• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice please on new AVR

Wildgift

I currently have a Yamaha RX-v2085. I have about 1,200-1,400 to play with after an insurance settlement replacing an old Denon. I'd like to use the money to replace the Yamaha.

I'm using it for a home theater, driving a 5.1 system with Swan speakers (still sound great) and a sub. I'm using a PS5 and an LG C2 77" OLED, as well as a Sony Blu-ray UBP-X800 for 4k; also, Apple TV 4K. Also using a Bluesound Node for Roon playback. I don't need earsplitting volume but nice sound and reasonable ease of use would be great. Don't need a zillion crazy DSP effects like "cavern club" (LOL) but a good processing system to simulate quad on non-quad playback would be nice.

I also use the AVR for listening to multichannel music on SACD/DVD-A.

I'd be very interested in recommendations. Thinking of a Denon 4700H but open to suggestions--Yamaha RX-A4A? Onkyo RZ-50? MANY THANKS!

Last edited:
Reactions: TSB

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was going to suggest a Denon 4700 before I got to that part of your post....

Bren Derlin

The Onkyo RZ50 is on sale for $1,300 USD.

Onkyo RZ50 Crutchfield Linky

I’d go that route — especially if you want it fairly simple. Comes with Dirac Live, if that’s important to you.

i just bought the Anthem 540 8K for $1,400 on sale, and love the sound quality, but it can be fussy to set up. Even before you get to ARC room correction. …it’s a 5.1 receiver with two pre-outs if you want to go to a 7.1 rig. …One big thing I like about it — 100wpc with all 5 channels driven. The power doesn’t drop when you connect your speakers, like the Denon or Marantz will do. My x2600H drops from 95w 2-channels driven, to 60w with 7 channels driven.

I don’t normally push the receivers hard, usually around -60 to -63db for movies and music. On occasion, I’ll give a bit more juice and push it to -75db. Which, for where I’m sitting, feels crazy loud.

OP
W

Wildgift

The Onkyo RZ50 is on sale for $1,300 USD.

Onkyo RZ50 Crutchfield Linky

I’d go that route — especially if you want it fairly simple. Comes with Dirac Live, if that’s important to you.

i just bought the Anthem 540 8K for $1,400 on sale, and love the sound quality, but it can be fussy to set up. Even before you get to ARC room correction. …it’s a 5.1 receiver with two pre-outs if you want to go to a 7.1 rig. …One big thing I like about it — 100wpc with all 5 channels driven. The power doesn’t drop when you connect your speakers, like the Denon or Marantz will do. My x2600H drops from 95w 2-channels driven, to 60w with 7 channels driven.

I don’t normally push the receivers hard, usually around -60 to -63db for movies and music. On occasion, I’ll give a bit more juice and push it to -75db. Which, for where I’m sitting, feels crazy loud.
Thanks for the tips. Leaning to Onkyo!

delta76

Major Contributor
Only concern is only 1 HDMI 2.1 input :(
You only need 1 for your PS5. if you need more in the future, consider AVS-3 or other HDMI 2.1 switch
you probably want to check out x3800h. if you buy x4700h now it would use the same TI chip as x3800h.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You only need 1 for your PS5. if you need more in the future, consider AVS-3 or other HDMI 2.1 switch
you probably want to check out x3800h. if you buy x4700h now it would use the same TI chip as x3800h.
Absolutely true. The easiest way to hook up the system is using the video display (TV typically) as HDMI hub. Plug the earc port to the AVR and enjoy the comfort of CEC.

DrStranger

I currently have a Yamaha RX-v2085. I have about 1,200-1,400 to play with after an insurance settlement replacing an old Denon. I'd like to use the money to replace the Yamaha.

I'm using it for a home theater, driving a 5.1 system with Swan speakers (still sound great) and a sub. I'm using a PS5 and an LG C2 77" OLED, as well as a Sony Blu-ray UBP-X800 for 4k; also, Apple TV 4K. Also using a Bluesound Node for Roon playback. I don't need earsplitting volume but nice sound and reasonable ease of use would be great. Don't need a zillion crazy DSP effects like "cavern club" (LOL) but a good processing system to simulate quad on non-quad playback would be nice.

I also use the AVR for listening to multichannel music on SACD/DVD-A.

I'd be very interested in recommendations. Thinking of a Denon 4700H but open to suggestions--Yamaha RX-A4A? Onkyo RZ-50? MANY THANKS!
You should check out the A4A, HDMI 2.1 4K120/8K60A (uncompressed), just like the A6 and A8 on all ports. I have been looking at both the A4 and A6, the reviews are all top notch from users and reviewers. Missing DIRAC not the end of the world imo I just want great build quality and dont want "port 1-3 is 8k, 4-6 is 4k" bla bla, you get what I mean...

Top Bottom