• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on using ADI-2 DAC with computer, speakers, and headphones

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying the ADI-2 DAC but I have a question on how to connect to my set up. I'd like to connect the DAC as follows:

PC --> DAC --> 1) Speakers (Vanatoo Transparent Zero) or 2) Headphones. I'll be using the RME DAC as a switch to change between speakers and headphones.

What is the best way to connect my current system to ADI-2 DAC so the above is possible?

Thanks!

Willem

Major Contributor
Your speakers already have digital inputs so you could connect them directly to the pc. I am not sure of the benefits of a professional and very high quality but pricey dac used in combination with quite modest speakers.

OP
mrcultureshock
Could you recommend better speakers that will go well with the RME DAC?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you recommend better speakers that will go well with the RME DAC?

Any active speakers will go well with that DAC! It is, for all intents and purposes, perfect - but so are significantly cheaper DACs.

If your main concern is getting the highest fidelity out of the littlest $$$, I'd suggest buying a cheaper DAC and spending your change on speakers.

Give a budget and intended listening conditions and members here will be able to advise you.

OP
mrcultureshock
Thanks for the advice. Here are my budget and listening conditions:

Budget: less than $1500

Listening condition: the system will be set up on my desk, along with a computer.

Needs: I'm looking for a high quality DAC/amp combo that can drive high impedance headphones as well as IEMs. Morever, this DAC/amp combo also needs to be able to drive studio monitors that are not too large for a desk. I'm looking to combine a headphone set up with a speaker set up because the space is limited.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Adi-2 DAC more than fulfils this requirement, so you're on the right track there, although as I said, you probably don't need to spend that much.

Just to clarify, you want a high-performance DAC/headphone amp with volume control and balanced outputs (i.e. for the active speakers). Is that correct?

OP
mrcultureshock
The Adi-2 DAC more than fulfils this requirement, so you're on the right track there, although as I said, you probably don't need to spend that much.

Just to clarify, you want a high-performance DAC/headphone amp with volume control and balanced outputs (i.e. for the active speakers). Is that correct?

That's correct.

Willem

Major Contributor
The point we are trying to make is that even quite cheap electronics are very good and that even very expensive speakers are not nearly as good. So a very large part of the budget should go to the speakers.

maty

Major Contributor
OP
mrcultureshock
Size of the room, distance of the speakers to the back wall and to the sides. I say it in case a larger woofer and rear bass-reflex.

My desk is in a loft (open 2nd floor), so the acoustics are not great. I don't need the speakers to project to the entire room. I just want good sound in the desk area.

maty

Major Contributor
Remember: electronic music -> bigger woofer and or subwoofer.

The best option is a 5.25" woofer, two amplifiers, tweeter with Class AB and front bass-reflex. If later you need more bass (electronic, hip hop ...) you can add a subwoofer.

Willem

Major Contributor
My personal favourite desktop speaker is the Harbeth P3ESR. I drive them with a second hand refurbished 2x100 watt Quad 405-2. The source is my desktop pc into an Odac usb dac.

Top Bottom