• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice wanted (Is this okay?) : Looking for a <$1000 stereo amplifier

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't want to sound snarky but alas I probably will.
The pictures I see when clicking that show a render of a VERY dull gray box.

Let me repeat - I want something that looks impressive, or at least doesn't look like a generic square metal case with a power button..

You don't like the Boxem orange? Why are you looking for a stylish chassis?

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't want to sound snarky but alas I probably will.
The pictures I see when clicking that show a render of a VERY dull gray box.

Let me repeat - I want something that looks impressive, or at least doesn't look like a generic square metal case with a power button..
Just put the guts into the fancy wood box of your choice. If you want a fancy machined metal case, your budget is too small.

You might even be able to repurpose the case of the amp you are using now.

Rick "but wood cases are not good for cooling" Denney

Reactions: Wes

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So - to make a short story very long; I'd like to buy a "commercial" replacement of my own DIY amp (one that doesn't "frisszlesizzle"); preferably one that's very energy efficient and could be on 24/7, and I assume that means it would need to be a class D amplifier.

I suggest March Audio. I've had a p252 for two years now, works beautifully, hits your price point. Even the 502 would.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Willem

Major Contributor
They remind me of the 70s era quad amps, in a good way.
Indeed. A Quad 33/303 was my first amplifier, bought as student in 1971. I still have it although I no longer use it. The design was clean and rational without any bling, hence a timeless beauty. Th eon/off switch was part of the volume control, which is a very old feature that deserves to be imitated. My current main power amps are a rather sombre looking 2x140 watt Quad 606-2 in the main system (sadly the paint is of a not very robust kind) and a similarly fully refurbished 2x100 watt Quad 405-2 on my desk. The latter is just a small rectangular box with a stylish heatsink as its front. Both use Quad's innovative current dumping design, and work flawlessly.

Willem

Major Contributor
Advice on which Hypex or Purifi amp to buy should begin with the question where you live. Here in Europe I would go for an Audiophonics if money was tight, and a Boxem if you want better technical quality and a very nice case.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Advice on which Hypex or Purifi amp to buy should begin with the question where you live. Here in Europe I would go for an Audiophonics if money was tight, and a Boxem if you want better technical quality and a very nice case.

Well Iam in Australia and recently added an Apollon amp to the stable

chelgrian

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the pictures (photographs btw, not renders) need a revision :D.
It doesn't look impressive because it is small. But it far to look dull. And it has no power button ;).
Now if you want a huge box with gold, silver, chrome and blinking RGB, sorry, we do not have such things in stock.

I do think you should come out with a Star Wars theme line of amps - just make it look different enough to avoid IP issues

Top Bottom