping MX5 > Analog to passive speakers
> RCA In to Vinyl Turntable
> USB to Computer

As I am looking for something to last, what would be the best option for me, considering speaker quality/ease of use ? (I would be very pleased to discover alternatives if my first researches weren't the right ones)

Would passive/Active speakers be better for my use-case ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and your answers !

Last edited:
Top Bottom