• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice

huskerfan73

Long time lurker and finally got registered so I could ask a few questions. I have Mirage OMD-5 speakers with the matching center channel, a REL T7 subwoofer and a fairly old Marantz receiver (SR5006). I like the speakers but I wonder if its time for an upgrade. I guess I'm asking what to do first. Receiver, speakers, subwoofer? I don't think I can go wrong with Revel performa m105 and matching center. Yes, I'll search out and listen before I buy. For the receiver I'll try at some point to pick up a Denon X3700 but the sub I'm not sure about. I started building (just cut my mdf so far) a couple of Rythmik subs. Haven't made much progress and I haven't purchased them yet. Now I'm wondering if I'd be satisfied with two RSL Speedwoofer 10S mkii. Any ideas on how they'd perform compared to my single REL T7? My room is fairly open and approx 16' x 20'. I don't have a huge budget and will take time to do this in stages. Just looking for advice. Thanks in advance!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you applied PEQ and then measured the room? The biggest improvement you can make next to new speakers is to PEQ the room. It's free for the EQ/PEQ software and if you want to mic the room you'll need to buy a mic @~$90 to ~$100

OP
H

huskerfan73

Have you applied PEQ and then measured the room? The biggest improvement you can make next to new speakers is to PEQ the room. It's free for the EQ/PEQ software and if you want to mic the room you'll need to buy a mic @~$90 to ~$100
You're right, I guess that's the most economical way for an improvement. I'll look into it. Are you talking about REW and will that run on a MacBook? Any opinion on two RSL Speedwoofers vs the single REL T7?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Any opinion on two RSL Speedwoofers vs the single REL T7?
This is irrelevant at this point.

Best thing for you is to do what @Doodski said. You’ll be astonished by the unused potential of what you currently have. Leave the REL out of the equation at first, and optimize just your speakers and the room they’re in. Then, integrate your sub as properly as you can. Measure, measure, measure. When you’re done, just enjoy. It may have been all you needed.

OP
H

huskerfan73

This is irrelevant at this point.

Best thing for you is to do what @Doodski said. You’ll be astonished by the unused potential of what you currently have. Leave the REL out of the equation at first, and optimize just your speakers and the room they’re in. Then, integrate your sub as properly as you can. Measure, measure, measure. When you’re done, just enjoy. It may have been all you needed.
Sounds like a plan. I appreciate the information and advice. When I finally get around to it I'll check back in with an update.

Top Bottom