• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice: Replace aging DAC & AMP

Jay_007

Hi,

I could use some advice on upgrading an old DAC/AMP combo.

Current Gear:
1. DAC: Fiio E07K
2. AMP: Fiio E09K

Audio Source:
1. USB from PC
2. FLAC, MP3 320, AAC 320, SPOTIFY HIGH

Music Genres:
Rock, Hip Hop, Classical, Orchestra, Rap, R&B, EDM, plus more (& spanish but will leave out) & (Lisa Gerrard, Michael Bolton, Metallica, Dolly Parton, Michael Jackson, Johann Johannsson, Alesandre Desplat, TAY TAY, ADELE, RASCAL FLATS)

Current Headphones:
1. HD800
2. Arya
3. hd 6xx
4. RE 800
5. Dt990 250 ohm
6. ath m50 / vxmoda m100
7. Sundara

Possible Purchases:
1. L30 + E30
2. DX7 PRO
3. Monolith THX 887 + E30
4. Monolith thx 788
5. SMSL M500

Extra info:

I am replacing the setup because I've had it since 2012 and it started to not function properly (Soda was dropped on it, I felt and feel terrible).
I'd like to get the topping L30 & E30 stack because its budget friendly (heh) and because it has good reviews here at ASR. However, I'm worried it won't be powerful enough for Arya and sundaras. DX7 Pro, smsl m500, and thx 788 are nice because its all in one but more expensive. E30 + THX 887 is another enticing option. I have no need for bluetooth, balanced input/output, TOSLINK, coax, EQ, but do require the power to drive the planars. Cheaper option would be nicer as well (could use saved money for next headphone).

Also, first time posting but been following the reviews here for a while now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I could use some advice on upgrading an old DAC/AMP combo.

Current Gear:
1. DAC: Fiio E07K
2. AMP: Fiio E09K

Audio Source:
1. USB from PC
2. FLAC, MP3 320, AAC 320, SPOTIFY HIGH

Music Genres:
Rock, Hip Hop, Classical, Orchestra, Rap, R&B, EDM, plus more (& spanish but will leave out) & (Lisa Gerrard, Michael Bolton, Metallica, Dolly Parton, Michael Jackson, Johann Johannsson, Alesandre Desplat, TAY TAY, ADELE, RASCAL FLATS)

Current Headphones:
1. HD800
2. Arya
3. hd 6xx
4. RE 800
5. Dt990 250 ohm
6. ath m50 / vxmoda m100
7. Sundara

Possible Purchases:
1. L30 + E30
2. DX7 PRO
3. Monolith THX 887 + E30
4. Monolith thx 788
5. SMSL M500

Extra info:

I am replacing the setup because I've had it since 2012 and it started to not function properly (Soda was dropped on it, I felt and feel terrible).
I'd like to get the topping L30 & E30 stack because its budget friendly (heh) and because it has good reviews here at ASR. However, I'm worried it won't be powerful enough for Arya and sundaras. DX7 Pro, smsl m500, and thx 788 are nice because its all in one but more expensive. E30 + THX 887 is another enticing option. I have no need for bluetooth, balanced input/output, TOSLINK, coax, EQ, but do require the power to drive the planars. Cheaper option would be nicer as well (could use saved money for next headphone).

Also, first time posting but been following the reviews here for a while now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if I posted in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Thanks.

Do you have and use balanced cables?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From your list I would get the L30/E30. It has pleanty of power for your headphones.

Not on your list, but Schiit Modi/ Magni Heresy is also a good option. Power in spades and US made. Still excellent, but not measuring as well as Topping. Differences will not be audible.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also consider the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for both headphones and IEMs, plus all the PEQ goodness for each phone (check Oratory's measurements and corrections).

OP
J

Jay_007

Also consider the RME ADI-2 DAC FS for both headphones and IEMs, plus all the PEQ goodness for each phone (check Oratory's measurements and corrections).
Definitely a nice piece of equipment. But if I don't have a need for eq, balanced, etc, why not get the topping stack that measures very well. Maybe more power, but $300 vs $1200 seems a bit rough to justify.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Definitely a nice piece of equipment. But if I don't have a need for eq, balanced, etc, why not get the topping stack that measures very well. Maybe more power, but $300 vs $1200 seems a bit rough to justify.

Yeah, and you can add a hardware PEQ device for like $200-$300 if you ever wanted to do that, as opposed to going all out on the ADI-2 DAC FS. Get the E30 and L30 and be happy.

TechEnthusiast

I ended up buying the topping a90.

I thought I'd spend the money on a good amp and a good set of features even i don't plan on using them right away. For DAC, I got the E30.

That makes goog sense. I have the E30 and it is a great value. The amp was more difficult.....like you I had no need for balanced.....but wanted quality. Right now I have the L30 and an ifi Zen Can and still not sure. Jealous of that A90 you have but I doubt thatI would ever take full advantage of what it has.

OP
J

Jay_007

That makes goog sense. I have the E30 and it is a great value. The amp was more difficult.....like you I had no need for balanced.....but wanted quality. Right now I have the L30 and an ifi Zen Can and still not sure. Jealous of that A90 you have but I doubt thatI would ever take full advantage of what it has.

I don't think I'll use it fully any time soon. I was thinking I should get something that I might end up handing down to the kid and it still being great.

TechEnthusiast

I ended up buying the topping a90.

I thought I'd spend the money on a good amp and a good set of features even i don't plan on using them right away. For DAC, I got the E30.

That makes good sense. I have the E30 and it is a great value. The amp was more difficult.....like you I had no need for balanced.....but wanted quality. Right now I have the L30 and an ifi Zen Can and still not sure. Jealous of that A90 you have but I doubt that I would ever take full advantage of what it has. Plus it only has a minor advantage in power over se vs the Zen Can that is...2.0wpc vs 1.6wpc

Top Bottom