• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice: Wharfadale Linton vs Revel 106 vs Revel F35

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Hi ASR,

I have the following options available in this part of the world.
  1. Wharfadale Linton @ 1880 USD (pair)
  2. Revel M106 @ 2631 USD (pair)
  3. Revel F36 @ 2255 USD (pair)
  4. Revel F206 @ 4636 USD (pair)
I would like to narrow this to one of the Linton/M106/F36 vs F206.

Among Linton/M106/F36 Which one would be your pick, given the prices above?

Do you think the Revel F206 is worth paying almost double vs the other contenders?

I know these are subjective questions :)

PS: I already have a dipole subwoofer (from Linkwitz LX Studio). One possibility is to buy 106 and pair with these.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are all reviewed and measure great. I know this is such a lame answer but any chance you can hear them in your space? Will you get upgradeitis if you don’t get the 206’s? Does $$ even matter to you? For me, I’d say save if you feel the others aren’t your thing and money is a concern. Just seems like based on your post you want the 206. All of them are really good choices

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Alas, I wouldn't be able to hear them in my space.
No, I wouldn't get upgradeitis :)

Regarding F206, I was asking myself, will I get "twice" the value if I buy that. Not sure how to think about it

YSC

Major Contributor

Regarding F206, I was asking myself, will I get "twice" the value if I buy that. Not sure how to think about it
I think that depends on how large your space is? In a tight room floorstanders don’t sound like a good idea as imaging could be affected by space between various drivers. While at large rooms although you have your subs, the bookshelf options might not be enough for your SPL needs

Daverz

Major Contributor
Erin's review of the Lintons:

Those are some pretty heavy import markups on the Revels. I'd be tempted to take a chance on locally made speakers.

DMill

The Lintons are quite big on their stands and would require as much space as the 206s. I was seriously considering them and heard them a couple times. They sounded great but were too big for my family room.

tw 2022

The revels are going to sound drastically different from the wharfedales...you need to figure out which type of sound you want .. Revels are more " in your face" wharfedale is smooth & laid back in comparison.. Honestly it's an odd comparison...

DMill

You won’t get “twice” the value in terms of sound. But it might sound a bit better. :) Funny how this hobby is where a lot more money might give you just a little bit more.

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
There is only 1 local company worth considering.. but they don't give measurements, and they are almost as costly as revel.
Acousticportait.com

Space : 27 by 18 feet

I like the sound of JBL 305 mk 2.

I hv a Lx studio right now. It sounds bad now and the amplifier / dsp setup from hypex has given me enough grief.
It is not necessarily the design - most probably equipment issues. I live in a humid and hot climate (Trivandrum , 8 degrees north of equator) and somehow the equipment has not held up

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Forgot to add.
I think it is important to get good bass and dynamics without necessarily increasing the level.
Neutral sound is preferable

muad

I had the Revel F206, great speaker overall, but I prefer the Linton. The linton is smoother, not hyper detailed, not as pin point in the imaging. Between the two, the linton sounds good with all of my music (all genres). The Lintons are not muffled or overly warm or anything, they just walk the line between detailed and harsh better than any other speaker I've owned. The lintons are more full range, but you have a sub, so that matters less. I also found that the lintons sound great even when far off axis (80 degrees) in the kitchen, while the F206 sounded muffled and less engaging.

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
The only question I have now is.. can one use this in a far field set up. I sit about 5 Meters away. Would that be a problem, I wonder.

OP
prasanth.nath

prasanth.nath

Forum Donor
Just read through the 708p ownership thread. Plenty of qc issues.
Last thing i need is another broken one. Hypex has given me enough grief with broken products .

So back to Revel or Linton.

possumtaters

Purchase both the F36 and the Linton. Combined, it’s less than the cost of the F206 and you could rotate them as you wish, or find a home for the other. If you have the wealth, spend more for the F206, but you’ll likely find that F36 would be just as entertaining at < half the price.

Top Bottom