• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice regarding simple 2nd audio system based on turntable

Guermantes

A friend of mine is looking to put together a 2nd audio system based on a Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 turntable he already owns. I think he has an Garrott K3 MM cartridge on it.

The space he wants to use it in is a combined living-dining-kitchen area that opens out onto a rear entertainment deck via folding doors. It's a reasonably large area downstairs in a two storey house. He already has a dedicated home theatre system in another room based on Anthem and Paradigm equipment.

He is looking for the basics: phono preamp, amplifier and bookshelf speakers (not floorstanders). Primarily for record replay but will probably want to use a streaming source (Apple), too. Budget is around $2000 AUD (~$1300 USD). This is a leisure system, so he is interested in character and aesthetics as well as value-for-money.

He has suggested going with more Pro-Ject gear, specifically the S2 range:
Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 Phono Preamp (he is fairly set on this because he would like some tube/valve colouration)
Pro-Ject MaiA Integrated Amplifier
Pro-Ject Amp Box S2 Stereo Power Amplifier
Pro-Ject Speaker Box 5

Besides the recent review of the Tube Box preamp by Amir, I'm not familiar with the Pro-Ject line-up. It appears the amps are Class D and based on Flying Mole modules. I wonder if the system would be under-powered for the space. I don't suspect he will always be sitting in the near-field while listening. Starting with the Maia amp and adding something like the March Audio P122 Hypex amp further down the track would out-gun the Amp Box S2 by a large margin.

Another option he has suggested is Cambridge Audio (combined with the Tube Box S2):
Cambridge Audio Aeromax 2 Bookshelf Speaker
Cambridge Audio AXA35 Integrated Amplifier

Does anyone have some advice based on knowledge or experience of the above?

Personally, I prefer the Cambridge Audio option but I was thinking something like the Yamaha A-S701 or S501 might be better value -- more power and seems like there are good reviews.

As for speakers . . . something around the $1000 AUD mark. He has suggested the B&W 606 but I fear they may suffer from the infamous B&W treble response.

OP
Guermantes

Guermantes

Ok, I've received some more info regarding speaker size: there is a height restriction of 335 mm.

That rules out the CA Aeromax 2 speakers, so I suggested the Q Acoustics 3030i based on the review and measurements by @napilopez.

So any suggestions regarding an amplifier to match with the 3030i?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
What about active monitors, skipping the outboard amp? Mackie MR624, JBL 305P, PreSonus Eris E5 XT? All of these are under the height limit and under $1k AUD per pair.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What about active monitors, skipping the outboard amp? Mackie MR624, JBL 305P, PreSonus Eris E5 XT? All of these are under the height limit and under $1k AUD per pair.

Or, wait for the periodic Harman sales, and get the 705p's for $500 each...

I'd second this idea for active speakers...he could then get an older preamp with a phono input, add a CCA or any streaming box (pi), and he's done.

Edit: I'm somewhat biased, as I like the older stuff...especially with vinyl, as the tone controls and flexibility is worth more than better measurements to me.

What I use from a TT out to JBL 705p's:

0501200748.jpg

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
My suggestion for a good traditional budget system would be a Yamaha AS701 and some QAcoustics speakers. The Yamaha has plenty of power, MM and digital inputs, and measures very well. I have some smaller QAcoustics speakers in the bedroom and I am pretty pleased. They also look good (mine are gloss white). The size limitation for the speakers troubles me a bit, because speakers usually like some space around them.

murraycamp

Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That Nakamichi is soo good looking....

That's a badass piece of vintage kit there @BDWoody - very cool.

Thank you....
In addition to getting a disproportionate amount of attention from visitors, the FM tuner on these things is thought to be quite good, and it is honestly nice to just listen to some of the local stations now and then.

The TT is another piece that isn't about ultimate sound quality, but is in the 'pretty damn ok' category.

Technics SL-V5
0501201036.jpg

The contour control control is handier than I thought as well.

It's not part of my 'main' system, but is for casual listening around the kitchen or dining room, so people can fuss with it if they like and I won't really care.

Been a long time since most have put on a record or flipped through the radio dial...and it's kinda cool over dinner.

(My kids about 20 years ago in the drawing)

Last edited:
OP
Guermantes

Guermantes

Actually, I'm drooling over that MOTU 896, @BDWoody.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll talk to him about the option of small active speakers plus a preamp.

As I mentioned, aesthetic considerations are important so I'm not sure he will be happy with an older preamp. Also, in our corner of the world these things don't often come up on the 2nd hand market. I suppose there is the Schiit SYS . . . I'm surprised Pro-Ject don't have a preamp in their line-up.

@Willem, I am thinking along the same lines as you: the Yamaha AS701 with the 3030i would be my pick for looks, power and price. The space restrictions seem to be dictated by the dimensions of a cabinet he is having made up. This is a lifestyle system and these things will be part of the furniture, so to speak.

Anyway, I think he is planning to audition the Pro-Ject amps and Q Acoustic speakers today (our COVID-19 restrictions are starting to ease), so he can find out first-hand if they are fit for purpose.

Top Bottom