• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on upgrade choices for the best of Revel M106

lshivamber

Forum Donor
Have been loving the incredible material here, and Looking for some help in building out my M106 setup.

Currently using Roon Server -> Pi4/Ropiee -> Dac USB being replaced -> Amplifier being replaced -> M106

Choices being considered:

1. Pi4 -> Benchmark DAC3 HGC -> Benchmark AHB2. Is it correct to assume with this setup that the highest fidelity ouput would come from controlling volume on HGC, and not Roon directly?
2. Minidsp SHD -> Benchmark AHB2. This setup replaces Pi4 because SHD is Roon Ready (mostly there), so volume can be controlled by Roon. Minidsp SHD dac and DAC3 HGC seems to measure about the same on the reviews here?
3. Minidsp SHD -> Apolon (or comparable) Purifi Amp.

Would there be audible differences between these?

Any recommendations/tips on how to think about the trade-offs?

Thank you in advance

Astroboydivx

I would go Roon Server -> MiniDSP (Roon Endpoint, Volumio, DAC, DSP) -> Amp (I use a Purifi) -> M106

Per my signature below I have a similar setup but Kef LS50's

OP
L

lshivamber

Forum Donor
Thank you for your reply. Just curious if you are making much use of Dirac live?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
MiniDSP SHD is nice if you need the features, but there are many DAC's which measure as well for less money, check the reviews around here. Likewise there is a lot of clean power out there from Hypex and other Class D amps for $500 to $1000. Have fun.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Another vote for the SHD. I have no idea how good the streamer/Roon endpoint side is but as an owner of the 'measly' 2X4HD I warmly recommend having DSP/room correction. I'm used to messing around with REW (and rePhase) but Dirac should be very good. Also, you would have the option to seamlessly integrate a sub or two in the future.

OP
L

lshivamber

Forum Donor
The MiniDSP has a lot of plus features which make it an interesting choice. I was attracted to the SHD Power combo but concerned about the amp part.

Top Bottom