• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice: Wharfadale Linton vs Revel 106 vs Revel F35

muad

has given me enough grief with broken products .
Don't say that.... I love my nc252.

I would base your speaker decision on what kind of music you listen to. If you listen to crappy harsh recordings get the Linton's. They sound big and smooth. If you like detail and ultra pinpoint imaging get the revels.

Ziltoe

I would base your speaker decision on what kind of music you listen to. If you listen to crappy harsh recordings get the Linton's. They sound big and smooth. If you like detail and ultra pinpoint imaging get the revels.
Na, nee. Speakers idellay should only reproduce the source 1:1.

muad

Na, nee. Speakers idellay should only reproduce the source 1:1.
Yes, except speakers don't exist in a closed system. We have many speakers that measure well and score high (including the lintons) and yet they all sound different... Which one is the most accurate?

How do you account for dispersion patterns in different rooms vs perceived response? I don't think what you describe exists.

All I know is the Linton's have made all my music sound good, which I have never experienced with Kefs (except LS50M), revels, bmrs etc. There is something to be said for enjoying all of my music. I'm not an audiophile so I don't listen to only perfect recordings.... I love all my music :)

Last edited:

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Purchase both the F36 and the Linton. Combined, it’s less than the cost of the F206 and you could rotate them as you wish, or find a home for the other. If you have the wealth, spend more for the F206, but you’ll likely find that F36 would be just as entertaining at < half the price.
The f 36 is a pretty decent speaker...

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Thank you all.

I have to honestly admit that while I am in the purist "just the facts please, don't color my sound" camp, music isn't that enjoyable because most of the recordings that I listen to are poor.

I mostly listen to music in my native language, and a few others. These are very different from western music.
Used to be a die hard rock person in younger days.. but can't stand it now .. :)

I wish there were some sort of a "lintonizer", that one can apply upstream of a revel.

Btw, i plan to use the hypex dlcp as preamp. Unfortunately it does not let you load different filters at the click of a button, unlike minidsp. Else, one could have tried to put a "lintonizer" upstream in that case..

I will update this with thread post purchase and what I feel about it.

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor

It's not about quality of reproduction, but quality of the hardware.

I have purchased 12 ucds over the years, 6 have failed!
The hypex dlcp is an impossibly notorious device. Yes it sounds good.
I can observe that the early ucds were of a much better build quality than recent ones.

Last edited:
OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Thanks. Makes sense.

Harman local dealer is supposed to call soon.

Now need to decide between f36 vs M106.

M106 can be crossed with my dipole sub, but i would prefer the f36 for simplicity, unless the M106 is distinctly superior.

How i wish there were a simple formula to understand speakers. :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I had included this in the weighing pan as an alternative. Good high sensitivity on them as well. A clear challenger to Revel, and the Linton's. :)

Screenshot_2022-09-09_094200.jpg

Free shipping to India. For that price in relation to performance, they seem to be really good::)

Rs. 224,999.00

700__silver_500_7g.jpg

The Linton's in and of themselves have a nicer look, classic vintage look, I think. But thats just a matter of taste.:)

Edit:
prasanth.nath you say:

"Forgot to add.
I think it is important to get good bass and dynamics without necessarily increasing the level.
Neutral sound is preferable

.... I sit about 5 Meters away..."

Then I think you should investigate MA Silver 500 7G. With a listening distance of 5 meters, it is good to have speakers that have reasonably high sensitivity. Bass, with double 8 inch bass drivers in each speaker, it can pump well with bass. Is it enough? Not if you're a bass junkie, but for a hardcore bass junkie it's
enough even if half the listening room is full of fat subwoofers.:)

Last edited:

ToriCatcher

Thanks. Makes sense.

Harman local dealer is supposed to call soon.

Now need to decide between f36 vs M106.

M106 can be crossed with my dipole sub, but i would prefer the f36 for simplicity, unless the M106 is distinctly superior.

How i wish there were a simple formula to understand speakers. :)
As many around here, I own the M106. Can't compare it to the f36, but they are really fantastic speakers (when used with a sub). It's hard to see them disappoint you.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
When we still take on different proposals. If you now like bass, and can and want to play loud, these can be an option. I believe in and of itself that that model is no longer sold, in which case buy used. If they are found in India?

Low distortion makes it possible to play at high volume without the speakers crouching and sounding bad. Power Handling: 500 watts Peak Power. Dual 15 inch bass drivers in each box.
102117 (1).jpg

"Cerwin Vega CLS-215 Loudspeakers: Measurements

PLEASE NOTE: Our standard is to provide the THD+N measurement at 90dB with a measuring distance of 2 meters (within the anechoic chamber). Since this speaker produced very low distortion levels under those conditions, we have added a second measurement performed at 95dB to give an indication of performance under higher-output conditions. In addition, we have also provided an additional Deviation from Linearity measurement at 100dB based on the good performance at 95dB."

But it depends on whether you like that kind of sloped FR or not.:)
frequency_456075 (2).gif

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Thx.

I should clarify that I am not a basshead per se. My experience has been that one needs to be able to experience bass at moderate levels itself, without having to increase gain just for bass. It's not about heart stopping bass.

Regarding tonality, I am attempting to correlate data with Amir's perception. I quite like the sound of 305mk2. So, I would extrapolate from there and give more weight to devices that the great man has reviewed.

Hence, I think I should confine myself just to Revel / JBL kits. Like i said earlier, the JBl qc make me nervous.

Thank you for your suggestions, as they may be valuable to readers .

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you lack bass at low volume, try an amp with loudness functionality. Although you may already have that, amp with loudness functionality?

Some like that functionality.:)

514E992C-C398-43DB-9417-49A7695501BF.jpeg

Bergante

I got a pair of Lintons last month and I love them. Maybe the bass is a bit overhyped (confirmed with Fuzzmeasure), but I need to rearrange the room a bit and set them further away from the wall, plus move some furniture.

I am using them with a vintage Audiolab 8000S and I love the sound.

Top Bottom