• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice requested for upgrading/replacing small speakers

DanielT

Major Contributor
Well, I noticed nobody said anything when I said Klipsch, so I got a bit anxious. But I do think they are significantly better than the Pioneer 1-ways. To my ears. And the Fosi has tone controls, so.... ;)

As long as you like them.:) In addition, a little extra treble at low listening volume is something many people, including me, like. It depends on this:

514E992C-C398-43DB-9417-49A7695501BF.jpeg

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
If you feed the signal -Spotify to your subwoofer then from the sub line out to the Fosi TB10D amplifier, you have the option of lowering the bass on the speakers via the bass tone control on the Fosi TB10D. At what frequency this tone control is set I do not know, nor how many dB it lowers the bass in that case.

In any case. Something you can try later.:)

Fosi Audio TB10D stereo amplifier cheap review.jpg

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
If you feed the signal -Spotify to your subwoofer then from the sub line out to the Fosi TB10D amplifier, you have the option of lowering the bass on the speakers via the bass tone control on the Fosi TB10D. At what frequency this tone control is set I do not know, nor how many dB it lowers the bass in that case.

In any case. Something you can try later.:)

View attachment 241118
Good idea, something interesting to try if needed.

OP
T

tastewar

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're proposing the signal path that I was planning on:
RCA cables from SOURCE to SUB line level IN, then line level OUT from SUB to AMP via FILTERS. Then direct from AMP to little SPEAKERS.
But maybe you're suggesting the filters might not be necessary? In any case, that is my plan, and the filters are already here. Subwoofer was scheduled to arrive Wednesday, but has been re-scheduled to today (!) so there's something to look forward to!

DanielT

Major Contributor
If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're proposing the signal path that I was planning on:

But maybe you're suggesting the filters might not be necessary? In any case, that is my plan, and the filters are already here. Subwoofer was scheduled to arrive Wednesday, but has been re-scheduled to today (!) so there's something to look forward to!
Sorry if I mess it up with the bass control. You should for your affordable good (absolutely for that price) bedroom solution keep the FMOD Crossover and connect the fiter. :)

You are doing exactly the right thing, with the FMOD Crossover connection ("RCA cables from SOURCE to SUB line level IN, then line level OUT from SUB to AMP via FILTERS. Then direct from AMP to little SPEAKERS.").

I don't even know if you can read how and where in frequency the bass control on the Fosi TB10D is set to be active. Maybe 100 Hz, maybe not. By how many dB it lowers and raises bass I don't know, nor its slope either. BUT you have that feature you can test. Maybe together with FMOD Crossover connected. The bass control is there.:)

Speaking of. There are different crossover frequencies you can choose with an FMOD Crossover High Pass filter. What did you choose? 50 Hz? 100 Hz or something else?

Actually (although you may think it's overkill) I think you should measure the frequency response in your room and then screw with an EQ so you get the FR you like. Subwoofer and EQ are a happy marriage.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-11-06_171100.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-06_171100.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_2022-11-06_171129.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-11-06_171129.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
T

tastewar

OK, so that sub is um, quite a bit bigger than I was imagining. I said to myself, well, it has to be *somewhat* bigger than an 8" cube but probably not much. Hah! Had to work to get it to fit where I was planning. But OK, it is in! Very pleased with the sound. It is setup as planned; the filters are 100 Hz, and I set the sub for ~100 Hz as well. Bass control on the Fosi is set low, but I haven't looked into exactly what it's doing (if it is documented). I am sure more could be done, but I am quite content for now. Both the lows and highs are clearer than before (no surprise, I know...). Thanks again for the expert advice and guidance.

Some day, I will move on to my "final" system for the house, which will be just 2 channels, but hopefully speakers that don't need a sub, and just 2 inputs -- 1 for a turntable (I do have a phono preamp), and the other for streamer/dac. That will be the main "just audio" system. The amp will also need to be able to handle 2 sets of speakers, like old-timey A/B/A+B to be able to send the sound to an outdoor set of speakers. But that's a topic for another thread, and another year or two or three down the line. I get by listening to music through the home theater system for the time being.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm glad you like your new speakers! I figured you would. Adding the sub is just icing on the cake. You did a good job of getting a nice performing inexpensive system. Plus it will play loud to very loud if you need it.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I say the same as Spkrdctr and add , try playing something with a lot of bass.;)

For example:

Or any other bass techno music. There are many such lists on Spotify.

You who have carpentry skills.
When at some point in the future you are thinking about a pair of "final" speakers, why not DIY? If you think it would be fun, that is.:)

OP
T

tastewar

My go to test (from my music library) is a disc called "Just Say Mao" from back in the late 80's. Sounded quite good. Punchy, and nothing seemed over-driven, even at louder volumes that I care for.

I would look at used Energy "take" series speakers. Energy is competent, they fit the size requirements and they are cheap and plentiful second hand.

OP
T

tastewar

Interesting for the next person in a similar situation. Also possible candidates for outdoor speakers!

Oops, missed the post where you ordered Klipsch. I was thinking of was the Take classic speakers which have been around for maybe 15+ years and are laminated mdf (ie not waterproof!)

x732TAKE50-b.jpeg

Top Bottom