• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

advice required, linux pc, sony dnr1080, cambridge audio speaker 5.1

Oaf4502

hi, i have a bog standard linux pc, with an onboard sound card.
i also have a sony av receiever with nice cambridge audio 5.1 speakers.

can i please get advice on the best way to connect my pc to the receiver and even the way to setup the receiver?
i have looked at sound cards, but it seems a desktop DAC would be the best way to go as the benefit from sound cards is questionable?

i am going to be using this for music only. thank you

edit sony dnr 1080 receiver

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I documented my process getting Ubuntu working with high quality sound, in a 3 part series that starts here. This should apply to any Linux system that has PulseAudio.

Years ago, a high quality sound card was the way to go, especially one with both analog, and digital (coax & toslink) outputs. But these days DACs with USB inputs are so common, and so high quality, you might as well go that route.

Either way (sound card or external USB DAC), the above article explains how to set up the system to support it.

OP
O

Oaf4502

I documented my process getting Ubuntu working with high quality sound, in a 3 part series that starts here. This should apply to any Linux system that has PulseAudio.

Years ago, a high quality sound card was the way to go, especially one with both analog, and digital (coax & toslink) outputs. But these days DACs with USB inputs are so common, and so high quality, you might as well go that route.

Either way (sound card or external USB DAC), the above article explains how to set up the system to support it.
im using pipewire, its default in my OS

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Oaf4502 do you have multichannel, surround sound music that you want to play, or just stereo?

OP
O

Oaf4502

Pipewire sounds great. I haven't used it yet but I plan to learn more about it.
im pretty clueless on this stuff tbh. i was using linux mint, i switched to pipewire with it, and now im using pop_OS where pipewire where its defaut

Top Bottom