• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on using surface mount bipole speakers as front speakers?

mfrankwilson

I have a room where I’d like to improve the stereo sound, and not rearrange the furniture much. The seating is not in a good location for where I would foresee mounting front speakers. Attaching a room diagram. The "front" would be at the top of this diagram.
room layout.jpg

Reading Toole’s 3rd edition, section 9.4 “Boundary-Friendly” loudspeaker Designs, it occurred to me that perhaps bipole surround speakers might compensate for this situation. Speakers such as the Inifinity Beta ES250, Revel Performa3 S206, or Inifinity Reference RS152.

As bipoles they would have a broad radiation pattern, adapting to the “off-axis” seating locations, and being designed as surface mounts, would accommodate that mounting.

What are the obvious drawbacks to this approach, using bipole surface mount surround speakers as front speakers?

Currently I have a Boston TVee Model 30 3.1 soundbar. The TV sound is ok, but the stereo listening is not so hot.

The rest of the game plan would be to also get a new center speaker, remove the soundbar and get 1 or 2 new subwoofers.
Thanks, Frank

Top Bottom