• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Advice] Setup evolution

OP
B

bathroomskank

I went for a dual Monolith 10". Except for the space they take, I'm very happy.
Ultimately, I am going to keep my Yamaha amp as it is very convenient.
I would like to change the vintage Ditton 44 for something measuring better.
I tend to be attracted by some Aria 906 over Polk R200 or Elac DBR62.
As I don't necessary listen on axis, could you suggest a pair of bookshelf speakers taking that point into consideration ?

Thank you

Waxx

Major Contributor
@bathroomskank explain how you are not satisfied with Ditton 44 II? Those have 8" bass and 10" subs back? Are there any measurements of them?
No measurments here, but i know those speakers very well and they lack the very deep bass that reggae needs. Reggae requieres bass to 30Hz to sound good and the Dittons cut off way earlier, on hearing i guess in the 60 to 50Hz region. I did find measurments of their era (1971) that also show that (see attachment) For a lot of music it does not matter that much, but for reqgae, where the bass is the main melody it does matter a lot. So i understand he wants subwoofers to fix this (because except the low bass, they are quiet decent speakers, even today).

Btw, my good old Goodman Mezzo SL, probally from the same era has a 10" woofer and has the same issue with reggae. I still have them but not connected at the moment. But for reggae i also used them with a subwoofer, while for rock or jazz i did not use the sub. In the meantime i got a lot of selfbuild speakers that are more fit for my needs.

Attachments

• Celestion-Ditton-44-Test.pdf
    645.8 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom