• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on Topping products (dx3pro vs D50s) - AK4493 vs ES9038

RFox

After much research, I wanted to replace my older Fiio E17/E09 combo for a better DAC and landed on Topping products. After tons of reading, I chose to go with the dx3pro (just got it today!) - Trying to get used to it (maybe have to wait for burn in?) - but it doesn't sound as nice as my E17/E09 combo (primarily used as a DAC/Preamp for Adamaudio A5X active monitors and Adam 7 Sub)

My setup:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ad...5-5-inch-100-watts.14968/reviews#review-13461

Now I see the D50s is out - and I'm considering returning the dx3pro (because it doesn't support LDAC and I'm not sure of the sound from the AK4493s)

With all the reading, I was drawn towards the AK DACs and hesitant to get the ESS ES9038Q2M based D50s

I know it's subjective (tried to research es9038q2m vs ak4493 to no avail :oops:)

So my question to the experts in this forum - should I keep the dx3pro and see if it grows on me - or bite the bullet, send it back and get the D50s with the hopes that the es9038 based DAC will tickle my fancy moving away from the trusted Fiio E17/E09 combo???

Thanks in advance!!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are a few thing you have to consider.
Unless you do a true blind testing, you can't be sure of the differences.
What makes you want to replace the Fiio E17/E09? Can't see that there is anything wrong with it.
You have to much emphasis on DAC chips. Most of them sound the same. The amp part (E09) on the other hand might be a bit coloured, but that's hard to know unless you measure it and blind test it.

If you really want to improve the sound you might consider doing this:
Improve the listening room (Bass traps, dampening)
Improve the frequency response from your speakers (miniDSP with measuring mic)

Burn in is just the process of your brain getting used to the "new" sound. But it's most likely it's your brain that's fooling you. I don't think you will get an audible improvement between a dx3pro and a D50s. It's the features that separates them. Go for the features not the "sound", LDAC vs headphone amp and volume knob. (I would personally go for the dx3pro)

OP
RFox

RFox

Thanks for the advice, you have some good points there! I've been using the E17/E09 combo for almost 5 years and my brain is definitely "burned in" to the sound they produce with the Adams - for the last 24 hours, I've been going back and forth between the dx3pro and the older setup - and keep finding the original setup sounding better (although the dx3pro is not "bad" - just different and seems to miss something!)

I'm NOT an audiophile, just know what I like when I hear it! That's why I chose active studio monitors over "normal" HiFi speakers - I like the neutral "honest" sound from monitors (which most audiophiles would scoff at !)

Using DSP & measuring mikes is a bit too much for my taste - guess I'll have to experiment a bit further and maybe get the D50s and just try a listening test in comparison and send the one back I don't like :rolleyes:

Could you expand on why you would personally go for the dx3pro (aside from real volume knob?!?)

FYI - I usually leave the volume control on the DAC/AMP fixed and use the PC sounds controls from the keyboard to control volume (which also means I won't fall into the trap of the dx3pro with pre-amp/line out surprise:eek: ! I leave it on full line out :cool:)

Thanks again!

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
although the dx3pro is not "bad" - just different and seems to miss something!
If I would guess, the reason you hear a difference if any is that if you don't have the exact same volume you will hear a difference. Another possible reason can be that your old amp/dac isn't as neutral and are adding some distortion / filtering. But unless you've done a true blind AB test it's really hard to be sure.

OP
RFox

RFox

After some critical listening and toggling back and forth, I decided to return the dx3pro and look more seriously at the D50s or the upcoming DX7s Pro - Maybe my Adam A5Xs are just too brutally honest (as studio monitors) and I wasn't hearing what I wanted from the dx3pro. It's still a good device for its price/perfomance mark - The E17/E09 combination seems to have more spatial presence and handles the cutovers between bass and mids better - especially at lower volumes (I'm using the Adams in a near field studion position, so close up triangle) :rolleyes:

There is a certain amount of experimentation necessary and no other way to judge this stuff without simply hearing it yourself!! All the reviews in the world don't help because sound quality is subjective :oops: and to each his own! It took me quite some time to find the combination I found 5 years ago as shown in the first post's link . . .

Thanks for the feedback - back to the drawing board :confused:

Cheers!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
After some critical listening and toggling back and forth, I decided to return the dx3pro and look more seriously at the D50s or the upcoming DX7s Pro - Maybe my Adam A5Xs are just too brutally honest (as studio monitors) and I wasn't hearing what I wanted from the dx3pro. It's still a good device for its price/perfomance mark - The E17/E09 combination seems to have more spatial presence and handles the cutovers between bass and mids better - especially at lower volumes (I'm using the Adams in a near field studion position, so close up triangle) :rolleyes:

There is a certain amount of experimentation necessary and no other way to judge this stuff without simply hearing it yourself!! All the reviews in the world don't help because sound quality is subjective :oops: and to each his own! It took me quite some time to find the combination I found 5 years ago as shown in the first post's link . . .

Cheers!

I hope you find the spatial presence you are looking for. You will probably have to spend a lot more money before you can see what makes you happy.

Either way, don't forget to enjoy the music!

sp4ce1nv4der

Hi Just got dx3pro (2 x AK4493) and im so happy with it. Listening it with my headphone ATH-M50 (and 1more Quadriver in-ear).
Previously i use dragonfly red (32-bit ESS 9016) -- price is similar. Its a matter of portable vs more (stable) power amp.
I started listening to all my old song with this big different signature.

Impression:
-- with the ATH-M50 i can hear big difference. The dx3pro sounds more flat, less dynamic, but its much more open, more detail (airy). Sound stage is much more clear. Music separation is very clear. Bass is deep controlled. I read that the RCA analog output is somehow problem? is really flat. But i guess that is the big different signature between AKM and Sabre chipset.
-- with my 1more Quad in ear -- similar impression more open etc.. but the changes is less noticeable compared with my ATH-M50. I guess the amp power does have big difference driving the ATH.

Will update my review once i try plug the DAC into my (Proceed PAV vs Denon 4308) + Dali Ikon 6 MK2 via the RCA (Chord C Line).

I heard the Topping E30 (using 1 x AK4493) dont have this RCA Analog problem. Maybe try that if you like the sound signature of AKM.
I love listening to: Electro house, deep, Jazz, Soul jam RnB ; less rock, metal song, or pop song.

Cheers!

Top Bottom