• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice with Apartment Studio Design

Samk1234

Hello ASR,

I am currently looking to move into an apartment which I would like to model as both a home and a reasonable listening room,

The space I am considering is a large studio. I prefer to convert it into a 1 bedroom for privacy reasons, but would not like this to have a significant impact on sound quality.

Please see the drawings below, which layout would you recommend?

studio design 194 merton.PNG

1 bed 194 merton.PNG

OP
S

Samk1234

In doing a little more research, I've drawn a third option of how to set up with a bedroom - by closing off listening area into a rectangle. Please see the image linked below:

1 bed closed.PNG

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
My instinct is the first option, as the large dimensions will give you long reflection path lengths, and the bed would probably make a good bass trap.

OP
S

Samk1234

Thanks Duke. I should add that the rightmost wall is mostly window..

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd recommend Quietrock drywall which I've used before. One sheet of it absorbs as much sound as seven sheets of regular drywall and it really works. It can go over existing if you have an electrician move the outlets out or just leave cut outs for existing and frame them out with something. Just depends on budget and if recessed outlets and switches are tolerable. In an apartment with shared walls it might be worth it, and solid core doors will really help keep the sound in.

Top Bottom